Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2002 9:35:31 PM EDT
We're supposed to be seeing these in greater #'s here the last few days and I finally saw one.
I was standing on the back porch with my Daughter looking up at the Big Dipper.
Suddenly, a shooting star flew by super fast from the NE to the SW directly under the bottom star of the Dipper.
It was visible for a fraction of a second, that's all.
Cool! [:D]
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I was outside once and thought I saw shooting star. It was just Martin Lawrence with a gun.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#2]
... Leaving class about 45 minutes ago we saw a [size=6][b]HUGE[/size=6][/b] meteorite enter the atmosphere to the north of us.
Burned almost all the way to the horizon. Illuminated a large area around itself.
Many of my classmates stopped/slowed on the street with our tounges hanging out.
One gal yelled over to me in shear horror "What-the-fuck-was-that?"
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow!!! maybe tommorrow you'll see a airplane or maybe even a bird!!!! [;)]
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#4]
My daughter and I sat outside and watched the sky, for about an hour, night before last. The Leonid meteor shower is supposed to be something special, but has proved to be something of a disappointment. We didn't see any more (maybe less) than we would expect to see any night.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Me too. My brother saw one so bright that it looked like an aerial flare.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 11:48:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw 17 last night with 3 being VERY much larger than the norm and 14 the night before. Gotta get where it's really dark.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 12:18:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 1:35:09 AM EDT
[#9]
See shooting stars all the time.  I guess that's one of the advantages of living in a semi-rural area.

Last week one went over my house that was far enough into th atmosphere to actually make a noise.  It sounded like a really loud jet for a second until it completely burned up.  Saw another one the same night that was really big, broke into three pieces before burning up.

They're pretty cool to behold, especially since TEOTWAKI will most likely be from one of them.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 4:31:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They're pretty cool to behold, especially since TEOTWAKI will most likely be from one of them.
View Quote

I've never seen that acronym, but my REM experience suggests "TEOTWAWKI," yes?

DrMark
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 4:45:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh wow, I forgot a W.  Jesus, the world is going end and all civilization will be for nought simply because I forgot a W in an acronym that everybody already knows.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 4:58:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My daughter and I sat outside and watched the sky, for about an hour, night before last. The Leonid meteor shower is supposed to be something special, but has proved to be something of a disappointment. We didn't see any more (maybe less) than we would expect to see any night.
View Quote

If you were watching last night you were watching the Perseids not he Leonid's.  The Leonid shower was back this winter.

I've been watching the Perseids all month and have to agree that they were not much.  I think they actually peaked while still to light to see them.

The Leonids were more impressive, but my wife and I gave up on them after a couple of hours.  The temperature was in the teens the night they peaked, and after a while sitting in lounge chairs got nippy even snuggled up in sleeping bags.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 5:50:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

If you were watching last night you were watching the Perseids not he Leonid's.  The Leonid shower was back this winter.

I've been watching the Perseids all month and have to agree that they were not much.  I think they actually peaked while still to light to see them.

The Leonids were more impressive, but my wife and I gave up on them after a couple of hours.  The temperature was in the teens the night they peaked, and after a while sitting in lounge chairs got nippy even snuggled up in sleeping bags.
View Quote

Oops. I stand corrected. It was past my bedtime when I posted that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 8:52:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I saw one in a gun shop once, turned out it was just a 1911 mag. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#15]
 The Leonids were outstanding last November.  I was staying at the coast and we set our alarm for 2am and wound up walking on the beach and seeing shooting stars at the rate of about 15-20+ per minute.  The Perseids (from the suburbs) sucked this year.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
One gal yelled over to me in shear horror "What-the-fuck-was-that?"
View Quote

Its kinda funny but that was the same thing the mayor of Hiroshima and Nagasaki yelled back in 1945
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife, my three boys and I got up to watch the Leonids last year.  It was the most amazing meteor shower/storm I have ever seen.  My oldest son (age 9) lost count after about 120.  Some of them were so bright, they left smoke trails in the sky that would gradually drift away.  Some would burst into pieces rather than just burn out.  I think that was a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top