[#2]
Get to your doc and get the script.

It is your uric acid that is too high.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Amputation is the fastest way.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I have gout. Worst fucking thing ever. I've tried everything.

Losing weight has helped significantly.

I don't have any cures for immediate relief though.

If its real bad I usually take 4 Advil and 3 Tylenol. Makes it bearable at least.

Good luck man.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#5]
.40S&W
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Tart Cherry Juice, or so I have heard.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get to your doc and get the script.

It is your uric acid that is too high.

I have Indocin, Norco, Oxy, and nothing is touching it. I need to walk tomorrow at the latest.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Go to doctor. Get script for colchicine. That's what my boss takes when his flares up.

Also, cherry juice. Gallons of cherry juice. Not kidding.

ETA: I don't think you're walking tomorrow, regardless.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#9]
They say cherries are gouts worst enemy.

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have gout. Worst fucking thing ever. I've tried everything.

Losing weight has helped significantly.

I don't have any cures for immediate relief though.

If its real bad I usually take 4 Advil and 3 Tylenol. Makes it bearable at least.

Good luck man.

I've lost a lot of weight too. This is my first attack in almost 3 years. I forgot how bad it hurt. Only description I can come up with is the worst inescapable pain you can imagine.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't have it but I've heard cherry juice is the shit.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Fresh (preferably black) cherries or fresh cherry juice is widely touted as a home remedy...
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Go to doctor. Get script for colchicine. That's what my boss takes when his flares up.

Also, cherry juice. Gallons of cherry juice. Not kidding.

Got it, I'll up my intake. Been taking 8oz twice a day.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I got the gout....

this is what inmate at a jail I worked at years ago would scream every morning right before breakfast...

I GOT DA GOUT!!!!

sorry I got nothing to add other than he claimed cherry juice as well...but not cherry flavored grape juice (this is what a lot of them are) but true Cherry juice...
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Thats the ticket. My Pop used to get it bad after a pickled herring binge. Cherry juice sraightened him right out.

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#16]
cherry juice, stop easting acidic foods and no alcohol. ultrasound and laser can help propel the fluid to the lymphatic's, for a faster recovery.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Concentrated cherry juice is the only thing that will slow mine down.

--IS

See how well I dance.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#19]
You need to get on the maintenance drug to keep your uric acid levels down so this does not happen.

If there is no way around it, get yourself into an express med or ER and get some colchisine asap. If you have documentation in your medical files, they should e able to hook you up. If it is not documented, then your fucked, because they will want to draw blood and wait for test results.

Cherry juice helps, but not when your in full blown flare up mode and need relief that fast. It also must be real cherry juice, not cherry flavored juice.

If all else fails, when you get up in the morning, hobble around on the foot for a few minutes, then get a good wrap on it. keeping it compressed will help get you mobile. You will still be one hurting SOB tho.

I have 3 different stashes of the flare up drug, for this very reason.

I feel your pain. The last great flare up I had almost did permanent joint damage to my big toe. I now take the maintenance drug ( alipurinol) every day. Sucks to have to take a med every day, but it beats what your going through right now.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Drink lots of water, and double doses of naproxin (aleve) for abt 3 days.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quit smoking also (if you do).
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#22]
iodized salt on your food epson salt in your immersion solution. The old black guy down the street carried a buckeye seed
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#23]

I drink as much water as I can stand and it helps within a couple of hours.

The idea is to dilute the uric acid in the blood stream by passing it out the kidneys.

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#24]
My father gets it every once in awhile.

He was advised to drink cherry juice. Apparently has something in it that breaks up the uric acid crystals in your joints.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Eat some sausage and other fatty meats.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats the ticket. My Pop used to get it bad after a pickled herring binge. Cherry juice sraightened him right out.  

Mudbugs are my weakness.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quit smoking also (if you do).

No smoking. I dip a little snuff though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Go to your doctor. I take Allupurinol every day, haven't had a flare up in over 8 years.

If you know you have it, take preventative measures. Once a flare up happens, you have to ride it out.

I used to take Indomethacin for flare ups and it would knock it down within a few hours but the docs don't like to give it away anymore as it can cause other issues.

ETA: Sorry. I know how it feels.

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You need to get on the maintenance drug to keep your uric acid levels down so this does not happen.

