Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/11/2013 9:13:32 AM EDT
I received an invitation to join in a conference call with a VP staffer to share my views on reducing "gun violence." Email I received is below:
=============================================

Your White House Conference Call Dial-In Information

Thank you for RSVP’ing to the conference call with Bruce Reed, Chief of Staff to the Vice President, about reducing gun violence.

Here are your call-in details:

Conference Call Name: We the People Conference Call with Bruce Reed on Preventing Gun Violence
Who: Bruce Reed
When: Today, Friday, January 11, 2013
Start Time: 4:00 p.m. EST
Dial-In Number: (800) --------
When you dial in you will be asked to confirm the conference name: “We the People Conference Call with Bruce Reed on Preventing Gun Violence” before entering the call.

This call is off the record and not for press purposes. This invitation is non-transferrable. Note that this call will be recorded. A transcript and audio/video recordings may be publicly released.

Stay Connected

Stay connected to the White House by signing up for periodic email updates from President Obama and other senior administration officials.

Facebook  Twitter  YouTube  Flickr  Google+  

This email was sent to {redacted}
Unsubscribe | Privacy Policy
Please do not reply to this email. Contact the White House

The White House • 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW • Washington, DC 20500 • 202-456-1111

===============================================

So, what do you want me to say?

Constructive comments only, please. I know what we all want to tell these guys already ;)

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I hope you didnt just post all the info needed to connect.  You DID leave off some 9 digit PIN number need to complete the dial-in, right?

Be polite, have your facts ready.  FBI CJIS crime stats are your friend.

FBI homicide data for 2011

- Handguns were used to commit 6220 murders in 2011.  Only 323 murders occured where the murderer used a rifle of ANY type.

Murders committed with Blunt objects (clubs, hammers, etc.) in 2011:  496
Murders committed with Personal weapons (hands, fists, feet, etc.) in 2011:  728

In 99% (citation needed) of all mass murders, all recently committed mass murders were committed by either felons or folks who were mentally ill.  

Gun free zones are not the answer.  If it is, why are there armed guards in banks, or at private schools?
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#2]
If they ask, "why does anyone need an Ar15 or why does anyone need a 30 round magazine":

"Any rational human being, put in a life or death situation against an attacker, is going to want the best possible tool he/she can have."

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#3]
The 2nd allows the citizens to protect all of the other ammendments.  Without it, every other right is much more easily abolished.

Saying AR's are not protected under 2A, is like saying Facebook is not protected under 1A because it didn't exist when the constitution was drafted.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#4]
A pre-WW1 Lee-enfield rifle, with a 10-round magazine, no mag changes, and a bolt-action configuration, can be used to shoot a 'mad minute' putting 30 rounds on a twelve-inch target at 300 yards in 60 econds.

An average shooter with an AR15, one 30-round mag, and no reloading would have a challenging time matching that feat.

It's not about the gun.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I think you need to bring up the issue of the faulty prescription drugs that these mass murderers were on.  Such as SSRIs.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Record that call.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#9]
THIS.... That's all they did with the NRA rep

Quoted:

My guess is that you are not going to be participating - you're going to be listening to Bruce Reed tell you how evil and nasty guns are, and how hard Biden is working to get rid of all of them.

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't call any of the gun grabbing nazi bastards a gun grabbing nazi bastard.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Tell them the only thing that will possibly make a difference:  more gun control could hurt their political career.  That's all they're interested in, so speak accordingly.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:28:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A pre-WW1 Lee-enfield rifle, with a 10-round magazine, no mag changes, and a bolt-action configuration, can be used to shoot a 'mad minute' putting 30 rounds on a twelve-inch target at 300 yards in 60 econds.

An average shooter with an AR15, one 30-round mag, and no reloading would have a challenging time matching that feat.

It's not about the gun.

Thanks a lot buddy - now Biden is going to ban Smellys with an Executive Order.

Did I mention that with a $30 check to the ATF, you can get all the SMLEs you want shipped right to your door, with no paperwork?  
Or that you can buy one from someone through interstate commerce with absolutely no record of the sale required?  

Though, the more puzzling question is, "Why the hell don't I own one yet?"  
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Please remind them that we need changes to our mentla health laws;

1. the Aurora shooter was known to his university therapist that he wanted to kill people, but did nothing to warn the authorities.  She had contacted a group at the university about what to do with this guy, but when he dropped out of school she just droped the issue.  

