Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2012 6:16:07 PM EDT
When it comes to a gun not having a purpose.

Can a gun just be a piece of metal/plastic/wood that does nothing but expel a bullet down range?

I know a lot of companies market their gun with some purpose that is non-existent

the judge
mossbergs tacitcool line
etc
just to name a few...

I do not think those gun would replace a serious duty weapon

but just for the sake of shooting are not all guns ok? to some extent
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
No, guns are icky Mkay!?

- Clint
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No, guns are icky Mkay!?

- Clint

This.

Guns are icky poo poo.

Wait, this website is about GUNS?!?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Some people are just born with sand in their sensitive parts.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#4]
It's the internet.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, guns are icky Mkay!?

- Clint

This.

Guns are icky poo poo.

Wait, this website is about GUNS?!?

I am here just for the Math and Science section.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Can a gun just be a piece of metal/plastic/wood that does nothing but expel a bullet down range?

I know a lot of companies market their gun with some purpose that is non-existent

the judge
mossbergs tacitcool line
etc
just to name a few...

There is ALWAYS some fucktard who has an opinion on what someone else shoots, or does.  USPSA, IDPA, CAS, Hunting...there's always gonna be some idiot who has something negative to say.  It's one of the ARF paradoxes...  FREEEEDDDOOOMMMM.....Until you are doing something that "I" Dont Like or Do....
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm with you OP, I see people just asking why when someone buys a Chainsaw or Judge. Because they want to and guns are awesome, unless it's an AK
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Because on a fundamental level, pieces of shit like this are an affront to both form AND function.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#10]
This gun (not mine, it belongs to a friend of mine):

Has but 2 reasons to exist. The first is to blast apart large containers of water. The other is to do this:

while doing that.

To all the purists: You better be damned GLAD I altered the rifle. It ups the collector value of the other 30-something MILLION of these that are out there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the judge
mossbergs tacitcool line
etc
just to name a few...

There is ALWAYS some fucktard who has an opinion on what someone else shoots, or does.  USPSA, IDPA, CAS, Hunting...there's always gonna be some idiot who has something negative to say.  It's one of the ARF paradoxes...  FREEEEDDDOOOMMMM.....Until you are doing something that "I" Dont Like or Do....

Advocating freedom means not trying to prohibit other people from doing things you disagree with; it doesn't mean having shitty taste.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/ZZZardoz/Firearms/_DER0206.jpg

Has but 2 reasons to exist. The first is to blast apart large containers of water. The other is to do this:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/ZZZardoz/Gunshots/Muzzleflash2.jpg

while doing that.

To all the purists: You better be damned GLAD I altered the rifle. It ups the collector value of the other 30-something MILLION of these that are out there.

Looks like fun!

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

the judge
mossbergs tacitcool line
etc
just to name a few...

I have no problem with the Judge, although it is vastly overrated. The people who buy the Judge and tell me all the bullshit they heard about it on the internet, and tell my customers to buy a Judge because you don't have to aim it; they give me a headache.

The Mossberg tacticool line offends my sensibilities. They give the impression that Mossber has the opinion,"Those dopes will buy anything as long as it's matte black and it has rails on it."

Imagine if Mossberg made a hunting rifle that came with a scope and one cartridge and marketed it to people who wanted to go hunting and not shoot the gun until they see a deer. It's for guys who want to run around the woods with a loaded rifle and no idea what they're doing. A flat, black lever action with a telestock and multiple rails is the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I just wanted to post this here

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/ZZZardoz/Firearms/_DER0206.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/ZZZardoz/Gunshots/Muzzleflash2.jpg
while doing that.

Looks like fun!  

Oh it is, trust me. And, when you tell people that it doesn't kick, everybody wants to shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:40:03 PM EDT
[#16]

I am not really sure what the hell it is but it looks like fun too.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Because that majority sees the only purpose of a gun is to kill people.  That's the end all be all reason for the existence of guns.  They do not see the sporting use.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Some people are just born with sand in their sensitive parts.  

