Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2002 11:56:41 AM EDT
If this is in the wrong section i'm sorry.

Where do you legally carry a rifle when you are in a Jeep, SUV, or Truck.

I hear alot of people say they carry them in the trunk, but none of these vehicles have a trunk. I have heard that you are supposed to put the gun in the bed of a truck.

-Thanks
                           DEERSNIPER[sniper]
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#1]
It'll vary from state to state, but you prolly want them UNLOADED, in a locked case, with no ammo in the case.

Link Posted: 9/3/2002 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#2]
in Texas you can have one loaded on the front seat if you want
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#3]
In Florida and quite a few other states for that matter, the answer would be anywhere you damn well pleased, except on the person (and some states even allow that).

Under Federal Law which pre-empts State and Local Law when you are traveling through (not in, but through) Anti-Gun states requires that if you have no trunk that it must locked in a case, seperate from ammunition. The case can be kept in your vehicle. Definitely do NOT put it in the bed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#4]
This is from [url]www.packing.org[/url] the MD section see for yourself here....
[url]http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/maryland[/url]

Car/Gun law summary
The only legal time and way you can transport a firearm in a vehicle without a permit is: While transporting a weapon to: A. Gun shop for repairs. From place of legal purchase. Formal or informal target shoot. Sport shooting event. Hunting. Trapping. Dog obedience training class or show. Organized military activity. NOTE: IN THE ABOVE EXCEPTIONS, WHILE TRAVELING TO OR FROM ANY SUCH PLACE OR EVENT REFERRED TO, A HANDGUN SHALL BE UNLOADED AND CARRIED IN AN ENCLOSED CASE, BOX, OR HOLSTER. ( I can not find anything in Maryland Law about transporting in the trunk or in an area unavailable to occupants in the vehicle. After reading their law I would carry it only in the trunk) (Also See Carry without a CCW)
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#5]
This is to people who have really strict gun laws in their state.

If you carry it in (what a judge might believe) the SAFEST WAY POSSIBLE, you can probably do no wrong.

If I take the Corvette to the range...There is no trunk, no glove box and everything is in easy access. If I keep it unloaded, in a LOCKED box as far from reach as possible (which is not possible in my case), I have taken every precaution available to effect a safe transport.

Same with a truck that has no topper or cap. You CANNOT keep a gun in the back of a pickup in plain sight. That situation would (possibly) allow a child to gain access to it. In that case, transport it behind the seat, unloaded and wrapped (or locked) in such a way that it is not easy to access.

Another way to look at the problem is...Put yourself in the position of the police officer that stops you. If the person you stopped is going to or from the range, how would YOU like to see the firearm carried? Also, if a PO ever asks you if you have a gun in the car, tell him the truth. If so, tell him what it is, where it is and how you are transporting in the safest way to go to the range.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#6]
In PA, for some odd reason, CCW does [b]not[/b] include rifles (due to the definition of "firearm" primarily), so I would need to carry it cased and unloaded. Accesibility isn't really an issue.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I was just talking to a local LEO about this the other day...they really prefer you to have to get out of the truck to access weapon but if you do put your rifle behind the seat then it's best to have it in a case (unloaded) and absolutely no ammo in the cab of truck. If you don't have it in a case then you'd better at least remove the mag and have the action open. HERE'S A TIP -call your local police department for THEIR idea of safely transpoting a firearm.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 3:02:57 PM EDT
[#8]
In New York I have never had a problem transporting- pistol in a case, lock run through the cylinder and barrel- All ammo either in a locked carrying case in the truck or if weather and circumstance permit, in the bed of the pickup.  I should mention that I have unrestricted CCW permit for 30 years but have never had to produce it for a LEO because I play by their rules if stopped for any reason.  Just my .02-  don't give them a reason to freak out.....[8P]
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I am "always" either on my way to shoot or coming home from shooting. Any weapon is unloaded (no mag) and in a case as is required by Illinois law.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Here in good ole Alabammy, I carry my AK in a rack within easy reach, a loaded mag in the glove compartment, and four more loaded mags in a pouch in the back floorboard.

