Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2012 5:49:56 AM EDT

Gas stations in the U.S. of A. suck.  

Today my wife had to get a blood test at the doctor’s office.  After the blood test we went to IHOP to eat.  I also had to buy gas for my truck.  

We pulled up to the intersection and noticed the Chevron station had regular gas for $3.29.  The Sunoco station had regular for $3.15.  

After eating I pulled out and was going to pull into the Sunoco station and full up.  The price went up to $3.29 in a half hour.  

Open letter to all gas stations in the U.S. of A.,  “YOU SUCK ASS“.  

Can anyone tell me how much oil do we buy from Israel?  To my limited knowledge, NONE.  

Gas went down just before the election and guess what, It’s going back up at record amounts.  

Oh by the way, TAXES are also going up.  

Welcome to the FORWARD movement Obama was talking about.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:52:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Life becomes so much easier when you don't chase that $2-3 per tank in savings.

I don't comprehend your stress.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:52:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Speculators are speculating

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:53:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Gas went up because of the Thanksgiving holiday. Supply & demand...not the whim of the gas station.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:54:22 AM EDT
[#4]
in for the lulz

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:54:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm disappointed. I opened this hoping that it would be a comparison of US gas stations and Italian Autogrills.

It really is a wonderful thing on a road trip to stop by the Autogrill, fill up, then go inside to stand at the bar and have a well-made coffee and a pastry. Or have a nice sit-down meal, then a leisurely stroll through a market with meats and cheese that would be considered high-end and gourmet stateside.

I sure love Autogrills.Switzerland and Germany have some great gas stations, too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:55:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Locally we have Quick Trip.  A well managed business, but they are pissing me off with making me enter my zipcode every time now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:57:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought you were going to post that you went to the hostess section of the gas station aisles and discovered that they were out of everything but snowballs.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:58:39 AM EDT
[#8]
are you part of the FSA?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:58:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Life becomes so much easier when you don't chase that $2-3 per tank in savings.

I don't comprehend your stress.

I'm going with that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought you were going to post that you went to the hostess section of the gas station aisles and discovered that they were out of everything but snowballs.

You've found snowballs? Those are my favorite Hostess cakes!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybe they should have kept it at $4 per gallon from this summer so you wouldn't be experiencing so much dissonance.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:08:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Thats a dollar less per gallon than it is up here
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:08:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Where in the world do you approve of the gas stations Carmen Sandiego?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:08:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Laughable, how can anybody bitch about gas creeping up after they just paid at least $20.00 for breakfast foods that usually consist of eggs, panckaes and two slices of cheap ass bacon.

How much would anything on that menu cost you if you fried it yourself? You could buy enough breakfast fixings to eat for a week on what that costs. Conversely, if you ate breakfast there 3 times you could've filled up your vehicle and likely had money left over to buy you own fixings..
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:09:05 AM EDT
[#15]
You should of eaten pancakes second.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#16]
To all people that say gas stations suck ass............

Please go in and say that face to face so you can be refused service and have no gas to get you home.  

It's not the gas stations.  It's Wallstreet and the Gov.  

Most gas station owners are doing really, really well to make a 3% margin on gas.  3% does not cover the expenses that go along with said pumps. Gas is a lost leader and the owners hope you will come in to buy something else.

Before you complain about it going up and not seeing a delivery truck......

If that next load is going to be higher priced, they need to raise the price now to offset the cost of the new load.  Many times, the price will go down right after the station has bought a load, and the price will go up right before they buy one.  This squeezes thier margins even more.

What's even funnier is people that drive 3-4 miles out of thier way to save .02-.03 per gallon.  They have burned up any savings PLUS some by not stopping at the higher station.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:11:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Today my wife had to get a blood test at the doctor’s office.  After the blood test we went to IHOP to eat.  I also had to buy gas for my truck.  

We pulled up to the intersection and noticed the Chevron station had regular gas for $3.29.  The Sunoco station had regular for $3.15.  

After eating I pulled out and was going to pull into the Sunoco station and full up.  The price went up to $3.29 in a half hour.  

Can anyone tell me how much oil do we buy from Israel?  To my limited knowledge, NONE.  

Gas went down just before the election and guess what, It’s going back up at record amounts.  

Open letter to you gasoline consumers...

You guys are no prize either. Did you ever wonder why most locations have Indians and Pakistanis behind the counter?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:21:11 AM EDT
[#18]
OP sucks ass.  Cheapest gas here is $3.83, and heating oil is about the same.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#19]
that's to protect against CC theft...

Quoted:
Locally we have Quick Trip.  A well managed business, but they are pissing me off with making me enter my zipcode every time now.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:24:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Gas here is $8 a gallon. Europe, the future of America.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:27:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You should of eaten pancakes second.

Yep. You must strike when the iron is hot.

In November of 1846 the Donner party reached the Sierra Nevada mountains and climbed almost to the peak. It was late in the evening on a clear, cold night so they decided to camp and cover the last few miles in the morning. Bad mistake. Instead of eating a fine meal at an IHOP they ate each other.

Count your blessings and remember this advice.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:31:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Let me guess you have no idea how commodity and futures markets work
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:33:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:34:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:35:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I paid $3.08 yesterday.  My wife paid $3.39.  I almost never get the best of her on a shopping transaction.

