Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2002 9:02:52 PM EDT
Someone previously posted a thread on the origin of a perticular profanity...

I picked this one up from one of my co-workers, so I thought I'd pass it on...
-----------------------------------

The origin of this perticular word appears to have come from shipping abbreviations...

Some time ago, there apparently was a need to ship dired/powdered manure (i.e. fertilizer) on ocean going wooden ships...

Now when dried manure gets wet (as it would in the bottom of a ship's hold back then), the bacteria it contains reactivate, and start producing methnane gas.

Methane, in addition to making the hold smell like crap, is of course quite flammable/explosive, and this was before electric lights. The ship's crew had to use candles, lanterns, and other sources of ignition for lighting, so the first time someone went down far enough into a manure-carrying ship's hold (methane being heavier than air), KaBOOM!

Thereafter, shipments of manure were marked 'Ship High In Transit' (i.e. Put this stuff up high in the hold, so it won't get wet), which was eventually abreviated 'S.H.I.T.'

Apparently, someone connected what was in the shipments with the abbreviation, and the name stuck...
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, Bullshiphighintransit.

It's cute though. No offense to you, Dave_A, but some dumbasses think they are being let into a "secret" and feel all smug about how they suddenly "know" something others don't. And so, without thinking, the most stupid crap gets spread around. Heck, just pick up a dictionary, or go to www.m-w.com (Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top