Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2002 11:43:37 AM EDT
OK guys... I know some of you are techno-geeeks (or just techno-savvy) and have an opinion on this. [:)]

I'm considering getting a PDA/Palm/Pocket PC/Whatever.  What models should I check out, and which should I avoid?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#1]
This sounds like a Ford vs. Chevy post ;) You will probably get many opinions. I have a Casio E-125 and like it. Microsoft or Palm, that is the question.

I'm not an expert or geek. Good luck. Oh, and when you do decide, check ubid.com. Sometimes they have a bargain.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Since I do network support for a living I can tell you what PDA's we have the most trouble with.  Compaq Ipaq's are by far the worst. We spent the most time getting these to work and also have to go back many time to keep them working.

Palm's on the other hand are bullet proof. Set them up and they work. No problems.

I have one of the original Palm Pilot's and it still works.

My advice get a Palm or Handspring type PDA.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're a MENSA member, just use your noggin. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't need anything except organization, Palm's operating system is simple to use, and does not have a directory structure. Download and install their Palm Desktop, which works with the PDAs, but you do not have to have a PDA to use it as a calendar, organizer, etc. (It has the built-in basic PDA functions: reminders, calendar, to-do lists, addresses, memos, etc. It also has almost the same limitations on number of "categories" and length of input strings)
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure you get one that has a color screen and the ability to accept a sleeve for a GPS unit and 1GB of storage for various maps and images...
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I like my Handspring Visor Prism.  It has good colour, runs the bulletproof Palm OS, software is READILY available, and it does not suffer from the Windows/WinCE "bloatware" problem.

Also, the Handspring provides the large "Springboard" slot, and new expansions are coming online all the time.

If colour is not important to you, but easy wireless access IS, I suggest the Palm VII or i705.

If all you want is a pocket organiser and don't care about colour OR wireless access, get a Palm IIIx or Palm Vx.

I have run and have evaluated all of these.  I may even be induced to sell one or two of them for a nominal fee...

FFZ
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I too have a Visor Prism, to replace the Palm IIIe that became "missing".

color is nice, I have to have color from now on!

I was going to get one of the color sony's but they cost to much at the time.  Looking back, the Prism was a good decision.

there are probably more smaller and better colors out there now, as IIRC the Prism is no longer being made.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Since I do network support for a living I can tell you what PDA's we have the most trouble with.  Compaq Ipaq's are by far the worst. We spent the most time getting these to work and also have to go back many time to keep them working.

View Quote

I've had an iPaq for a couple of years now and have had absolutely no trouble.  Set up can be a little testy, but that's mostly because of its capabilities.  If you just want an organizer, I agree get a palm.  If you want something close to a notebook computer in a handheld size, get the iPaq.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Here it is hands down.

[url]http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/toshiba/e740/e740-1.htm[/url]

THISISME

Link Posted: 8/28/2002 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Palm IIIc, best bang for the buck:
color screen, black plastic case, 8MB memory, get one from ebay for about 70 to 120 bucks

[img]http://www.pdafn.com/vertical/imgs/features/iiic.jpg[/img]

Palm m515, for the sleek geek:
color screen, silver metal case, 16 MB memory, price somewhere between 300 to 400

[img]http://www.zdnet.co.uk/reviews/graphics/2002/03/palm-m515-image.jpg[/img]

Samsung Sprint Smartphone:
thin PDA with a color screen and a built-in phone. Price varies between 0 and 600 bucks.

Also, look into the HandEra 330 and the Handspring Treo series.
Sony Clié PEG-NR70V: The Ueber-Palm:
Does all the things the others do, only better :)
16 MB memory, 66 Mhz (= fastest Palm-powered toy in existence), built-in camera, fold-out keyboard, plays mp3 files, accepts memory sticks.

[img]http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/dal-15.03.02-002/aufmacher.jpg[/img]

If you can get a good deal on a Palm m505, run away, they all die after about 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#12]
iPaq all the way. It's like a mini pc, not limited like the palms. I had a few of them at work, none gave us any trouble at all. They were abused like any other piece of equipment that a user doesn't own themselves, still not a hiccup.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Palm's on the other hand are bullet proof. Set them up and they work. No problems.

I have one of the original Palm Pilot's and it still works.

My advice get a Palm or Handspring type PDA.
View Quote

This guy is talking out of his ass.  I have a Compaq 3765 and I love it!  Its FAR MORE capable than any Palm operating system, you can write anywhere on the screen and it turns your writing into text and does it accurately, and best of all, they are light years ahead of Palm OS in terms of speed, color screen clarity and size.  The Handspring Visors just purchased for my office are hated, with many of them being left in the box, while people are trying to get heads to roll since my Ipaq cost the same amount and is far superior.  

