Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2012 1:20:58 PM EDT
So today I was buying a dining room set at a furniture store. I had brought my Suburban with the back seats removed, and I was confident enough that I would be able to fit all the boxes in the back.

Nope, the table comes in a box that is maybe 2" wider than the rear hatch... Fuck...

I was telling the store guy to take the boxes back inside while I went home to fetch my trailer (no big deal, really - 2 miles away), and an older gentlemen (late 60's-early 70's) walks up and offers to load the table into the back of his pickup and follow me with it. In hindsight I should have probably declined, and just went and grabbed the trailer, but after 4 hours of furniture shopping, his offer sounded great, and he was obviously an upstanding citizen.

The store employee and I loaded it into his truck, and he followed me to the house.

He and I unloaded it, and I offered him $10 for the help, and he declined insistently - saying it was "His good deed for the day"

I wished him a Happy Thanksgiving, he did the same to me, and he was on his way.

Very unexpected, and brightened my day a bit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#1]
CSB

I had someone run out to my car to give me the credit card I had left in one of the Kinko's machines. It's good that there are still decent people, but it seems like they are getting older and older.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice

Pics of table?

Speed

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nice

Pics of table?

Speed

Dinner pic tomorrow!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice

Pics of table?

Speed

Dinner pic tomorrow!

Mine is still sitting in the 170lb box as are the chairs.

Thank god we're not having thanksgiving dinner at our house

Speed

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice.
More often than not, as I'm leaving the depot, or Lowes, I see an old man, or a woman struggling to load lumber into a vehicle. I lend a hand where I can...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
CSB

I had someone run out to my car to give me the credit card I had left in one of the Kinko's machines. It's good that there are still decent people, but it seems like they are getting older and older.

Some folks of the younger generations still have it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#8]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:

Still some decent folks around.

If I was a Mod God I would fix your post for ya

Got the Gent helping you out.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I did the same thing for someone that was going to leave his wife to guard a 55" TV while he went home for his pickup. The store was closing, it was dark, I offered him a hand. I saw that once we got it loaded it seemed to occur to him that there was a risk in accepting the offer. I offered to have him ride with me in case we got separated. After we unloaded it he tried to slip me some cash, but I don't accept money for deeds. I told him to pay it forward.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#10]
10 bucks, what's up big spender
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why back in my day a nickel would get ya 2 movies, a cartoon, a bag of popcorn and a whoopin!!!

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The amount didn't matter as the money was never going to change hands, it was a gesture. Glad there are still men in this country.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Good stuff. Now return the favor to someone down the line.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#15]
You Will Not Touch My Table!

Is what you shoulda said
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#16]
i gave a young couple with a kid a jump at a gas station the other day ,i guess a few people had declined to help and they were very thankful.after we got it running the women took my hands in hers and looked me right in the eye and said " god bless you sir" now I'm barely a religious person but it was very touching .theres no money or thing in the world that can make you feel as good as when you help someone.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife and I were driving down a busy local street on a Sunday. We flew past all of this debris in the road and my wife says "I think those were credit cards and a purse in the road!". We whip around the block and I detour traffic while the wife picks it all up (including fishing some of the CCs out of a mud puddle). We look at the stuff (CCs, couple hundred $$$, etc scattered everywhere) and find-out who it belongs to and look up their home phone. We left a message on their answering machine that we'd found her stuff and to call us. A Couple of hours later the lady calls and is very grateful that we found it. She was a lawyer who was buying pizzas for her employees that afternoon because they were having a big case prep session at work. She'd left her purse on the roof of her car and drove off. It made it about three blocks and then fell off.

Anyways... she drops by our house later and insisted on giving us a $50 bill (for a "nice dinner or something"). Since she was a soul-sucking lawyer... we accepted her offer and DID have a nice dinner on her. But she got back all of her belongings (which would have been likely to have been misused by other passers-by on the side of town she dumped them on).
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Probably come back tonight with his meth head kids and try to steal it since he knows where you live and it's brand new.

Only half kidding .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top