If they get lucky, maybe someday that clam will spit out a pearl!  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I have no problem with the Judge per se.  It's the tard who actually thinks a Judge is a superior to a 9mm etc for self defense.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just wanted to post this here

What the fuck is that?  

I think I want one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Because on a fundamental level, pieces of shit like this are an affront to both form AND function.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q285/ragin_cajun_photos/37204.jpg

Serious question - what is that?  Airsoft?  .22?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#23]
A .50BMG SBR? I bet the muzzle flash/blast is...um...impressive. Probably isn't safe to park a car next to it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a Mossberg 715, tactical .22LR. You can get them for $250.00.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Just shows that even as bad a shape as
we are in, all we really have are first world problems.

People simply don't have enough to worry about.  

Add in the appeal of self satisfied smugness...Hey, how
could people NOT be butt hurt about something as trivial as that?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a Mossberg 715, tactical .22LR. You can get them for $250.00.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a feeling hurt once...then I carterized it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What the fuck is that?  

I think I want one.

That sir is a whole lot of awesome in a small package, SBR 50.

I dont know the details of it, but I know the brass has to be coated in robitussin.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#29]
The arguing that used to go on fairly constantly about .380 and, well pretty much any handgun that wasn't a Smith, 1911, or Glock, was a good example of that. Seemed like the only purpose some folks think a handgun could have was concealed carry.  I have three .380's and none of them were bought for carry.
Counting hunting rifles, I might have half a dozen guns that were bought for a specific purpose.... Maybe not that many. Hell, I have three single action .45LC revolvers and no use for any of them. I once bought a Ruger Single Six because I only had one .22 revolver. That was a good enough reason for me.

Guns are fun. I like buying new toys, and shooting one for the first time is a neat feeling. The ones that don't make me smile that first time don't stay around for long, but that's rare (Mauser M2 and Mini-14 are two that leap to mind)

Purpose? To help me and my sons enjoy being in the mountains together. Once defense is taken care of, can anyone think of a better purpose?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#30]
If I could I would have one of every non-practical gun in the world just because it is Fun to shoot...
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Honestly, I fall into that group. I don't get my feelings hurt but for some reason, every gun has to have a reason to be in my collection. I am not in much of a collecting mood lately, I'm just into mags and ammo, no more guns for a while.

To me, I don't want to start getting "fun guns" until the bases are covered in my book.
Must haves are at least one AR15 in 5.56
12GA shotgun
9mm Pistol for that can be carried daily
.22LR Rifle
and an extra one for me, would be a .45acp handgun that can be carried daily.

Everything else is for "sport" or whatever.

Right now, I have one fun gun that is going to become my HD rifle and that's my Daniel Defense DDM4V5 300 blackout rifle.
In the future the guns that have really no purpose that I would like to have are
Judge
PPK
NAA .22 revolver
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I dont know about the rest of you, but a gun that I buy has a purpose that justifies the outlay of cash.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I dont know about the rest of you, but a gun that I buy has a purpose that justifies the outlay of cash.

always budget your fun first...

fun is a justification for me...
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#34]
What I want to know is why people get so upset about people modifying "historic" firearms.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What I want to know is why people get so upset about people modifying "historic" firearms.

You mean like drilling and tapping an original 1886 to install a T 1.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the fuck is that?  

I think I want one.

That sir is a whole lot of awesome in a small package, SBR 50.

I dont know the details of it, but I know the brass has to be coated in robitussin.

Impressive considering what I'd coat my shorts with shooting next to it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Send one to the Mossberg custom shop.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya, kind of like that. It's that person's firearm; what is the big deal?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I like all guns, won't find me bitching any.  See the same shit on knife forums, how can you be a gun or knife nut if ya don't love em all?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#40]
To the OP's question,  I think the guns are OK, I guess I have more of a problem with the marketing and the people that will buy into it.  For example the judge, is a fine self defense gun if using 45 colt and a good trail gun with the 410 option.  Where it fails is how it is marketed is using .410 bird shot for self defense.  Ammo makers are even making defense ammo for it.  Not a problem with the gun, just the marketing.  Mossberg's chainsaw shotgun just seems dangerous to me.  Their tacticool 30-30 I have no real problems with it per se, but I will laugh at someone that owns it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

My bills are budgeted first.
I can find a multitude of ways to have 'fun" that don't involve spending huge sums of cash if I am tight on money when everything is paid for the month.
However, if I fail to pay my bills, that has a cascading negative effect on my quality of life.

