Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2002 2:31:14 PM EDT
question: if you lived in an apartment with no garage, where would you store five 6 gallon cans full of gas? I've toped them, and my car's tank off tonight, and in the likely event that i'm just being paranoid, i'd like to leave the stored for a while. would you keep them in the basement of the apartment? howbout the trunk of the car? any other ideas?

i've doped the cans up with fuel stabalizer, anyone know how long this stuff lasts?

thanks

Link Posted: 9/10/2002 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know about the storage. But I've had very good results with gas stabilizer for at least 1 year.

I put it in the tank of my snow blower, turn off the fuel and run the carb dry.

Next year, turn on the fuel, 2 pulls and it started right up.

Link Posted: 9/10/2002 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Trivia time - fuel cans are nearly as safe to store as water cans provided there is LITTLE TO NO AIR SPACE at the top of the can.  Fill them as far as you safely are able!

Having done that, keep them somewhere you can get at them but out of your way - basement isn't so bad, neither is a utility room or closet if you have one.  Make sure the lids are on tight!

FFZ
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#3]
no kidding

i was worried about fumes getting out of the can somehow and being touched off by the furnace pilot light
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Use Bean-O
or a rental storage unit near a heat source
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Given that you're a 'noid.  A
Para, with wings...

Mosey on over to the neighbors 2'nd closest bush...etc.
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Given that you're a 'noid.  A
Para, with wings...

Mosey on over to the neighbors 2'nd closest bush, dig a hole...etc.
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#7]
In Minneapolis we hae "friendly" gas... 85% ethanol... doesn't store for crap.... Even with "Stabil"

My .02 worth.
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmm... Gas goes bad if it sits too long, doesn't it (turn to a varnish-like substance in fuel lines/valves/carbs, turn to a less usefull-as-fuel compound in tanks)??
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Trunk of your car is a BAD idea!  Illegal in many areas due to fact in a collision it will rupture and burn like crazy or explode.  No steel panel behind rear seat as would be required if a tank back there.

Storage near flame sources can be dicey.  Any fume leak (common) and KABOOM!

Actually, running the carb dry when using StaBil is not real good idea.  Here's why:  When gaskets, needle valves and the like are new, they contain a "plasticiser" to keep them pliable.  When exposed to gasoline, the plasticisers are "leached" out and replaced by gasoline.  As long as the gas is there, they are OK for years.  Let them dry out and they get hard and shrink.  Result CAN be leaking and/or non functioning carb.

Interesting about gas going bad.  Most of the problem is caused by bacteria that live in the water in bottom of container and "eat" gasoline!  Their waste products we know as "varnish".  Evaporation and slow migration throught plastic containers can also rob gas of the lighter, more volatile components of the brew making engines hard to start.  Tightly sealed, clean and with a good stabilizer the stuff can last for years.  Best to rotate SHTF stocks annually, however.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top