Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2012 4:45:35 PM EDT
FTF is legal in PA, which is my home state

If I was on OH or WV could I buy a rifle FTF legally?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#1]
No, you would need to use a local FFL to do the transaction.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No, you would need to use a local FFL to do the transaction.

This was always my understanding as well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Any cross state transaction is illegal unless it goes through a FFL in your own state.  No ifs or buts.

And in PA, I believe it's only for long guns that face to face is ok, handguns have to be through FFL.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

The one loophole to all this is from estates of deceased, executor or whatever the right term is, may legally acquire the gun and transport it to their home state without a FFL.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Any cross state transaction is illegal unless it goes through a FFL in your own state.  No ifs or buts.

And in PA, I believe it's only for long guns that face to face is ok, handguns have to be through FFL.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

The one loophole to all this is from estates of deceased, executor or whatever the right term is, may legally acquire the gun and transport it to their home state without a FFL.

True, but only for private sales. Dealer sales of long guns (per FOPA '86) to an individual are allowed, as long as the transaction is legal in both states. The "contiguous state" language was in effect starting with GCA '68, rescinded in '86
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That's not correct.  You can buy a long arm IN any state (as long as the sale is legal in both the state you are from and the stated you are in) but the sale has to be through an FFL.

Some states follow the old pre-FOPA '86 GCA '68 law that only allowed long arm sales through an FFL in contiguous (adjoining ) states.

See the BATFE FAQ page.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a Gentleman offer me full price recently for an AR I had listed here locally for sale....... He told me he would take it and would be driving over from a neighboring state....he got all in a twist when I explained the law and I wasn't going to commit a felony...I offered to meet him at my FFL and cover the cost of NICS etc....."there is no paperwork involved"........ "I'm giving you full price".....he seemed perplexed I wouldn't do it....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top