All the time.

Balming
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here in good ole Alabammy, I carry my AK in a rack within easy reach, a loaded mag in the glove compartment, and four more loaded mags in a pouch in the back floorboard.

All the time.

Balming
View Quote

I'll second Balming.  If I'm on my way to/from shooting, I'll carry my AK and Bushy in my truck rack, empty mags in, just for scary effect.  BUT, there are full mags in the glovebox, maybe on the seat, yadda yadda.  It just don't matter 'round here, boys!  Here in 'Bammy, we still marry our sisters, dance with snakes in church, drink corn liquor, and we all have guns.  All of us.  The cops wave at me when they pass me and I'm carrying like that, BTW.  Please, please, PLEASE don't any of you people NOT from AL ever realize how great it is here, then move here and start Kalifornincating the place, allright?
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

All the time.

Balming
View Quote

I'll second Balming.  If I'm on my way to/from shooting, I'll carry my AK and Bushy in my truck rack, empty mags in, just for scary effect.  BUT, there are full mags in the glovebox, maybe on the seat, yadda yadda.  It just don't matter 'round here, boys!  Here in 'Bammy, we still marry our sisters, dance with snakes in church, drink corn liquor, and we all have guns.  All of us.  The cops wave at me when they pass me and I'm carrying like that, BTW.  Please, please, PLEASE don't any of you people NOT from AL ever realize how great it is here, then move here and start Kalifornincating the place, allright?
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In PA, for some odd reason, CCW does [b]not[/b] include rifles (due to the definition of "firearm" primarily), so I would need to carry it cased and unloaded. Accesibility isn't really an issue.
View Quote

Did they change the laws?

When I lived there in the early eighties, my 30-30 was in the rack right in the back window of my pick up. I had a CCW, but even before I got it that is where it was.

Link Posted: 9/3/2002 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#14]
DevilsAdvocate said,

Also, if a PO ever asks you if you have a gun in the car, tell him the truth. If so, tell him what it is, where it is and how you are transporting in the safest way to go to the range.
View Quote

I disagree. I would say, "Your question is a request to verbally search my vehicle. I'm sorry, but I give you no permission to search mt vehicle verbally or physically." Then let the requester go from there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 5:07:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am "always" either on my way to shoot or coming home from shooting. Any weapon is unloaded (no mag) and in a case as is required by Illinois law.  
View Quote

Illinois law doesn't say that you have to be coming to or from a shooting range, nor does it state that the ammo can't be carried in the same case as the weapon, only that it has to be cased and unloaded. So you can carry an unloaded AR with you in the vehicle at all times with as many mags as you like as long as it's not loaded.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Only downside to Alabama is that stupid No  Handguns in a vehicle w/o a CCW Rule. Longguns are perfectly fine though.

But, they do allow open carry which is nice. Carried my .45 into a Wal-Mart in Birmingham the other day. I was scared that somebody would freak and scream "Man with a Gun".

But, noone did...Walked into the Hotel with a SAR-1, Shotgun, and a .45 on my hip...and the only question I got was if I was going hunting.

When I was living in South Florida, I would take a .22 or a shotgun to my truck and kids would start screaming "Mama look he's got a gun..." Someone even threatened to call the police and tell them I had a gun once. I told him "Go ahead, they are perfectly legal"...But, he decided not to make the call after all.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Only downside to Alabama is that stupid No  Handguns in a vehicle w/o a CCW Rule. Longguns are perfectly fine though.

But, they do allow open carry which is nice. Carried my .45 into a Wal-Mart in Birmingham the other day. I was scared that somebody would freak and scream "Man with a Gun".

But, noone did...Walked into the Hotel with a SAR-1, Shotgun, and a .45 on my hip...and the only question I got was if I was going hunting.
View Quote

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE listen:  open carry *IS NOT* legal here in AL, I'm not sure where you got that idea.  That nobody cared I can see, but it *IS NOT* legal to do!!!  Which Wal Mart were you in?  I live in B'ham.  Once again: OPEN CARRY IS NOT LEGAL IN AL!!!  Not meaning to scold you, you obviously have been given bad information, I don't want you to get into trouble next time you visit!