Gas prices make no sense.  They never have and never will until you embrace one important principle.  "They will charge you just a wee bit more than you really want to pay."  It's supply and demand.  There was a time when futures traders didn't create quite as much volatility in the markets but those days are gone.  If you want to live in a capitalist driven economy you have to put up with guys trying to make a fast buck on anything and everything.  Gasoline retailers generally don't know how much their product is going to cost them until some time after it's delivered and they're just making a wild guess while trying to keep from kicking off a price war with an oil company.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:37:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Premium is $2.98 here today.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:54:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
When I lived in Australia they banned 24 hour gas stations and didn't open at all on Sundays.

"Everyone" knew this except the yankees going fishing early in the morning who arrived one of the two gas stations within 200 miles to fine them closed.

I was told that the law was to help the mom-n-pop places compete with the big guys. Mom and pop were at church on Sundays and couldn't stay up all night pumping gas - or apparently hire someone to do it for them on the profits from $12 a gallon gasoline.

Was it really $12/gal, or was it $2 with $10 of tax?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:55:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Gas here is $8 a gallon. Europe, the future of America.

Your Mexicans speak Turkish though...

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:59:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I paid $3.08 yesterday.  My wife paid $3.39.  I almost never get the best of her on a shopping transaction.

Gas prices make no sense.  They never have and never will until you embrace one important principle.  "They will charge you just a wee bit more than you really want to pay."  It's supply and demand.  There was a time when futures traders didn't create quite as much volatility in the markets but those days are gone.  If you want to live in a capitalist driven economy you have to put up with guys trying to make a fast buck on anything and everything.  Gasoline retailers generally don't know how much their product is going to cost them until some time after it's delivered and they're just making a wild guess while trying to keep from kicking off a price war with an oil company.  

Volatility will remain in futures markets as long as interest rates remain as low as they have.  That really applies to all markets for the most part.  Don't even get me started on interest rate future hedging
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:02:57 AM EDT
[#30]
back in the 80's when in college, I worked for 7-11.
we had gas pumps.
boss told me to set the price to the same as the station across the road.

there are probably tighter "controls" placed upon stations now (?)
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:04:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether this particular gas station raised its prices while the OP and his wife grazed at IHOP - it did.   But you can't hold all gas stations responsible for the behavior of a few, sick perverted businesses. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole gasoline system? And if the whole gasoline system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our business institutions in general? I put it to you: isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do what you you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:06:40 AM EDT
[#32]
The owner of my local station has prices that are low when everyone else is high, and high when everyone else is low - at least it seems like it.  

I was chatting with him over coffee and asked about the pricing ups and downs at his station.

He told me that he buys it at the current price and sells the entire underground tank at that price until he has to refill the tank.  When he refills the tank, he prices it according to the buy price he gets at that time.

I gladly buy my gas from him.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:08:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thats a dollar less per gallon than it is up here

And much less than most of the world pays- due to the taxation we're about to see here too...

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:12:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thx for displaying your ignorance of economics  

How do you know the Sunoco station didn't get a notification (while you were stuffing your fat face @ IHOP) stating that their next gas shipment would cost more than the previous one?  In order to pay for that gas and stay in business, the station has to raise prices immediately.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm disappointed. I opened this hoping that it would be a comparison of US gas stations and Italian Autogrills.

It really is a wonderful thing on a road trip to stop by the Autogrill, fill up, then go inside to stand at the bar and have a well-made coffee and a pastry. Or have a nice sit-down meal, then a leisurely stroll through a market with meats and cheese that would be considered high-end and gourmet stateside.

I sure love Autogrills.Switzerland and Germany have some great gas stations, too.

It has been years since I have had a panini con prosciutto e mozzarella thanks for reminding me.  Molto grazie amico.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:15:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
back in the 80's when in college, I worked for 7-11.
we had gas pumps.
boss told me to set the price to the same as the station across the road.

there are probably tighter "controls" placed upon stations now (?)

No, it still works pretty much the same, except now the manager is told what the price should be by corporate.  

Who just looks out their window at the other corporation's office and sets it according to them.

Progress!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Why was the number on the bathroom stall not a good time?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Wait till a crazy ex takes your card and buys over a thousand dollars in gas for herself and all her friends.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Why didn't you drive ten extra miles to find a cheaper station and you could have saved 1.50 while spending that much driving??
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:21:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Why was the number on the bathroom stall not a good time?  

It was a man wasn't it?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:23:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
that's to protect against CC theft...

Quoted:

Exactly. Its a low level of protection, but I think its worth the extra 5 seconds it takes me.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:23:09 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Open letter to all gas stations in the U.S. of A.,  "YOU SUCK ASS".  

You gotta strike while the iron is hot.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:25:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait till a crazy ex takes your card and buys over a thousand dollars in gas for herself and all her friends.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

You can't just leave a teaser like that and not tell the whole story.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:26:48 AM EDT
[#44]
The price went up to $3.29 in a half hour.

A. common rookie mistake filling up just prior to a big holiday weekend and expecting 'a deal'

B. I would love to be paying $3.29 gal ........ beat it
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#45]
They have been screing you hard for 30 years, why stop now ?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:29:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
They have been screwing you hard for 30 years, why stop now ?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:29:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Still $3.09 in my part of Mexas...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:31:05 AM EDT
[#48]
I just wish they'd put paper in the sonofabitching credit receipt printer

Goddamn lowlife motherfuckers, I used my credit card so I didn't have to stand in line behind your ebt-scamming, lotto scratching shitslurper customers

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Open letter to all gas stations in the U.S. of A.,  "YOU SUCK ASS".  

You gotta strike while the iron is hot.

Quit whining OP, over here variations are triple that overnight with no common sense reason.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:34:35 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm disapoint....I thought this was going to be a NJ Gas Jockey thread.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top