Go to the store and check them out, but make sure you end up with the compaq.  Its just a better, faster, sleeker machine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#14]
can you plug a phone line into these things and surf the internet?
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Samsung/Sprint Phone, the Kyocera 6035, the Treos with phone are Palm/cell phone combos; there is the Palm VII and it's descendant the m705i that use the Palm.net service to connect to the 'Net, and then there are modems that connect to the Palm III series/Handsprings, so you can connect your Palm to a landline and dial into your normal ISP.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I like my HP Jornada. I have a 430, brother has a 545. It really depends on what you want to do with them. I use my Jornada as a palm-top computer. I have a keyboard that goes with it, and put 64 extra megs of ram in it. I have a modem I use with it (56k). I take notes, keep track of schedules, work on spreadsheets, surf the net, check/write/send email, and play games when Im bored. The 545 has MS Office for CE. The Pocket/Palm PCs will do just about anything you want it to do (considering its proc speed (133-400Mhz) and memory size (16-64M + card slot(s))). The only downside is the cost, they are in the $400+ range for the latest newest ones. Check for add-ons (keyboard, modem, wireless network card, etc) Of course, HP and Compaq are the same company now, so look at the iPaqs as well.

I have only limited experience with the Palm PDAs. Last I looked at them was almost 3 years ago (and then I got my 430 - which I've been using since), so...

Jonathan
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 6:38:47 PM EDT
[#17]
[b]What's the best PDA?[/b]

[img]http://www.msu.edu/~luckie/gallery/newton2000.gif[/img]
Why, the Apple Newton, of course! [%|]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 5:03:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the info!  I had no idea how much these little devices were capable of.  Maybe I should've asked "...favorite Pocket PC" instead of "...best PDA".

[b]Thanks again![/b]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 5:16:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Make sure you get one that has a color screen and the ability to accept a sleeve for a GPS unit and 1GB of storage for various maps and images...
View Quote

I'd be very interested in a set-up similar to this.  Can anyone recommend one?  

Oh! By the way, I am a cheap bastard.  Please keep that in mind! [:D]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 5:17:28 AM EDT
[#20]
they make gps recievers and maps for PDA's?!

where?! who! how much! do they work on older ones? I have an old palmpilot pro I haven't turned on in years, but this might make me take it out of retirement...
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 5:53:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey Balzac72,

Think I'm talking out of my ass?

I support over 4000 user for a large city and the other 4 people besides myself who support the PDA's all hate the Ipaq's due to all the problems we have.  Now granted they can do more then a Palm but 90% of the user that have Ipaq's only use the basic features anyway so they would have a ton less problems if they just uesed a Palm.

I've seen it first hand day in and day out.
Palms are simple and bullet proof, Ipaq's are anything but bullet proof.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 6:02:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

But of course :)

[url]http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=palm+gps[/url]

I have an old palmpilot pro I haven't turned on in years, but this might make me take it out of retirement...
View Quote

Probably not enough memory to be used in connection with GPS and maps :(

Link Posted: 8/29/2002 8:05:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

For the iPaq, you plug a CF modem into the CF expansion module and surf away.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#24]
How many of you have Pocket PCs and use a GPS with them?
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hey Balzac72,

Think I'm talking out of my ass?

I support over 4000 user for a large city and the other 4 people besides myself who support the PDA's all hate the Ipaq's due to all the problems we have.  Now granted they can do more then a Palm but 90% of the user that have Ipaq's only use the basic features anyway so they would have a ton less problems if they just uesed a Palm.

I've seen it first hand day in and day out.
Palms are simple and bullet proof, Ipaq's are anything but bullet proof.
View Quote

Out of the twenty or so people i know with Ipaqs, only one has had a problem and that was me.  I forgot my password, so I couldn't sinc it.  Unless you are dealing in an inferior delivery (remind me not to buy from you) I'd say that you sir, are speaking the ancient language of rectum.  

I've had mine for 4-5 months and others (who incidentally recommended it to me) have older models with no problems.  As far as features that most people wouldn't use...well, again, you're talking outcha ass.  Instead of writing in a dinky little box, I can write anywhere on my screen.  Instead of looking at a horrible color screen like the Palms or Visors, I look at a screen I CAN watch a movie on.  I don't know if Palm machines have gotten better in the past couple months, but the ones I looked at made my dizzy when I looked at the screen for a couple minutes.  The clarity on mine is second to none.  I also paid $280 for it, find me a Palm that can match my system for that cost!

