Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2002 2:45:39 PM EDT
Hey guys, I just went through 180  rounds of some more south african ammo i had purchased a few weeks ago (battle packs).. And since this is the 3rd time i've used it, i've noticed its having some pretty nasty effects on me.. We all know it has that wonderfull ammonia/gunpowerd smell.. Well i've noticed that for a day or so after i shoot this stuff , i can still taste it in my mouth on the back of my tounge and even feel the residue in my lungs... Maybe since i'm a non-smoker i just notice this more? Does anyone else get this? Its enough to make me not even want to shoot this stuff anymore.. not even wolf smells this bad..  I agree its nice cheap ammo compared to putting wolf through your AR, but these after effects are just not worth the money saved to me.. Anyone have any suggestions for any ammo that might be similarly priced with brass casing and no crappy smell/residue ?

Anyone get this same problem  or am I the only one? this was shot at an OUTDOOR range..
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I shoot South African stuff frequently and I have noticed that it does create alot of smoke. Its never bothered me though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Try reloading and add a little potpourri to the powder.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I can smell it when I'm shooting it but it doesn't leave any "aftertaste" with me.

But then again I smoke many Camels daily.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 2:58:59 PM EDT
[#5]
oh my god, i thought it was just me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah., i get that from it too.  i think it's the ammonia smell, but i still hack away
, i don't get an "aftertaste from the SA, per se, i only get that when i'm shooting solid lead .38 or .357 indoors though. i also get a blue/grey substance in my mucous(yeah, i know, i know, but i do)
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Try reloading and add a little potpourri to the powder.
View Quote

This is too godamn tempting!  I'm going to create a "sniffer" round next time I'm at the bench!  Maybe a small grain powder that take up less case volume?  BLC2?
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Electricview,
Send it to me. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#8]
The first shots through my AR were Wolf ( Yea I know, now) I almost threwup that first day.

A few days later I went shooting again, but the stomach turning never happened again.

I then moved on to SA, stinky, but not that bad.

I've shot enough of it now I don't even notice the smell.

I did dust off 20 rounds of XM193 the other day very quickly and I think it's worse then wolf!!

I was surprised that the XM193 is the worst smelling of thewm all, I was expecting the sweet smell of new gunpowder so I sorta sucked the smell in as I was shooting.
Bad move, my mouth and nose instantly turned to cotton mouth!
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#9]
The way it was explained to me was where/what celluose is in the powder.This ammo reminds me of a cat box that is anything but smokeless which means your gas system/bolt needs more care.Stick with PMC or Winchester....just another two cents....
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Hopefully a pissing match won't follow..

But let me get this straight, your recommending PMC over surplus ammo?

Edited to say:
(In best eddie murphy simulating a white doctor voice)

So let me get this straight, your getting this burning sensation?

Damn Spellchecker still isn't working!!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#12]
u think south african reeks then dont shoot wolf.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hopefully a pissing match won't follow..

But let me get this straight, your recommending PMC over surplus ammo?

Edited to say:
(In best eddie murphy simulating a white doctor voice)

So let me get this straight, your getting this burning sensation?

Damn Spellchecker still isn't working!!!!
View Quote

PMC over Battle Pack? anyday of the week.Winchester preferred.As for the Kitty dibble post.Your a braver man for licking THAT box than me neither one appeals to my appetite ACK!
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#14]
There is a flash suppressant in the SA. You may be reacting to the compound. I burned a battlepack through my Bushy M4 at a local indoor centerfire range and I think about 1/2 the smoke was filtered through my lungs! The next 2 days I could notice the effect... But generally outdoors I don't notice it much.

[8D]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I hate shooting indoors. I always wash up real well afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I sniff the smoke coming out the end of the barrel. It smells really good when you bump fire a mag full through your buddies bushmaster!!!

MY 3000 (MORE) ROUNDS FROM SPORTSMANSGUIDE SHOWED UP TODAY!!!!!! I am going to roll around in the stuff!!!!

Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

i also get a blue/grey substance in my mucous(yeah, i know, i know, but i do)
View Quote

Pics! We need pics!
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#18]
FYI current production PMC is made in RSA..
Republic of South Africa
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#19]
What you are smelling is asbestos particles which is used as a coating to control the powder burn rate.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What you are smelling is asbestos particles which is used as a coating to control the powder burn rate.
View Quote

I love the smell of asbestos in the morning.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#22]
None of them bother me.  Only the black powder on my hands from the Wolf when I police up the "brass."  I've never shot indoors, except... uh nevermind.

TS

[X]
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 12:43:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Well thats surprising, i coughed up good amounts of flegm today becuase of this stuff.. i dont taste it anymore now..but i can still tell there's a little in my lungs (or maybe lining it).. The wolf at first smelled bad to me.. but i was shooting the ak with the ar, and the wolf NEVER gives me any problems like the SA after shooting.. Maybe since i'm shooting an m4 its shooting the gas/smoke back towards me becuase of the compensator on the end of the gun? either way, When we first got there i was treated to the NICE fresh smell of REAL gunpowder, i think i want my m4 smelling like that when i'm shooting.. cuz the SA still makes me gag a bit when shooting.. winchester in my area is a rip off, its like 5.99 (or maybe it was 6.99) for a box of 20... so thats out of the question.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top