Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 5:53:31 PM EDT
I switched from cartridges to a DE razor (for the most part) back in '09, but I think I'm ready to make the plunge and try my hand at a straight razor. I know I'll have to get a strop and such, and that there will be a learning curve, but what is really getting me now is the dizzying array of options when it comes to the razor itself. I'm seeing prices anywhere from $19.99 to $300+ for new! Is a vintage example worth considering? What should I be looking for? What about an initial sharpening?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't forget that 10,000 grit sharpening stone.  A strop only works so long.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess nobody else goes quite so old school, eh?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]
i use a hart razor myself, but i found it super skechy to shave above the chin line, at the moment i have a fierce beard so i use it to shave the neck area but i wasn't so confident after trying to shave the upper cheek
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I'm really only shaving my neck at this point myself. What about this one, as an example?

Bone handle, Damascus steel blade, semi-rounded tip.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#5]
i watched a few videos on youtube. it doesn't look so bad once you practice a couple of months. i really want to get into this kind of shaving myself. razor brush strop stone strop paste and some nice ceam (i use proraso) should set you back around 400. i'm stuck with a more affordable and compact safety razor arrangement right now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#6]
If you go vintage you can stay pretty inexpensive, and still get a quality razor. I've gotten several nice ones locally for ~$20 or so, but they are 80-150 years old. They work for me though. Try Badger and Blade, and Straight Razor Place, you probably can learn a lot just cruising the forums there.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a straight razor sitting in my closet that I bought and only used once.  I decided to stick to my DE.  I don't even remember the brand or specs but it is a decent one.  If you want it send me a message and it's yours.

ETA:  It's a Dovo 6/8
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Dont forget the accessories.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I've got a straight razor sitting in my closet that I bought and only used once.  I decided to stick to my DE.  I don't even remember the brand or specs but it is a decent one.  If you want it send me a message and it's yours.  

Well, I don't see how I could go wrong on that deal. PM sent! I'll order a strop.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Pretty much anything from Classicshaving.com; just go by what you can afford.  Once you go above about $150 it's no longer a better shave, just a cooler razor.  I have a couple of Thiers-Issards and they're great.  Classicshaving also has a sharpening service that you might consider.  It took me over a year of working with a Norton 4K/8K synthetic stone to learn how to sharpen the razor.

You could also buy a vintage razor but I'll guarantee you it's not shave-ready and may require a lot of work to get there.  You could use that for sharpening practice.  I have an old one from about the 1870's that works when sharp but the steel has micro-bubbles in the raw steel so it is hard to get a consistent edge.

For me the strop only works for a couple of weeks, then it's back to the stone for a brief touch-up, but I'm picky about the shave quality.  The strop and stone is part of the ritual.

It's a very slowly acquired skill and still takes me 25-30 minutes to shave full-face.  Kinda Zen though and having that razor on your throat tends to focus your attention so all other of life's problems kind of have to take a pause.

Best shaves ever.  I can come close to a straight using a DE but the DE is much faster of course so if I'm in a hurry I use that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Pretty much anything from Classicshaving.com; just go by what you can afford.  Once you go above about $150 it's no longer a better shave, just a cooler razor.  I have a couple of Thiers-Issards and they're great.  Classicshaving also has a sharpening service that you might consider.  It took me over a year of working with a Norton 4K/8K synthetic stone to learn how to sharpen the razor.

You could also buy a vintage razor but I'll guarantee you it's not shave-ready and may require a lot of work to get there.  You could use that for sharpening practice.  I have an old one from about the 1870's that works when sharp but the steel has micro-bubbles in the raw steel so it is hard to get a consistent edge.

For me the strop only works for a couple of weeks, then it's back to the stone for a brief touch-up, but I'm picky about the shave quality.  The strop and stone is part of the ritual.

It's a very slowly acquired skill and still takes me 25-30 minutes to shave full-face.  Kinda Zen though and having that razor on your throat tends to focus your attention so all other of life's problems kind of have to take a pause.

Best shaves ever.  I can come close to a straight using a DE but the DE is much faster of course so if I'm in a hurry I use that.

I'll order a stone too, of course. I assume that I'll probably only really use the straight razor on weekends or before special events. I'm honestly mostly interested in the ritual aspect of it, as I already use a DE and brush/soap. This is just taking it to the next level. Honestly, I'm fairly terrified, but if my grandpa could use one, I'm sure I can too.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I switched from cartridges to a DE razor (for the most part) back in '09, but I think I'm ready to make the plunge and try my hand at a straight razor. I know I'll have to get a strop and such, and that there will be a learning curve, but what is really getting me now is the dizzying array of options when it comes to the razor itself. I'm seeing prices anywhere from $19.99 to $300+ for new! Is a vintage example worth considering? What should I be looking for? What about an initial sharpening?

If you are experienced enough to handle a straight, I would give one more DE a try before you jump.

If you have not tried one yet, try the Muhle R41; The closest thing to a straight that isn't one.

Note the blade exposure. I get all the Zen I can handle with this and I have never cut myself with it. Watching people shave with it online, I would say that the cut vs. no cuts ratio is about 75%.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#13]
whippeddog.com

Sight unseen razor kit.

Thank me later

Seriously dont buy anything else until you get this.  Go to badgerandblade.com for further advice but they will tell you the same thing I did.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Myself...I'm a Bic disposable man  

Heres a link with some neat shaving stuff, from a post a couple months ago.
http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This. The shave quality is a huge difference.

ETA: It's not hard to do. Some people act like its fucking brain surgery. Not the post I quoted, but a few others.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#16]
A related option is this; Feather Artist Club series which uses disposable straight razor blades.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's a very slowly acquired skill and still takes me 25-30 minutes to shave full-face.

Are you folks retired and bored or something?
Half hour to shave plus weekly razor maintenance?

I can't imagine adding rituals and "me time" to my bathroom regimen.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a very slowly acquired skill and still takes me 25-30 minutes to shave full-face.

Are you folks retired and bored or something?
Half hour to shave plus weekly razor maintenance?

I can't imagine adding rituals and "me time" to my bathroom regimen.

It takes me 5 minutes with my straight.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#19]
DE takes 2-3 minutes and pennies per blade!!!

Gotta love this place, we're squabbling over whether the 110+ year old shaving is better than the 110-50ish year old shaving
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Gotta love this place, we're squabbling over whether the 110+ year old shaving is better than the 110-50ish year old shaving

Especially when both of them are shit compared to modern shaving options!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Especially when both of them are shit compared to modern shaving options!!!

Modern razors give me razor burn and ingrown hairs something fierce.  A DE does not.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top