Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2012 4:46:58 PM EDT
I want to get the galaxy s3 and best buy has a good price. I've only bought phones from the AT&T stores while renewing my contract. So how does it work when buying a phone from a non wireless provider? Would I just get the phone then bring it to an AT&T store?
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup, same deal as walking into the AT&T store. They are private contractors, just like the AT&T store, with all the stuff needed to make the magic happen.

I'm looking at the same phone myself.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#2]
They will activate it in Best Buy. Just make sure you REALLY want that carrier. Having service cancelled within the trial peroid and returning the phone through Best Buy is a nightmare.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag..gonna price shop between Walmart and Verizon for my iPhone in May.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I got my last phone through Amazon Wireless. Cheaper than anybody else and I had my new phone in 2 days.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I always buy mine at best buy or radio shack. They handle the rebates and give you the phone at the price after rebate. No waiting 3 months for the carrier to mail you a check.

Their computers are connected into the carriers. They'll set everything up for you right there in the store. Same as if you were at AT&T.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool so If it were ordered online. How would setting the carrier up work out(I'm already with at&t btw)? I also just realized they are sold out online damnit!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cool so If it were ordered online. How would setting the carrier up work out(I'm already with at&t btw)? I also just realized they are sold out online damnit!

If you order it online they will send it unactivated and you will call them to move the service to the new SIM card.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you order it online they will send it unactivated and you will call them to move the service to the new SIM card.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought the S3 from them with a Verizon contract. I also bought the geek squad warranty.

After one week of owning the phone I walked into the ocean with it. I've always had insurance on my phones and this was the first time I've ever had to use it.

It was a clusterfuck working with them to get a refurbished replacement. They took it, sent it off, said it would take a couple days. They sent me an email stating that my Samsung Epic (I have the S3) was in processing and awaiting shipping. I called, took over an hour to get that straightened out. They told me it could be a week or maybe even a month due to the fact that the device was so new. They said I could call and check. I tried twice but got nowhere after spending an hour on the phone. Bottom line, they sent me a phone in about a week, but they didn't have any batteries. They said that they would send me a check if I was able to find a battery and send them a receipt. I found a battery within 5 minutes and had it in my hands 15 minutes later.

They sent me a customer survey asking about my experience. I told them. I also told them that I didn't believe they have any idea what they are doing. I said this is a test, stop shipment of the battery you are supposed to send and contact me about sending you the receipt.

The next day I received an email stating that my Epic was ready for shipping.

Three weeks later I received a battery for some other phone, I assume the Epic.

Never again am I purchasing a warranty through Best Buy.

The phone is great, though!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bought the S3 from them with a Verizon contract. I also bought the geek squad warranty.

After one week of owning the phone I walked into the ocean with it. I've always had insurance on my phones and this was the first time I've ever had to use it.

It was a clusterfuck working with them to get a refurbished replacement. They took it, sent it off, said it would take a couple days. They sent me an email stating that my Samsung Epic (I have the S3) was in processing and awaiting shipping. I called, took over an hour to get that straightened out. They told me it could be a week or maybe even a month due to the fact that the device was so new. They said I could call and check. I tried twice but got nowhere after spending an hour on the phone. Bottom line, they sent me a phone in about a week, but they didn't have any batteries. They said that they would send me a check if I was able to find a battery and send them a receipt. I found a battery within 5 minutes and had it in my hands 15 minutes later.

They sent me a customer survey asking about my experience. I told them. I also told them that I didn't believe they have any idea what they are doing. I said this is a test, stop shipment of the battery you are supposed to send and contact me about sending you the receipt.

Well that shit sounds like a nightmare.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The best buy exchange policy is to ship you a refurb phone, hence why it took so long to get you a replacement, since you had a brand new device, and none had been refurbished yet. The warranty also doesn't cover full submersion (like swimming with your phone), so the geek squad person did you a favor in the first place to get you a new phone.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top