Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2002 9:45:33 AM EDT
Here is the story. I am a lawyer at a mid sized firm. The widow of a former client was ripped off by her churches youth pastor, so she came to us for help.
I got a judgment on the pastor for the money, but the church fired him and he took off out of state before I could collect (We have a three week wait to start collecting a judgment in this state). I don't know where he is, but there is a rumor that he went out to cali to pastor a church out there.
Most of our clients are rich or are businesses. I can't do for her what I would do for them, which is hire a PI, because she can't afford it and only a few grand is at stake.
I did a credit check on him and then had my sec call United Methodist churches around where he used to live in cali, with no luck.
I also have sent a blank letter to his old address with a request to the post office to not forward but rather to return it with the new address. I also sent some free (no cost) subpoenas to the various bishops and oversight groups of his church national body.
What the heck else can I do cheaply to find this guy so I can beg a local attorney in that state to sue on my judgment for cheap/free to get some justice for the widow?
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#1]
He's got to register his vehicle and DL within so many months of relocating. I don't know what the rule is with the Cali DMV, but I am sure you could get a judge to swear out an order.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#4]
If his name is not generic, like Smith, then look him up in various Central Appraisal Districts. There are many web sites that offer this public information for free-- depends on the county though.
(This only works if he owns property)

Oh-- if he owns property or a vehicle, file a lien against it. (if that's possible)
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Is she cute?
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#6]
This might be a little too easy, but try [url]www.worldpages.com[/url].  If he's in the phone book, it'll have him.  Hit the "find a person" option and you can search by name and state.

Worth a shot, and it's free.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I found out a month ago he split, and he had been gone a few weeks at that point.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#8]
try a dating website - like match.com or something...

*snicker*
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Happy.... Repeat after me. "Lexis is my friend!"
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I told my sob story to the westlaw guy this week and he gave me a free complete records check on the guy (that is way outside our plan). No new address or employer on him or his wife showed up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmm, Kind of scares me that a lawyer can just run a credit check on this guy WITHOUT him saying he could or even knowing about it....What the hell is this world coming to. To me, if anyone can run your credit report, it should not hold much water when buying anything. Just a thought...Trucker
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you know where he went to school?

I tracked down a guy one time, Just because he got stupid and listed himself on Classmates.com and Gradfinder.com
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hmm, Kind of scares me that a lawyer can just run a credit check on this guy WITHOUT him saying he could or even knowing about it....What the hell is this world coming to. To me, if anyone can run your credit report, it should not hold much water when buying anything. Just a thought...Trucker
View Quote

Happyshooter represents his client, who is a creditor of the deadbeat. He has the right to run a credit check in order to skip trace said deadbeat.

Happyshooter- I'll send you an IM from what I remember of my days of skip tracing. Don't know how they hold up now from a legal standpoint, but I'm sure you'll check that out.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Does this guy have a record?  Do you have his SSN and other vital statistics?

Link Posted: 9/19/2002 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Have you tried the personal ads?  I believe in this situation you would look under men seeking men......

Sorry   just hadda.....:)
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Happyshooter,

If he did move, then had to use a U-Haul or some other moving service. I would try and track his move that way first. If you have a LEO friend who might assist you in asking the movers. It might be an avenue worth trying. I have done the same thing in the past...asked the local movers a name and they helped me.

Or, do your own PI work and ask friends where his relatives live...then ask them.[:D]

[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 3:53:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Bump....please keep those suggestions coming in.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 4:13:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Find his Mother or father and have the Victim talk to one or both of them. I know if my mother or dad found out I ripped someone off they would be the first to help me make things right, wether I liked it or not. If I wouldnt make it right I am sure they would drop the dime on me. tough love is the best kind
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 6:39:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Contact Pizza places, retail stores (i.e. Radio Shack), etc. See if they will search their databases (they probably won't).

OR call EACH ONE up, giving them his name, to see if they respond with a number/address to confirm "delivery".... Works well when you have a small area to search, once you narrow the search area down.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 5:20:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Bump one last time to get advice from weekend-only readers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top