Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2002 1:03:27 PM EDT
I am looking for a multipurpose portable radio with short wave, weather, and more. Kind of a all purpose shtf type radio which can operate on several power sources. I was thinking something the size of a small boombox maybe ??  I don't want to spend a small fortune either.
Any recommendations ?? [:D]
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#1]
i went through this not too long ago and decided on the grundig yacht boy 400pe. it is small - about 6x8", ac or batt, has all the bands you mention. two other items seemed to offer a nice alternative, - the yaesu vx7r, vx5r. they are hand held units that woudl be really neat to have, but are about 3 times the cost of the 400pe. i figured after i got some experience, maybe i would grow into the yaesu models.

i've seen the yacht boy on ebay for around 100.00. the yeasu modes are around 275-350.

a site i found very helpful was:

[url]www.dxing.com[/url]
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quite frankly, instead of one to do it all I would suggest two, a good HF (shortwave), AM broadcast, and FM broadcast rig and a good scanner. You can get both in small packages. The only units that have all in one package and have any quality to them are amatuer radio transcievers.

But if you are really serious about SHTF communications, take the few hours of study it takes and get your amatuer radio license. It is easy, cheap ($8), and for only a little more $$ than you are going to pay for a quality HF reciver and scanner you can get a used Icom 706 that will listen to all you could want to and enable you to talk as well... all in a small 12v powered package. When the SHTF, the ability to not only listen to info but respond to confirm it, request specific info, or contact your friends will be invaluable.
View Quote

GS, thanks for the reply, I intend to get the license but want a receiver as well. Which would you recommend for two seperate radios as you mentioned ??
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Yacht Boy isn't what you want.

This is the PERFECT radio for what you want:

[url=http://www.grundigradio.com/product/shortwave_radio/fr_200_emergency_radio/fr_200_emergency_radio.asp]Grundig FR 200 Emergency Radio[/url]

AM/FM/shortwave

AC power, AA battery, or handcrank

[img]http://www.grundigradio.com/product/shortwave_radio/fr_200_emergency_radio/BFR200.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top