Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2002 4:16:47 AM EDT
I have been in sales jobs for about 8 years now.  They have been very "up and down" with regards to income and length of employment.  I am really starting to get burned out on this profession and was considering making a change.  I am interested in finding employment in a field that has a high demand, pays decent, and won't take forever to get into.

I recently started going back to school (1 night class right now) in preparation for possibly going into the medical field.  There is a very high demand for nurses and Radiological/X-ray techs.  And my wife and I are planning on eventually moving to Florida, where I know there is an even higher demand.

My question is which way to go?  Should I go the RN route or the Rad/Xray tech route?  I know the RN makes more money and may be slightly higher in demand, but I don't know if I'd like it as much as perhaps doing the Rad Tech.  Both programs will cost about the same in time and money.

If anyone has any advice or experiences, or even suggestions for other professions that meet my criteria, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:02:16 AM EDT
[#1]
All other things being equall, I would go the RN route. RN'S have a much more diverse career path and greater opprotunities for advancement.

Of course you could always follow the route I chose, EMS. Long hours, low pay, no respect from the general public or the medical community.
But still I love doing a job that I know most people could never do.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:24:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I think it would depend on what you are "really" interested in.  If nuc-med, ultra sound or X-ray is what your interested and you don't want to provide "patient care" then go that way.

If you think you might like to try a little of everything, make decent money, go the RN way, and I would go ahead and get your BSN, it can and will open even more doors for you. Nursing for the most part is about patient care, ie taking care of the patient.  However there are areas of nursing that have limited patient care such as OR nursing, or management, patient advocate or teaching.  There are also areas that allow more autonomy such as home health nurses.  

By getting your BSN, you open the door to a natural progression of more education and a bigger pay check.  I went nurse anesthetist and don't regret it for a moment, and the pay isn't that bad either ie almost 6 figures with 7 weeks of vacation a year.  

Wally
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top