Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2012 1:01:38 PM EDT
Cable went out last night, some how managed to get a cable guy out today in the thin bit of time between waking up and going to work. Cable repair tech says the line at the tap up on the pole is damaged, and that it has been caused by voltage back feeding on the line. He couldn't find the source and there fore didn't fix my cable, because he said it would just happen again and it would be a hazard.

That being said what are possible sources of Voltage back feeding on my cable line arfcom. There are only two things hooked up to the cable one tv and a modem, tv is an old crt style, and was checked and said it wasn't the problem. I am only going to be in this house for a few weeks so there is no way in hell I am paying for an electrician to come out which was the cable guys suggestion.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Bumping for the after work crew
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Cancel service now.  When asked why tell them that their employees have shown no desire to fix issues with the cable outside the DEMARC of your house.  Read a book.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you ask him iof their equipment at your house was properly grounded??

I've had AT&T techs come out - with 14 years on the job- and couldn't hook up a damn DSL connection over the span of 4 hours.

Demand a second opinion- at their expense.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Well tomorrow the same tech plus the one above him are supposed to come by before I go to work. Hopefully they will get it fixed
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well tomorrow the same tech plus the one above him are supposed to come by before I go to work. Hopefully they will get it fixed

You using standard Cable provider (time warner, comcast, ECT) or IPTV based service (ATT, Verizon, ect)?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Cancel service now.  When asked why tell them that their employees have shown no desire to fix issues with the cable outside the DEMARC of your house.  Read a book.

This

It's their problem to fix

Sounds like they are shoveling bullshit
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#8]
18 years in the industry this happens very often. The most common cause is a bad neutral power line to the home.  See what they have to say. Cable is an excellent ground for errant power in a home to flow to. Quite often we discover power problems in homes just before they become serious fire risks. It sounds like the tech did the right thing in escalating the call.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:23:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
18 years in the industry this happens very often. The most common cause is a bad neutral power line to the home.  See what they have to say. Cable is an excellent ground for errant power in a home to flow to. Quite often we discover power problems in homes just before they become serious fire risks. It sounds like the tech did the right thing in escalating the call.

Tech didn't escalate tech just refused to fix it. I had to call back and bitch to get someone back out.

Power blew out last wensday so this is a possibility, I am more passed off at the fact that the tech just said you have a problem call someone else instead of finding the problem. If it is an electrical problem fine will deal with it, but he couldn't tell me where the voltage was entering the cable line.

I have suddenlink unfortunately.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:36:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Well that is not good.

It can actually be dangerous for him to work on it. He should have a clamp amp vom to check voltage an current draw. My guess is he was not properly trained in the accurate and effective diagnosis of the problem!

Ask a lot of questions.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:06:39 AM EDT
[#11]
The feed coming into my home has a ground lug on it connecting to the ground the phone Co. installed..maybe look at that...??
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#12]
If it was something as simple as one of your televisions backfeeding voltage than he should have fouind it.  If it is something else like voltage on your ground you need to call an electrician.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well that is not good.

It can actually be dangerous for him to work on it. He should have a clamp amp vom to check voltage an current draw. My guess is he was not properly trained in the accurate and effective diagnosis of the problem!

Ask a lot of questions.

Good luck!

The tool he had to check it yesterday was bright orange and not clamping he just pressed the tip to the connections on the groundin block and wwhen he didn't get a reading assumed he grounded it out. The ground wire connected to the grounding block connects to the metal pipe extending up from the power meter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top