Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2002 2:19:35 PM EDT
I just got an entrenching tool - of the USGI tri-fold variety, but I think it's broken - but want to make sure before I send an angry email to the place that shipped it to me as "excellent reconditioned" quality.

When I was in the military, we had the folding ones with wooden handles, that you would lock in place by turning the knob at the end.

Now, maybe I'm missing something, but I think this one is broken.  It folds and unfolds fine, but I cannot seem to lock it into position.  Am I correct that the knob at the end should turn separately from the tube it is attached to - thus getting longer and locking the tool?  On this one, the whole thing turns, but I cannot turn the knob separately from the tube.

Am I missing something really obvious?

Or is this description so confusing and obscure that nobody knows what the hell I'm talking about???
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#1]
You understand it.  Knob should turn independent from tube.  All the ones I had were notorious for getting stuck though.  My guess is reconditioned means repainted and is probably painted stuck.  Try holding the tube and really torque on the knob.  If it breaks it was defective anyway.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks - I've already poured oil in it and really torqued it - but I'll give it a day or two and try again.

Good to know I'm not a complete idiot!  [:D]  (Other than buying it mail-order)
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#3]
You're not a moron. It is probably stuck. Best bet is to send it back, and get the old wood handled variety- Better built, easier to dig with, has the pick part, to break up hard dirt, clay, etc., and makes a much better last resort weapon if the event ever arises.  We were issued the trifold type when I was in, we were constantly DXing them, cause they would break.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top