Link Posted: 9/3/2002 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the info, guys. Hopefully when I grow up and graduate from college I'll be able to move away from the Peoples' Republik of Maryland to someplace like Alabama.

-DEERSNIPER
[sniper]
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#19]
out-a-ammo asked:

When I lived there in the early eighties, my 30-30 was in the rack right in the back window of my pick up. I had a CCW, but even before I got it that is where it was.
View Quote

Open carry is legal in the state, and yes, they changed the CCW law with Act 17 in 1995.

Link Posted: 9/3/2002 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
DevilsAdvocate said,

Also, if a PO ever asks you if you have a gun in the car, tell him the truth. If so, tell him what it is, where it is and how you are transporting in the safest way to go to the range.
View Quote

I disagree. I would say, "Your question is a request to verbally search my vehicle. I'm sorry, but I give you no permission to search mt vehicle verbally or physically." Then let the requester go from there.
View Quote

I stand corrected...CORRECTLY corrected.

I should have added, that if they have PC to search, that would be the answer.

Yes, do not give them an inch if you are in the right.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE listen:  open carry *IS NOT* legal here in AL, I'm not sure where you got that idea.  That nobody cared I can see, but it *IS NOT* legal to do!!!  Which Wal Mart were you in?  I live in B'ham.  Once again: OPEN CARRY IS NOT LEGAL IN AL!!!  Not meaning to scold you, you obviously have been given bad information, I don't want you to get into trouble next time you visit!

View Quote

Actually, it looks like open carry is legal in Alabama, but if you want to drive anywhere with it you need a permit.
Check out [url]http://www.ago.state.al.us/oldopinions/8400205.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#22]
well here in Texas (a free state) we can carry rifles and shotguns anyware in the vehical we want.  Loaded or unloaded.   pistols have to be concealed carry, in transport 2 or more counties, or going to the gun range.  thats all
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I can transport, loaded, on the seat, in the back window, on the floor...wherever I want. I also carry my Glock in my pocket, loaded and two loaded mags in the other. If it's concealed I gotta have a ccw permit, otherwise, it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 4:36:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Illinois law doesn't say that you have to be coming to or from a shooting range, nor does it state that the ammo can't be carried in the same case as the weapon, only that it has to be cased and unloaded. So you can carry an unloaded AR with you in the vehicle at all times with as many mags as you like as long as it's not loaded.
View Quote

Hey Kroagguy

If I happened to get stopped by the police and they ask me why I have 3 rifle cases and a pile of ammo in my truck, I think I'll go with my story. I keep a copy of the ISP “Transport” brochure in my vehicle just in case.

I didn't say anything about mags and ammo except that you can't have a loaded mag in the weapon. An AR without loaded mags available is less useful than a ball bat.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If I happened to get stopped by the police and they ask me why I have 3 rifle cases and a pile of ammo in my truck, I think I'll go with my story. I keep a copy of the ISP “Transport” brochure in my vehicle just in case.
View Quote

You shouldn't have [b]any[/b] story to tell them. You don't have to tell them where you are going or where you came from, so that shouldn't come up. They can ask, but as long as you are lawfully transporting the weapon(s) they have no case.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You shouldn't have [b]any[/b] story to tell them. You don't have to tell them where you are going or where you came from, so that shouldn't come up. They can ask, but as long as you are lawfully transporting the weapon(s) they have no case.
View Quote

That is all true. I totally agree with your position.

But when you say they have no case, does that mean they have to let me out of jail in the morning after someone in authority explains the law to them?

No, I’m not really concerned about it, I just think saying I’m going shooting sounds better than “None of your Forking business!” [:)]

Link Posted: 9/4/2002 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#27]
What does Nevada law say about guns in cars? Hmm... Lesseee. Oh. NOTHING [:D]
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
out-a-ammo asked:

View Quote

Open carry is legal in the state, and yes, they changed the CCW law with Act 17 in 1995.

View Quote

Open carry is legal here?

Is that with a permit?

<---new to the game.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top