Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2002 7:23:09 AM EDT
rotten eggs??

I can really smell it when I turn the water on in the shower and the sink.  I noticed it elsewhere in the house yet.  Whatever it is, it just started a few days ago?  Any thoughts on what the problem could be, solution?

Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#2]
when you turn the water on and it begins to go down the drain it reactivates all the nasty critters living in the drain.Ever open up a clogged drain? [puke]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:28:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Rotten egg smell means you have sulphur in your water.  It's probably a by-product of the treatment facility

The quickest and cheapest way to take care of it is to go to your local home store and get an in-line filter for your plumbing system.  You can install it near where your main comes in.  The filters should be replaced every 3 months or when the smell comes back.  I don't know how often that may be depending on how bad it gets.  

You may consider getting some other kind of water treatment system, too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:32:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How does it taste?  
View Quote

Tastes like crap, but it always has...

Thanks guys, I was thinking it was probably sulfur, but wasn't for sure.  I will check out those inline filters.  Appriciate the help
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:44:40 AM EDT
[#6]
My water softener greatly reduces Sulfer smell, but doesn't do much for the taste.

It REALLY smells when I get home from vacation!  It never fails...  When my wife and I get home from being out of town, I'll ask her if she farted.  "No honey.  It was the water."  Oh yeah.  Duh.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Another potential source of this smell is the "water heater anode", a metal rod placed in the water heater to reduce corrosion due to electrolysis.  When they get near the end, they sometimes create a smell.
Asking a local plumbing supply house may help clear it up for you.
How old is your water heater?
Does the cold water also carry the aroma?
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:51:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Does it smell that way mainly when you run the hot water? You might want to check out wour water heater - clean it or replace it - then put in a filter.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#9]
eshell may have hit the nail on the head. If the anode is old it can cause bacteria growth which produced hydrogen sulfide, ie the rotten egg smell.
If you need to replace the anode you also have to disinfect the heater with  bleach.
Also, if the water temp setting is below 140 degrees the bacteria may grow anyway, so I've had to increase my temp seting to keep my hot water from smelling.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I always liked the smell of sulphur.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 8:13:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I once removed a giant hairball from the shower drain.  It looked like a drowned rat, and smelled like one. The drain is suspect.  Try draino, then bleach or other disinfectent.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok, tried the hot and cold water test.  Hot water smells terrible---Cold water smells fine.  I take it that the water heater anode is what is giving me problems?  Are these replaceable?
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#14]
That depends on your water heater.  My old one didn't have a replacable anode but it can be replaced on the new one I installed last summer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top