Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 3:27:36 PM EDT
With deer season in full swing, I just wanted to get the hives thoughts on freezing deer meat.  What techniques do you use to preserve it the longest, without freezer burn?

I had a guy tell me today that he puts his meat in ziplock bags, and fills the empty space with water before he freezes it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Plastic wrap, wrapped in freezer (butcher) paper....keep the meat dry as possible
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Butcher paper then a ziplock.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This is what I do.

I havent had any problems up to a year. After that, it sometime starts to go.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Plastic wrap, wrapped in freezer (butcher) paper....keep the meat dry as possible

This.

Or vacuum sealing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:36:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Vacuum sealed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#7]
You could can or jar it as an alternative. Just make a huge batch of chili and can it all up. Then you have an easy meal later. I would vacuum pack it, but I use a vacuum packer for fish as well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just do butcher paper and it lasts at least a year for me. Of course the good cuts go fairly fast.

That's what I've always done too, and I've had it last longer than a year.  Although it does get a little questionable after that.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I ziplock the burger we make.

I vaccumm half of it and put it in the bottom, the other half is usually eaten inside of a few months so it just ziplock it and squeeze out the air.

We process like 15 deer each year for the family so we always have a bunch of meat to deal with. That method works out fine for me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#11]
How long does vacuum sealing the meat make it last?  Are they pretty reasonable price wise?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
With deer season in full swing, I just wanted to get the hives thoughts on freezing deer meat.  What techniques do you use to preserve it the longest, without freezer burn?

I had a guy tell me today that he puts his meat in ziplock bags, and fills the empty space with water before he freezes it.

Don't EVER do this.

A] Wrap tight in saran wrap then a good covering of freezer paper.

OR

B] Buy a vacuum sealer and use good heavy duty bags/roll designed for the machine.
The cheap lightweight roll/bags don't work for shit.

Either method will give a freezer life up to 5 years....but that's if you don't ever eat it....
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Food saver or other vacuum sealer
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't EVER do this.

OR

B] Buy a vacuum sealer and use good heavy duty bags/roll designed for the machine.

Either method will give a freezer life up to 5 years....but that's if you don't ever eat it....

I thought that sounded goofy as hell.  What happens when you do that?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#15]
We used plain old zip lock bags for years. No problems so far.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Vacum sealer damn near lasts forever. Ziplocks or saran wrap and butcher paper work great also. We never have any venison left past June though.....we go through 3-4 deer pretty easily.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I cube and can it.  Not back straps though.  They don't last long.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That is the only way to do it other than grinding some for burger
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We always double wrapped with freezer paper.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Only three ways I've ever done it.

Plastic wrap then butcher paper, double butcher wrapped, or butcher paper covered then placed on a foam tray and plastic wrapped.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:12:16 AM EDT
[#21]
bump for the day crew
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:17:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what I do.

I havent had any problems up to a year. After that, it sometime starts to go.

Yup

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:24:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Another vote for vacuum seal.  I do use the freeze in a block of water methiod for fish, and it works well for that.  I wouldn't do it with meat though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:25:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Food Saver. Every hunter/fisherman needs one.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Food Saver. Every hunter/fisherman needs one.

This seems to be the most popular.  Guess I'll be looking into getting one.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#26]
food saver or canned
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't EVER do this.

OR

Maybe you misunderstood him.

You can use water as a "poor man's vacuum sealer", put the food in a ziplock bag, and start submerging it from the bottom of the bag almost to the top. The water pressure will force the air out of the bag. Seal the bag and you're GTG. Just don't let the water pour in over the bag opening.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#28]
My parents have a food saver, so I use that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the only way to do it other than grinding some for burger

Don't forget sausage.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't EVER do this.

OR

Maybe you misunderstood him.

You can use water as a "poor man's vacuum sealer", put the food in a ziplock bag, and start submerging it from the bottom of the bag almost to the top. The water pressure will force the air out of the bag. Seal the bag and you're GTG. Just don't let the water pour in over the bag opening.

lobster tails get the fill the bag with water treatment. everything else gets vacuum sealed
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Or vacuum sealing.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Or vacuum sealing.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Poor man's vacuum sealing.

1.  Fill sink or bucket with water.
2.  Place cuts in heavy duty ziplock bags.
3.  Arrange in somewhat even fashion.
4.  Slowly lower bag into water.  Using water pressure to force the air out of the ziplock bag.
5.  Seal.

Will result in a "vacuum sealed" ziplock container.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

4.  Slowly lower bag into water.  Using water pressure to force the air out of the ziplock bag.
5.  Seal.

That will get most of the air out, but the pressure in a bucket or sink of water won't equal what a vacuum pump can do.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

5.  Seal.

That will get most of the air out, but the pressure in a bucket or sink of water won't equal what a vacuum pump can do.

As long as you arrange the contents properly and in a fashion which does not support a void against the water pressure, it will work just fine.

If that concerned, first place cuts in thin "sandwich" bag type ziplocks to do the air trick.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:54:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Vacuum seal it
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

5.  Seal.

I've never thought of doing that. That's a pretty genius idea for something so simple.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#40]
We use ziploc bags then aluminum foil. If you get most of the air out of the bag then wrap it in aluminum foil it keeps very well. We routinely eat deer meat that's 2 years old with no problems at all. Any more than that and you start seeing some freezer burn. Pork doesn't last as long, but it's usually good for a year. We keep ours rotated, but sometimes an older pack gets mixed in.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#41]
LEM bags with a hog ring or vacuum sealed. Meat stays good for a couple years that way.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#42]
I used a vacuum sealer until it broke. Now I use the press and seal wrap and then a ziplock.

I use water in ziplocks for birds. I just ate some 2 year old frozen turkey breast that was just fine.

Supposedly a freezer that is not frost free is better as well. A little freezer burn can be trimmed off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top