Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2013 8:25:14 AM EDT
Just got back from the bank. They asked me for a 2nd id because i didn't have my debit card to withdraw money.

Was it a poor choice to use my CHL as a 2nd id?  
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I always use mine as ID when I vote.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:29:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Anytime I am asked for ID I give my CHL.  Because fuck you that's why.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#3]
No it's not a poor choice. It's a state ID and has your name and picture on it. I've also used it as a second ID.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone ever hear of anyone that won't accept it?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have seen many clerks give the WTF is that look.  No clue what it is.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Best reason there is.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#7]
used mine at the voting booth this year. Old ladies working the table where like

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#8]
My gf used hers to buy drinks in Detroit at a Tigers game last year. The guy looked at her funny, then said that was a good thing to have and asked if it was valid in Michigan.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I never have.  I don't like to advertise any personal information I don't have to, and the majority of people have never seen one anyway, even in states that have shall issue laws on the books.

ETA:  There are only two reasons (unless you count using one to buy a firearm) to use a CCW permit as ID.  If you absolutely have no other alternative and if you just want people to know you can or do carry a gun.

There's going to be some debate in this thread so I just threw it out there early.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen many clerks give the WTF is that look.  No clue what it is.

I forgot my DL one day and only had my concealed license on me at one of those outside mall bars found in south Florida.
The bar guy wouldn't accept it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Best Buy recently demanded my ID when I was returning an item.  I handed the cashier my Florida Concealed Weapon Permit, and was greeted with the stereotypical deer in the headlights looks.

However, it was accepted as ID, and the merch was returned.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Absolutely.

It's a fantastic second ID. In some cases it's better than a drivers licensee I believe.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Utah's state liquor stores wont accept their own state's CCW permit. Nor would they accept a DEA license.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I used mine at the bank and told my wife about it. She called me a dumbass for not using one of the bank's credit cards.

I really want to get one of these, so the next time I'm asked to show my ID before finger fucking a gun at Academy, I can slam it down and say "CHL Braaaaahhhhhahhhh!"
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I always use mine as ID when I vote.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:40:32 AM EDT
[#16]
did it accidently at Chase bank, no problem and she didn't even bat an eye.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Just give it to them and give them that showdown snake eyed stare..........and slowly take a couple steps back.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I use it when I buy firearms. Much easier than going out to the car to get my vehicle registration.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:42:15 AM EDT
[#19]
nope. I use mine that way too
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I had a gas station refuse to sell me beer when I showed them my CHL (DL was expired and that was no good either)

I was like what in the flying fuck.

I got my passport with an expired DL and CHL photocopied.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Funny I should come on here and see this thread because my husband and I went to open a new bank account the other day and I had to use my pistol permit as my second form of ID, hehe.  At first no one knew what it was but figured it out quickly and I got a few strange looks....oh well!  It's a .gov ID with even more personal info on it than my DL!
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Utah's state liquor stores wont accept their own state's CCW permit. Nor would they accept a DEA license.

"Card me for booze? Here's my DEA# - I can dispense stuff that makes alcohol seem like mother's milk."  Don't know about you, but I don't actually have a picture ID with a DEA number on it.  Nor do I carry a copy of that number anywhere on my person.  If my wallet is stolen, I don't want that number in the wild.  

I usually keep my CCW obscured in the wallet, but did use it as a form of ID when registering as a patient in an ER.  The registrar said they get CCW permits for IDs "all the time."
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

DOE wouldn't accept mine as a 2nd ID.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:48:27 AM EDT
[#24]
If you think about it, it's actually a better ID.

What does it take to get a driver's license? A birth certificate?

What does it take to get a permit? A background check.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I usually use my DL. But one day at Frys I grabbed the CHL by mistake. The (incredibly fucking hot) girl behind the counter noticed it and smiled and said she just got hers the other day, then started chatting about what she carries and guns in general.

My wife was waiting outside in the car.

FML.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#26]
I carry where I'm not supposed to ( banks, church, post office... ) so I don't advertise.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I carry where I'm not supposed to ( banks, church, post office... ) so I don't advertise.