2. The parents of the Arizona shooter knew he was crazy, but because he was an adult and because of our mental health laws he could not be committed.  When he bought a gun, his parents called the police.  the police told them that there was nothing they could do until he committed a crime.

3. The woman in NY who pushed someone in front of a train and killed them was also mentally ill.

4. The virginia tech shooter was also known to be violent and have mental problems but nothing was done with him either.

5.  They can have the bans that they are talking about, but nothing will happen until the take care of the real problem of people with mental problems being left to injure others.  Also, these people can't be placed on the NICS system until someone identifies them to the government.

Also, please remind them that this country is more than the upper east coast and California, and that we do not all think the same on many issues including guns.  I'm very tired of this arrogant attitude from Californian and uppper east coast elected officials.  They think that anyone who is educated thinks like they do and that the rest of the country is nothing but trailer parks and farms.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Stress the point that the 2A has nothing to do with hunting
and sporting it was intended to ensure that the citizenry would always be on
equal footing with the government as far as small arms is concerned.

There are endless quotes such as those that I posted below
that support this and I have yet to run across any quotes from the founding
generation to the contrary.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the
Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone
under independence … From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day,
events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and
happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . the very
atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve a
place of honor with all that is good. "

--George Washington

-

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be
disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in
America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the
people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops
that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States. A military force, at
the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive
to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy
will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which
appears to them unjust and oppressive.”

---Noah Webster

-

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it
feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom.
Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other
terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American...[T]he
unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state
governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the
people.”

---Tenche Coxe

-

"[W]hereas, to preserve liberty, it is essential that
the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike,
especially when young, how to use them; nor does it follow from this, that all
promiscuously must go into actual service on every occasion. The mind that aims
at a select militia, must be influenced by a truly anti-republican principle;
and when we see many men disposed to practice upon it, whenever they can
prevail, no wonder true republicans are for carefully guarding against it.”

---Richard Henry Lee

-

"[W]hen the resolution of enslaving America was formed
in Great Britain, the British Parliament was advised by an artful man, who was
governor of Pennsylvania, to disarm the people; that it was the best and most
effectual way to enslave them; but that they should not do it openly, but
weaken them, and let them sink gradually...I ask, who are the militia? They
consist of now of the whole people, except a few public officers. But I cannot
say who will be the militia of the future day. If that paper on the table gets
no alteration, the militia of the future day may not consist of all classes,
high and low, and rich and poor...”

---George Mason

-

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will
preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are
ruined”

---Patrick Henry

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Do it
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Exactly how many rounds does it take to defend your life from a lethal attack?
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#17]
1796 militia act. FBI crime stats, Chicago murder rate, lack of prosecution of existent gun laws (IIRC the BATFE prosecutes around 1% of violations of form 4473).
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#18]
They can make a start by calling it something else besides "gun violence."  Their label shows clearly where they want to go with this.  

If their agenda was serious and not just an attempt to disarm the People, they would name it something else, like "reduce violence"
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Tell him you can save tens of thousands of lives reducing the national speed limit to 40 miles per hour.

Rifles are used to kill about 400 people per year, prolly 300 of the people are criminals so that leaves 100 dead civilians from rifle fire per year. Compare this to 32,367 civilians who get slaughtered in car wrecks per year which averages to 88 dead people per day from car wrecks.

In a nutshell, rifles kill the same number of people in 1 year what cars kill every 36 hours.

On average 3,533 people drown every year, which means you are ten times more likely to drown than to die from one of the millions of "assault rifles".

The Liberal brain is incapable of rational thought, they are clue-less retards who really should be rounded up and shipped to live in North Korea where nobody can own weapons of any kind.

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Bruce Reed is not your friend (google-it).

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Record that call.

x infinity, and beyond. assuming the call doesn't go the way THEY want, and is never released...it could end up being good ammo for our side

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#22]
One can put out more projectiles of a larger caliber, in a shorter time, using 00 buckshot and a pump shotgun - than one can using a semi-automatic rifle with a 30 round magazine....do you intend to take our shotguns too?

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I hope you didnt just post all the info needed to connect.  You DID leave off some 9 digit PIN number need to complete the dial-in, right?

Be polite, have your facts ready.  FBI CJIS crime stats are your friend.

FBI homicide data for 2011

- Handguns were used to commit 6220 murders in 2011.  Only 323 murders occured where the murderer used a rifle of ANY type.

