Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2002 8:07:04 AM EDT
I found these while trying to solve one of LT's Cryptos:

The world's longest-named lake has 45 letters (Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg).

In the U.S. there are 18 doctors called Dr. Doctor, and one called Dr. Surgeon. There is also a dermatologist named Dr. Rash, a psychiatrist called Dr. Couch and an anesthesiologist named Dr. Gass.

"Rhythm" is the longest English word without a vowel.

The longest word in the English language is 'pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis' which describes a lung disease caused by breathing in particles of volcanic matter or a similar fine dust.

"Jack" is the most common name in nursery rhymes.

In the English language there are only three words that have a letter that repeats six times. Degenerescence (six e's), Indivisibility (six i's), and nonannouncement (six n's).

The only three words in the English language to have 2 consecutive u's is vacuum, residuum, and continuum.

The very first dictionary "The American" took Noah Webster 20 years to put together.

The word "alphabet" is derived from the first two letters in the Greek alphabet: "alpha" and "beta".

The only word in the English language that has 4 sets of double letters in a row is balloonneer.

A moment is defined as zero seconds long.

The only words with all the vowels listed in order are facetiously and abstemiously.

The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is "uncopyrightable".

The only word with all the vowels in reverse order is subcontinental.

There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with: orange, purple, and month!

Q is the only letter in the alphabet that does not appear in the name of any of the United States!

Ernest Vincent Wright wrote a novel, "Gadsby", which contains over 50,000 words -- none of them with the letter E! Of all the words in the English language, the word set has the most definitions!

The most used letter in the English alphabet is 'E', and 'Q' is the least used!

Floccinaucinihilipilification, the declaration of an item being useless, is the longest non-medical term in the English language.

Goddessship is the only word in the English language with a triple letter.

The sentence "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." uses every letter of the alphabet!

The above also applies to the sentence "Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs" and uses three less letters to do so!
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#1]

Another trivia question:

What is the longest one-syllable word in the English language?

Link Posted: 8/18/2002 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Another trivia question:

What is the longest one-syllable word in the English language?

View Quote

The one most commonly cited is screeched (nine letters). However, one ought to mention also scratched, scrounged, scrunched, stretched, and the plural nouns straights and strengths (all with nine letters).

The complete Oxford English Dictionary also indicates the existence of scraughed, scrinched, scritched, scrooched, sprainged, spreathed, throughed, and thrutched.

The OED also cites a single instance of the ten-letter word scraunched, from the 1620 English translation of Don Quixote.

EDITED TO ADD:

I am truly a dumbass, and have to relinquish solving powers to "mr. GOOGLE" [:D]

Link Posted: 8/18/2002 8:16:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Yep.

What's the only word in the English language that has no vowels and no "y" either.

Link Posted: 8/18/2002 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting stuff.

But, doesn't maple syrple rhyme with purple?[;)]

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with: orange, purple, and month!
View Quote

Only for those with little imagination-

(must be spoke with cockney accent):
I woke up early to steal an orange
My plot was foiled by the squeeky door hinge

Also, who can forget Roger Miller:
Rose are red, violets are purple
sugar is sweet, and so is maple surple

Any suggestions for month? All of mine require a speech impediment!

Adam
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep.

What's the only word in the English language that has no vowels and no "y" either.

View Quote

crwth
Pronunciation: 'krüth
Function: noun
Etymology: Welsh
Date: circa 1837

again, thanks Mr. Google [:D]
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

View Quote

crwth

View Quote

Okay, make that TWO!

Crwth is not the word I was thinking of. There is another.
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Co-conspirator is not a word. Just tell that to the talking heads.
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

View Quote

crwth

View Quote

Okay, make that TWO!

Crwth is not the word I was thinking of. There is another.
View Quote

were you perhaps thinking of [b]nth[/b]?

Pronunciation: 'en(t)th
Function: adjective
Etymology: n (indefinite number) + -th
Date: 1852
1 : numbered with an unspecified or indefinitely large ordinal number
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 8:57:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Datsit!!

Link Posted: 8/18/2002 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#12]

There is a real person named "Dot Com" (or maybe Comm) - and, unfortunately, she's a college professor !!
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#13]
What I'd like to know, though not english specific, is who determined the alphabetic order, and why?
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Many moons ago the head of our Hematology Dept. was Dr. Leach.
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Disestablishmentarianism.

One word.

Kinda makes ya think, huh?
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#16]
The word monosyllabic has five syllables.
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#18]
The longest word in the English language is 'pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

Man that is scary! That was an English homework assignment of mine way back in the 4th grade. Many...many...moons ago.

Link Posted: 8/18/2002 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I've always liked the name of that chemical in shampoo - methylchloroisothiazolinone
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The longest word in the English language is 'pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.
View Quote

Actually the plural form of that word is a bit longer:

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis[b]es[/b]

Link Posted: 8/18/2002 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Disestablishmentarianism.

One word.

Kinda makes ya think, huh?
View Quote

How's about ANTIdisestablishmentarianism?

"I'll spell it when YOU give me ninety-nine thousand dollars!"--Ralph Kramden
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've always liked the name of that chemical in shampoo - methylchloroisothiazolinone
View Quote

no way!
me too...
i used to say it over and over in the shower when i was in elem. school
(yah i got beat up! -so what!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top