I think you just did.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I accidentally let my license expire once and tried to get into this place with my CC license.  So they wouldn't take my expired drivers license or my current good CCW....Fuck the Round House.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:26:04 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

My gf used hers to buy drinks in Detroit at a Tigers game last year. The guy looked at her funny, then said that was a good thing to have and asked if it was valid in Michigan.

On a side note, a friend's GF got into a bar a couple weeks ago with her scuba ID.  We were all pretty surprised.  She had waited until we pulled up to check if she had her DL with her.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:26:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I used mine at the bank and told my wife about it. She called me a dumbass for not using one of the bank's credit cards.

I really want to get one of these, so the next time I'm asked to show my ID before finger fucking a gun at Academy, I can slam it down and say "CHL Braaaaahhhhhahhhh!"

http://patriotpromotions.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/concealed-carry-permit-badge.jpg

Your Academy makes you show an ID before handling a gun?  Is that a new policy or do you look 15?

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#31]
I've done that before too, no issues.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Ok, well I won't worry about it.  I couldn't really tell if the clerk cared one way or another.

I guess the only thing that made me think it was a bad idea was when she started typing the numbers in the computer.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Why would it be?

I use mine all the time.

I also have a TWIC card that I use.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ok, well I won't worry about it.  I couldn't really tell if the clerk cared one way or another.

I guess the only thing that made me think it was a bad idea was when she started typing the numbers in the computer.  

Big brother already knows you have it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No it's not a poor choice. It's a state ID and has your name and picture on it. I've also used it as a second ID.

No picture on mine.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely.

It's a fantastic second ID. In some cases it's better than a drivers licensee I believe.

Absolutely,didn't have to get background checked and fingerprinted to get the DL.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I really wish we had a like button for posts just like this one.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That'll come back to bit you in the ass one day.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Why would it be?

I use mine all the time.

I saw TWIC and your state and assumed it meant Texas WIC card.......

Thankfully I googled "TWIC" before I started bashing
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

US border guard wasn't too cool with it, on a return trip from Canada. This was a loooong time ago, possibly pre-9/11.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would it be?

I use mine all the time.

Fucker.  I was really, really hoping I could make somebody look stupid.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Last time I did that, I was asked if I was a police officer
But this was the same teller who asked if we enjoyed our boat because we had a loan for our Mercury Mariner
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would it be?

I use mine all the time.

It's not hard! I try to use mine now and then and outside the transportation industry no one has ever heard of them!
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would it be?

I use mine all the time.

It's not hard! I try to use mine now and then and outside the transportation industry no one has ever heard of them!

I got mine because I worked security in lots of ports on contract for a while.
It expires this year.  I'm contemplating getting it renewed, even though I'm out of
the industry.  It's just a neat thing to have.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

yes and also  my military ID both active duty and my dependent ID when I was a kid...

mostly in Areas where there was no Military Installation near by...

Hell one time the only ID I had on my were LEO credentials (with picture) and I was in uniform buying spray paint....the women did not want to sell me the paint because she said I would then turn around and arrest her for selling paint to a customer without proper ID
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I grabbed my Idaho CCW instead of my DL (the two look identical) when buying booze at a grocery store in Vegas.  The chick looked at it, looked at me and said, "This is an illegal ID, sir." and pulled out a pair of scissors like she was going to cut it up.

I gave her the, "What the fuck, moron?" routine and got a manager over there most ricky-tick.

That was the only problem I ever had.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

DOE also has a policy that you can not use a DOE ID (looks just like a CAC card but says "DOE) on it as an ID other than at a DOE facility..
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DOE also has a policy that you can not use a DOE ID (looks just like a CAC card but says "DOE) on it as an ID other than at a DOE facility..

I wouldn't want to. I keep mine in a locked drawer at work unless I'm going somehwere it's needed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I got carded the other day. The server looked sceptical and asked for a drivers license. I went ahead and gave it to him (he was probably just worried his boss would get onto him if he didn't do things exactly right) and commented that the sheriff was hurt that he didn't like the ID they gave me (here in CO the sheriff is the one that hands out CCWs).
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#50]
I've done it several times and nobody even gives a second glance. I think folks are used to seeing it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top