Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2012 10:26:49 AM EDT
My 2 years will be up soon.  I'll be a free man!

Now the question is where to go next.  I currently have:

-3 smartphones wth data plans
-2 dumb phones (calls & texts, only)

Would like to get to 3 smartphones and 3 dumb phones.  The 3 smartphones would need good data plans.

Currently with AT&T, grandfathered with a 25% discount on my phone, and true unlimited data.  Paying just over $200/mo for the 3 smarts and 2 dumbs.

Who else should I be looking at before I re-up?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried using Billshrink.com? You can put in your current phones, plans, prices, etc., and what you want in a new plan, and it will run comparisons with all the major vendors.

ETA: I doubt you can beat $200 for that many phones and data. Just a quick glance at Verizon shows they charge $40/mo per smart phone, and $30/mo for basic phones. 4 GB of shared data would be another $70/mo. That's a quick $280/mo right there.

AT&T is $35/mo for each smart phone, if you buy 6GB of shared data for $90/mo, plus $30/mo for basic phones. $285/mo. And since AT&T are a bunch of bastards, they also charge you $20/mo for each device if you want to enable 4G hotspot functionality.

Sprint will let you get 5 lines with unlimited data on their network, unlimited text, and 1500 shared minutes (free mobile to mobile) for $220. Their website won't let you add a 6th line.

Good luck. Maybe look at prepaid lines as well.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Have you tried using Billshrink.com? You can put in your current phones, plans, prices, etc., and what you want in a new plan, and it will run comparisons with all the major vendors.  

ETA: I doubt you can beat $200 for that many phones and data. Just a quick glance at Verizon shows they charge $40/mo per smart phone, and $30/mo for basic phones. 4 GB of shared data would be another $70/mo. That's a quick $280/mo right there.

AT&T is $35/mo for each smart phone, if you buy 6GB of shared data for $90/mo, plus $30/mo for basic phones. $285/mo. And since AT&T are a bunch of bastards, they also charge you $20/mo for each device if you want to enable 4G hotspot functionality.

Sprint will let you get 5 lines with unlimited data on their network, unlimited text, and 1500 shared minutes (free mobile to mobile) for $220. Their website won't let you add a 6th line.

Good luck. Maybe look at prepaid lines as well.

VZN is smoking crack, of course i dont think the others are much better. i have the old family share plan and with that it was $59 a month for the first phone and $9 for the additional dumb phone. with unlimited data and text, insurance and with my discount i pay $115 a month. that same plan would cost me $140+ a month. fark that. i will stay on the plan i have for as long as i can. pre-paid would be the way to go if i was shopping for a new phone/plan deal.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I do Straight Talk, which is pre-paid, but runs on AT&T towers. $45/mo for unlimited talk, text, and data, although they start to throttle you at 2.5G of data. With tax, it's about $49/mo, although you can buy a 3 or 6 month package for better pricing.

My kids have Virgin Mobile pre-paid. 300 minutes, unlimited talk and text for $35/mo. My wife is on contract with Sprint for her iPhone for &75/mo. I do get a 22% discount on Sprint through work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top