Murders committed with Blunt objects (clubs, hammers, etc.) in 2011:  496
Murders committed with Personal weapons (hands, fists, feet, etc.) in 2011:  728

In 99% (citation needed) of all mass murders, all recently committed mass murders were committed by either felons or folks who were mentally ill.  

Gun free zones are not the answer.  If it is, why are there armed guards in banks, or at private schools?

+1 on the above FBI Uniform Crime Report data.

If given the chance I would also bring up the fact that the Second Amendment is not outdated and only for muskets/primitive weapons, just as the 1st Amendment also applies to the internet even though our founding fathers could NEVER have predicted its development!

See Ben Shapiro Piers Morgan interview last night- Tyrannical Government  "History is replete with democracies who have gone tyrannical!"

If asked about why you need 30 round magazines...remind them that even trained law enforcement officers miss under stress in a deadly force situation.  And I want to give my wife the best possible chance to stop any deadly threat to our family under a stressful situation!  Remind them that Cho at Virginia Tech had mostly 10 round magazines during his shooting spree and that didn't stop him from having the highest body count during an active shooter event!

Remind them that the Columbine killers committed their murders during the last AWB...that legislation didn't NOTHING to stop them from committing their murders!

After our nation was attacked on 9-11, the wisdom of protecting plane cockpits was realized when airline pilots were allowed the option of arming themselves after being trained.  Why is the idea of protecting our children in a similar manner so outlandish to some politicians?  Either through armed school personnel or additional funding for school resource officers...which by the way, President Clinton pushed for during his presidency!

MENTAL HEALTH should be the biggest topic to address this problem, not firearms.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#24]
What you mean is, you've been invited to participate in Biden's sham "task force" which "is listening to all viewpoints" when in fact, they have already made up their mind, years ago in fact, that banning more and more guns is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree with DK....there's not gonna be much dialog or conversation...it's gonna be a lecture.

Just keep your cool and present facts if you get a chance to speak. Remind them they are basing legislation on feelings and emotions rather than facts. If they mention that the "majority of the people" support this, ask them where they get the numbers. Remind them we live in a Republic, not a Democracy, and the constitution is designed to protect us from majority rule.

Good luck!!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#26]
If it is okay for there to be armed guards to protect the POTUS daughters, why can't there be armed guards to protect all children?  If this is an issue of money, why not encourage CCW by staff at these schools and eliminate the retarded "gun free zones" at the same time.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Stress the point that the 2A has nothing to do with huntingand sporting it was intended to ensure that the citizenry would always be onequal footing with the government as far as small arms is concerned.

There are endless quotes such as those that I posted belowthat support this and I have yet to run across any quotes from the foundinggeneration to the contrary.

"Firearms stand next in importance to theConstitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystoneunder independence … From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day,events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security andhappiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . the veryatmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve aplace of honor with all that is good. "
--George Washington

-

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must bedisarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power inAmerica cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of thepeople are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troopsthat can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States. A military force, atthe command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceiveto be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousywill instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law whichappears to them unjust and oppressive.”

---Noah Webster

-

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is itfeared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom.Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every otherterrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American...[T]heunlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or stategovernments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of thepeople.”

---Tenche Coxe

-

"[W]hereas, to preserve liberty, it is essential thatthe whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike,especially when young, how to use them; nor does it follow from this, that allpromiscuously must go into actual service on every occasion. The mind that aimsat a select militia, must be influenced by a truly anti-republican principle;and when we see many men disposed to practice upon it, whenever they canprevail, no wonder true republicans are for carefully guarding against it.”

---Richard Henry Lee

-

"[W]hen the resolution of enslaving America was formedin Great Britain, the British Parliament was advised by an artful man, who wasgovernor of Pennsylvania, to disarm the people; that it was the best and mosteffectual way to enslave them; but that they should not do it openly, butweaken them, and let them sink gradually...I ask, who are the militia? Theyconsist of now of the whole people, except a few public officers. But I cannotsay who will be the militia of the future day. If that paper on the table getsno alteration, the militia of the future day may not consist of all classes,high and low, and rich and poor...”

---George Mason

-

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing willpreserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you areruined”

---Patrick Henry

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#28]
tagged for AAR
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Exactly how many rounds does it take to defend your life from a lethal attack?