If there is no way around it, get yourself into an express med or ER and get some colchisine asap. If you have documentation in your medical files, they should e able to hook you up. If it is not documented, then your fucked, because they will want to draw blood and wait for test results.

Cherry juice helps, but not when your in full blown flare up mode and need relief that fast. It also must be real cherry juice, not cherry flavored juice.

If all else fails, when you get up in the morning, hobble around on the foot for a few minutes, then get a good wrap on it. keeping it compressed will help get you mobile. You will still be one hurting SOB tho.

I feel your pain. The last great flare up I had almost did permanent joint damage to my big toe. I now take the maintenance drug ( alipurinol) every day. Sucks to have to take a med every day, but it beats what your going through right now.

I was on Allopurinol for a few years, then I lost weight, and quit taking them. This is the first attack in several years. Damn Mudbugs did me in. When you get a good mess of them you gotta tear 'em up.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Eat some sausage and other fatty meats.

Yeah right!

It was once known as the illness of Kings and due to "high" living.

P.S. I know you are kidding about the fatty meats
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I was having gout attacks 4 times a year till i went on allopurinol 300 mg a day.

no quick fix for it other than colchicine.
Any one that has ever taken it will know you are not leaving the house for 24 hrs or so but you will get rid of it.

I have tried damn near every home remedy and nothing will get rid of it faster than the pills that keeps you glued to the shitter.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#32]
get to the doctor, he'll probably put you on a dose of targeted steriods, then put you on something like Alloprinol (sp). When you are back to an equalibrium then start to drink plenty of water, stay away from spinach, kale, and other dark green veggies. Restrict dairy products, red meat and drink plenty of water. Did I say drink plenty of water? Well do that, drink plenty of water, that is.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Go to your doctor. I take Allupurinol every day, haven't had a flare up in over 8 years.
If you know you have it, take preventative measures. Once a flare up happens, you have to ride it out.
I used to take Indomethacin for flare ups and it would knock it down within a few hours but the docs don't like to give it away anymore as it can cause other issues.

I have Indocin, but it makes me puke. Norco makes it bearable, but I can't go anywhere.

I've had all the tests, diagnosed 10 years ago. Started on meds, but quit taking them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

what are the other issues?

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was on Allopurinol for a few years, then I lost weight, and quit taking them. This is the first attack in several years. Damn Mudbugs did me in. When you get a good mess of them you gotta tear 'em up.

I think we're done here.

Didn't the doc explain that you need to take them forever?

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have Indocin, but it makes me puke. Norco makes it bearable, but I can't go anywhere.

I've had all the tests, diagnosed 10 years ago. Started on meds, but quit taking them.

Don't do that, you do that you pay the price.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Nothing fast. Chug water, chug cherry juice, eat cherries.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I think we're done here.
Didn't the doc explain that you need to take them forever?

No

I haven't taken them in 7 years.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what are the other issues?

It can be rough on your stomach, like cause ulcers kind of rough. Also your liver and kidneys.

It works but its not gentle. I never had any problems and it worked well for me but it was treating the symptoms. Allupurinol treats the cause.

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mudbugs are my weakness.

Shellfish, coke, Turkey, and pork are the classic triggers.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
They say cherries are gouts worst enemy.

Yes, black cherries.  Not the red ones they put in your drinks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

didn't say it would happen right away.........
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Prednisone will work the fastest.  Then get on a maintenance drug.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends, i had debilitating attacks, and modified my diet while taking allopurinol, i cleared it all up and stopped the meds. My uric acid levels are still down and I'm attack free for the last 5 years.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Cherrrys work for me fresh, juice, or dried.. reduces the pain about 75% over night. Not much else seems to work for me..

Avoid hight Purine foods.

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Colchicine.

1 pill every 2 hours until the attack quits or you get sick. They're like 0.6 mg and work for me everytime.

Indocine don't tell it shit for me.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#48]
I find that alcohol helps*.

* I'm not a doctor, I've never had gout, I didn't stay at a holiday inn express last night, but I do like to drink

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#49]
I take Allopurinol but when I get a flareup my doc prescribed Prednisone, 2 20mg tablets and it's gone by morning.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 3:06:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Tart cherry 1000mg once a day. Started taking them almost 3 years ago & haven't had a problem since.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top