Oh yeah, I don't mean to sound like I'm attacking your opinions, but I am. [;)]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#27]
OK, I've narrowed it down to these two, unless someone has another model to recommend:

[list]
[*]Toshiba e740[/*]
[*]HP/Compaq iPaq H3950[/*]
[/list]

From what I read, the Toshiba has the advantage of a CF slot, while the iPaq seems to have more accessories.

Does anyone have experience with the CF GPS antennas and software?  If so, which have you seen the best performance with?  

Also, what about PCMCIA adaptors (for using PC cards with the PDA)?  Have you seen much use for them?

[b]Thanks![/b]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

where?! who! how much! do they work on older ones? I have an old palmpilot pro I haven't turned on in years, but this might make me take it out of retirement...
View Quote

Yeah, its priced about the same (depending on the configuration) and packed with more capabilities than your average standalone GPS unit...
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd be very interested in a set-up similar to this.  Can anyone recommend one?  

Oh! By the way, I am a cheap bastard.  Please keep that in mind! [:D]
View Quote

You can buy an inexpensive PDA (even a Palm) that supports an inexpensive GPS device. Before you buy, make sure there is one available...

I was keeping my eye on the high-end color iPAQ, with the co-pilot GPS Sleeve, color map software, 1GB of storage for many many maps, etc. With everything I wanted, it was about $1700 last year.

Here's the breakdown:
1. top-of-the-line iPAQ with Blue Tooth (why not?)
2. 128MB Secure Digital RAM
3. Co-Pilot GPS sleeve with color map software for the iPAQ, also comes with mounting hardware for your car
4. 1GB Type II compact flash

This setup was WAY cheaper than buying a GPS unit that permanently mounts in my Jeep... and has way more capabilities.

Then later add infra-red Remote Control software (the Sony Clie comes with a Sony version of it) and add a wireless modem.

Sine its based on Windows (Pocket PC or CE), I can easily develop apps for it, instead of learning the Palm development environment.

Its way more flexible.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

But of course :)

[url]http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=palm+gps[/url]

I have an old palmpilot pro I haven't turned on in years, but this might make me take it out of retirement...
View Quote

Probably not enough memory to be used in connection with GPS and maps :(

View Quote

I use an old Palm VII (I don't use the wireless part) and it only has 2MB-- can't use it for much of anything except what it was originally designed for: a PDA.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#31]
For the iPaq, here is the GPS CoPilot Sleeve I was talking about:

Search for: CoPilot
[url]www.mobileplanet.com[/url]

or try this link:
[url]http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=2310&pf%5Fid=MP730717&listing=1[/url]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#32]
You can use your PDA as a voice recorder, camera, video camera, etc. Depends on the software and hardware you get. They do just about anything your PC can do. The GPS CoPilot sleeve is slick-- it is low-profile and looks like a high tech Walkie-Talkie or Talk-About. You might also look into getting a Windows-based PDA cell-phone, and use the PocketPC Phone edition-- looks SWEET! [url]www.pocketpc.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#33]
An ipaq or pocketPC?  Why limit yourself.  You can get much more power if you carry your Pentium Desktop and just use a 1" monitor.

If you need all the function that a Windows CE PDA system [b]TRIES[/b] to give you, you're better of with a laptop.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 12:54:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd much rather have a laptop as well, unfortunately a laptop won't fit in my shirt pocket. The iPaq will.. :)
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Those Sony PictureBooks are nice, the small rectangular ones, but still a little large.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#36]
To choose between palm and pocket pc really isn't very difficult because they aren't really true competitors.  This is not a ford vs. chevy question where two similar products are being offered for a similar price.  Instead, this is simply a matter of choosing what features you want.  Lots of features and lots of money = pocketpc.  Few features but very cheap = palm.  Of course there is some moderate overlap, but not much.  Personally, I find palm so limited in functionality that I am not interested in it.  It is little more than an organizer.  I don't need one, so I don't care about palm.  A pocket pc on the other hand is actually more like a notebook computer.  Just decide what you want and go from there.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

The Samsung/Sprint Phone, the Kyocera 6035, the Treos with phone are Palm/cell phone combos; there is the Palm VII and it's descendant the m705i that use the Palm.net service to connect to the 'Net, and then there are modems that connect to the Palm III series/Handsprings, so you can connect your Palm to a landline and dial into your normal ISP.
View Quote

And, of course, nearly every pocket pc ever made can do this just as easily.  I don't know if you people are intentionally bias or if it is just accidental omission....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top