Quoted:

Do you mean true historic guns or repro guns?
I don't like the look of optics on historic designs like lever actions.
I understand that some people have to resort to them because of failing vision, etc.
It seems that some people don't want to shoot a gun if it doesn't have a red dot on it
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:32:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bills are budgeted first.
I can find a multitude of ways to have 'fun" that don't involve spending huge sums of cash if I am tight on money when everything is paid for the month.
However, if I fail to pay my bills, that has a cascading negative effect on my quality of life.

of course you pay your bills first....how else can you know how much you will have for a "Fun" budget
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:37:46 AM EDT
[#43]
I get annoyed because I don't see a firearm as a toy.  They command respect because at their heart they're deadly weapons.  Go down the road of disrespecting them makes it dangerous to be around shooters who take them lightly.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:39:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

of course you pay your bills first....how else can you know how much you will have for a "Fun" budget

I have no fun budget. I eek out a few bucks for stuff I want to do or things I want to buy.
It is setting up to be a major issue in the divorce.
Way I see it from reading posts here over teh years, married couples budget in one of two ways
They have seperate accounts that their respective paychecks to to, split the bills down the middle and anything thats left over is theirs to do with as they please.
They have a joint account that everything goes into and everything is paid out of. Anything left over is spent by agreement

It hasn't been that way here in 20 years and its  an issue.
Now back to our regular programming
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:47:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
To the OP's question,  I think the guns are OK, I guess I have more of a problem with the marketing and the people that will buy into it.  For example the judge, is a fine self defense gun if using 45 colt and a good trail gun with the 410 option.  Where it fails is how it is marketed is using .410 bird shot for self defense.  Ammo makers are even making defense ammo for it.  Not a problem with the gun, just the marketing.  

Truth in marketing would be what I say to someone with a Judge Jones......Well it's good for snakes and such.

Myself I've bought four threaded vintage Mossberg .22s and a threaded Remington Speedmaster and will pick up another threaded Mossberg this coming Saturday and I don't even own the first can.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:53:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Here's a taste of WIN:

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I get annoyed because I don't see a firearm as a toy.  They command respect because at their heart they're deadly weapons.  Go down the road of disrespecting them makes it dangerous to be around shooters who take them lightly.

have you not seen some of the guns out there...the bad guys would be near impossible to hit because of two reasons

either they will be laughing so hard at the weird gun you are pointing at them and hence a hard target.

or two the gun is so useless that it is too hard to hit anything with

and no one said that respect and safety should not be utilized while having fun with your useless gun...

like this one that I want

and while this .22 could kill someone I do not think you can argue that it will be anything but a fun gun for 99% of the people who buy it
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#48]
If it's an operable firearm, it's O.K. with me. I may not want to own it, but I don't care if someone else does.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Buy what you enjoy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
have you not seen some of the guns out there...the bad guys would be near impossible to hit because of two reasons

either they will be laughing so hard at the weird gun you are pointing at them and hence a hard target.

or two the gun is so useless that it is too hard to hit anything with

and no one said that respect and safety should not be utilized while having fun with your useless gun...

like this one that I want

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/mauser348/zip2230rd.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/mauser348/zip2210rd.jpg

and while this .22 could kill someone I do not think you can argue that it will be anything but a fun gun for 99% of the people who buy it

Thank you. I know I can't say it without sounding like more of a dick than usual so I try to just keep quiet when I see that kind of comment. My liberal mother used to say "guns are not toys!" every time I wanted a cap gun, water pistol, BB gun, etc. and it's fairly annoying to continue hearing that as a 44 year old married father.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top