Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2002 3:24:18 PM EDT
have you ever used these "oil  treatments" like "slick 50"
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I used Dura Lube once a really long time ago when I had a Jeep Cherokee, I didnt notice anything better or worse.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried "Slick Willy" once, to help me pick up chicks.  Didn't work for me. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Aimless is right, it is all garbage, save your money and do frequent oil changes it is better.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#5]
You should just make the switch to Mobil 1

you WILL feel the diff.  
just my .02
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Leave it to a bunch of people in a firearms forum to have the right answer. I've been a certified mechanic for as long as some on this forum have been alive, and I've NEVER seen an engine ruined by correct maintenance. Regular oil changes and good air filtration are all that any engine needs to survive (within reason). DuPont specifically says Teflon is NOT an engine lubricant and should not be used as such.GOOD oils have an additive package that plates out over time, that and contamination from combustion byproducts are the reason for changes.

This is a question that comes up in many forums, and I have such a hard time trying to convince people that the use of a good oil and regular changes will do more for your engine than any "miracle additive" made.

FWIW, I use Mobil 1 mostly because it is spec'd in most of the equipment i work on
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks

i love this place, friggen encyclopedia of practical knowledge

i'll stick to changing the oil every 3k, and stay away from the snake oil

Link Posted: 9/12/2002 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I will add a thing I have done with new vehicles that can not hurt, I put a magnet on the oil filter, it was to keep the metal scapings off of the engine, out of the oil as it recirculated, I don't know if this helped, but it did make me feel better. Anyone out there know if this is a good or bad thing ????
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I will add a thing I have done with new vehicles that can not hurt, I put a magnet on the oil filter, it was to keep the metal scapings off of the engine, out of the oil as it recirculated, I don't know if this helped, but it did make me feel better. Anyone out there know if this is a good or bad thing ????
View Quote

when you change the oil, is the crap stuck to the magnet?
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#11]
only thing i've added, that I can remember, is some Marvel Mystery Oil.
Did it make a difference? who the hell knows.

caveat emptor
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#12]
A magnet won't hurt a thing. Many engines come with magnetic drain plugs to help catch metal particles in the sump. New engines have a greater quantity of these shavings due to break in wear, but there are always some metallic particles in the oil.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I've used olive oil once but it did not provide any real advantages to regular oil.

Valvoline is what I now use in my car.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#14]
The local pharmacy gives you a free glass of vaseline for every bottle of Aspirin sold...and I don't want to know why...
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#15]
My dad used slick 50 a long time ago when it came in the old round cardboard and steel cans, but we didn't notice any difference.  Tried it once again about ten years ago.  Probably a big waste of money and it really seems to thin the oil a lot.  Really noticable when you change the oil.  

Also tried some squeeze bottle stuff that looked like transmission fluid that Slick 50 made for 2 cycle engines.  Just feed slowly into the carb.  I think the only thing it did for the Lawn Boys and outboard was make them smoke the neighborhood up while I put it in.  The one Lawn Boy was from the mid seventies though and it still ran perfect when we upgraded and got rid of it a couple years ago, so who knows.  Come to think of it, the outboard is a early '60s model and it's still running today too...and so is the one car.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

when you change the oil, is the crap stuck to the magnet?
View Quote
Ok here is the story, I used a knife and hammer to cut into it(the filter) , no metal savings, I almost cut the shit out of myself, but yes the oil in the filter had a metallic sheen to it, so I figure it must be doing something..
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Slick Fifty-- Leave it on the shelf. Nothing replaces proper and scheduled preventative maintenance.

Magnet-- Must be good idea, new allison auto transmissions behind the DURAMAX use one on top
of spin-on filters for the transmission.

Marvel Mystery Oil-- Reputed to be no more than a mix of kerosene and auto transmission fluid.

IMHO

Link Posted: 9/12/2002 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree, marvel mistery oil forget it junk.Just a thinner, leave it out.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#20]
The only fuel treatment I know of that actually does work won't help you - LubroMoly Diesel Purge.  It gutted out the semi-clogged fuel system in our 1981 Mercedes Benz 240D.

the_reject
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

M4_aiming_at_U..I have an old Cherokee. I tried a can of Restore. Made it run and feel like an old Cherokee![:D]
View Quote

Yep, I got rid of that 'Ol crap wagon years ago.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Worcestershire sauce.  Doesn't do a damn thing for your engine, but it makes your oil taste better. [;)]
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I know of a gal who added this "Trick Lube" shit to a brand new car BIG MISTAKE! the rings never seated and car never ran worth a hoot,lots of oil use etc. and hard to smog DUH!

If it's a new car do the oil change religiously,stick with a quality oil.I would not advise taking your pride an joy to a Quickie Lube Anything!!! they sometimes leave out the reason you brought it there!(oil).just some .02 yes as in AIR!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top