EXCELLENT point!  Any magazine limitation would potentially cost the life of many law abiding citizens who use their firearm for self defense every day!  I don't want my wife to have to defend herself and our three kids in the middle of the night when I am working with a subjective number of bullets in her gun because some polititian thought that sounded good!  Under stress, I want her to have the best possible options to defend our family!
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Tell  them  that  ANYONE  who  tampers  w/ ANY  of  our  Constitutional  rights  will  be  considered  a  traitor  to  said  Constitution  and  will  be  dealt  with  accordingly .
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Tell them the falacy that is "gun free zones" is one huge reason why a killer can walk right into certain schools, malls and businesses and know that they will NOT be confronted by armed resistance!

We need to change that policy and begin to allow law abiding citizens with CCWs to carry EVERYWHERE!
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#32]
May I ask how and why you received this WH invitation???
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Apparently it was because of the "pissed off at Feinstein" petition I started:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1410463__FIREMISSION__Impeach_Feinstein_Petition_is_THERE_25_000____KEEP_HITTING_IT_TO_SEND_A_MESSAGE_.html

Great suggestions so far, keep them coming.
I do have doubt that this is anything more than a BS exercise, but maybe I will have an opportunity to get something across.
One can always hope...
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My guess is that you are not going to be participating - you're going to be listening to Bruce Reed tell you how evil and nasty guns are, and how hard Biden is working to get rid of all of them.

This, and any time you get the opportunity to say anything, they will talk over you.

The good news is that it made the radar that we HATE feinstein
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently it was because of the "pissed off at Feinstein" petition I started:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1410463__FIREMISSION__Impeach_Feinstein_Petition_is_THERE_25_000____KEEP_HITTING_IT_TO_SEND_A_MESSAGE_.html

Great suggestions so far, keep them coming.
I do have doubt that this is anything more than a BS exercise, but maybe I will have an opportunity to get something across.
One can always hope...

Good for you!  Good luck today.  Try and remain professional and respectful (even if they don't).  Fight the good fight!
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What you mean is, you've been invited to participate in Biden's sham "task force" which "is listening to all viewpoints" when in fact, they have already made up their mind, years ago in fact, that banning more and more guns is the only way to go.

pretty much how I'm seeing it.  In all honesty I'd probably just yell FBHO and hang up the phone
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Over an hour already and no "its a tarp" image.  I am disapoint.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Tell them the only thing that will possibly make a difference:  more gun control could hurt their political career.  That's all they're interested in, so speak accordingly.  

This is a great idea if was talking to congress. With the White House, probably not so much.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Make sure to let them know the volume of magazine see that have occurred, and other ways them running their suck has led to bare shelves from sales. Everyone buying this stuff votes, and will be mad if they can't buy any more.

Loudly quoting the founders isn't going to get you anywhere skip that angle.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Tell them that any further attempt to infringe on the 2nd Amendment rights of the Citizens of this country will ultimately result in a very short, but very bloody "correction" the likes of which they cannot even imagine.

Maybe that'll wake them the fuck up!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not about the gun.

EOs dont work that way
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:31:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Tell them fiver says to fuck off.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:39:40 AM EDT
[#44]
tell them that law abiding citizens bear no responsibility or duty to "pay" for a mad man. but the government policies of disarmament do. Tell them that any banning of anything is unenforceable.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not about the gun.

EOs dont work that way

again with this crowd in power the law and  "how its supposed to work DOES NOT MATTER. They will do it and worry about any backlash (if any later) and if the get smacked around then they know the limit, at least for now anyway.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#46]

1. Why does the White House task force emphasize "hunting"?  Hunting appears nowhere in the Consitution.  

2.  If the current regime uses EOs to accomplish what Congress will not do, are they prepared for the political and sociological repercussions of such a naked display of tyranny?

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Record that call.

Please.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#48]

NRA Membership Soars As The Gun Control Debate Rages On

The National Rifle Association has grown by more than 100,000 members since Vice President Joe Biden’s gun violence task force was announced. The gun control debate continues to dominate headlines as fears of Second Amendment infringement are voiced by gun rights groups.

The NRA now boasts at least 4.2 million paid members, according to the Salt Lake City Tribune. The gun control vs. gun rights debate may become the most polarizing issue of the decade. As previously reported by The Inquisitr, Vice President Joe Biden noted that President Obama can issue an executive order on gun control measures. That announcement furthered fueled the fears of the NRA that a semi-automatic weapons ban could possibly be enacted without Congressional approval.

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#50]
I for one, commend you sir.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top