Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 7:17:09 AM EDT
I preformed some work for a company and now they are requesting a W-9 form. I am an individual and do not own a company so do I use my SS#?  Do I collect local tax from them and if so how do I claim it?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#1]
If you don't have a passport, you'll need your SS# and driver's license.   They'll send you a W2 after the first of the year.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:19:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I preformed some work for a company and now they are requesting a W-9 form. I am an individual and do not own a company so do I use my SS#?  Do I collect local tax from them and if so how do I claim it?

Yes, use your ssn - they will report the wages so make sure you claim them at tax time.Taxes come from your gross earnings from them.

You can download the form from the IRS - just google W-9 IRS PDF and that should bring it up.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you don't have a passport, you'll need your SS# and driver's license.   They'll send you a W2 after the first of the year.

They won't send you a W2, they will send you a 1099 at the end of the year.  Use that to report your taxes.  Just use your SSN

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:13:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, guess I just need to start dealing in cash or barter these days!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:32:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's for the I9, which verifies his eligibility to work in the US. Employees fill out the W4 to set-up/ correct withholding.

He was sent the W9, which is for independent contractors (and to others who receive non-employee comp) that is used to formally identify the person for IRS reporting and backup withholding, if applicable.

Which form to use when confuses some people. I did an independent contractor gig a few years ago and was initially asked to fill an I9, which was subsequently replaced with the correct W9.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:36:08 AM EDT
[#6]
If you worked for them as a private contractor on a 1099 don't forget to deduct your related  business expenses when you file your taxes.

Who knows, you might even have a loss.?

Speak to your tax preparer about this.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:37:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Use your SSN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top