Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/19/2012 7:13:32 AM EDT
Smashing into each other's lines in a blurred spray of blood and bone as .30-06 and 8mm Mauser traded back and forth at close range. MG42s and .30 Brownings, BAR's and wooden stick grenades. When the charges met each other, it was sorted out with bayonets, .45's, shovels and samurai swords.

After the war, these men, returned home to their families and lived on with nary a complaint. They would tell they did what they had to do.

Our Grandfathers were not only great men, they were magnificent men. Wish we were more like em.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:14:00 AM EDT
[#1]
k

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Smashing into each other's lines in a blurred spray of blood and bone as .30-06 and 8mm Mauser traded back and forth at close range. MG42s and .30 Brownings, BAR's and wooden stick grenades. When the charges met each other, it was sorted out with bayonets, .45's, shovels and samurai swords.

After the war, these men, returned home to their families and lived on with nary a complaint. They would tell they did what they had to do.

Our Grandfathers were not only great men, they were magnificent men. Wish we were more like em.

Indeed.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:21:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm sure there is a recruiter's station near you that can help you out with that

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:22:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:35:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Thatguy,

Im afraid I'm on the tail end of my highspeedness, 41 now, 3 tours in Iraq.

You?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:36:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thatguy,

You?

Snarf
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure there is a recruiter's station near you that can help you out with that

The welfare state they helped create doesn't exactly endear them to me personally. I know that's not the "red, white and blue" answer but its' the truth.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:40:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I have been saying more and more lately , about eras even closer to today.

––-It was a different time.––-
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#9]
True, but did the Germans use Samurai swords?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They bombed Pearl Harbor, didn't they?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

They did when they bombed pearl harbor!

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes, after they bombed Pearl Harbor.

Shit.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:50:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Too bad they raised a bunch of entitled pussies responsible for the political climate becoming what it is.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:51:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, after they bombed Pearl Harbor.

Shit.

I swear I saw this exact same thing either Election night or on TImewarp night (DST rollback)
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:08:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The welfare state they helped create doesn't exactly endear them to me personally. I know that's not the "red, white and blue" answer but its' the truth.

so true
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#17]
It was my father's generation.  They were a good bunch, but not supermen.  Keep in mind only about one in seven ever saw combat.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:14:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You are so wrong it defies description.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#21]

gonna have to say "no thank you" to that one....yikes.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:15:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It was my father's generation.  They were a good bunch, but not supermen.  Keep in mind only about one in seven ever saw combat.

There were riots protesting the draft as well. Not everything was as peachy keen as we want to think it was. Not everyone was singular in their support of the war effort.

Some came home and simply drank themselves into oblivion. Some just never came home. Some came home and kept their problems at home by getting drunk and beating their wives and children.

There were some great men. There were some scumbags. Just like today.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:20:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Speak for yourself. My Grandfather was in WWI
Dad was in WWII

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Believing in what you are fighting for, and having the countries support helps a lot in wars, and when they are finished and have to come home.  Vietnam turned it all upside down
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I read (it was in a book written by a Vietnam war vet––and not an anti-Vietnam book).

That something like 70% if the soldiers in WWII were drafted, only something like 30% were drafted in Vietnam (not exact numbers, but something like that). And yes many WWII waited to be drafted so that the military would put them where they were needed.

That in WWII the average infantry man saw 100 days of combat, in Vietnam is was like 220 days (again, not hard numbers, but the jist of what he was saying).

The folks of WWII were the greatest generation.

What then of the Vietnam generation?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#26]

They also elected FDR 3 times, which didn't exactly help matters for us today.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speak for yourself. My Grandfather was in WWI
Dad was in WWII

Yes,mine too. ...and my GREAT Grandpa was in the Civil War.OLD farts,ain't you  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#28]
The rates of alcoholism, domestic violence, suicide, and depression from returning WW2 vets, especially from the war in the Pacific, was incomprehensible to the medical community, or even the public at large, at the time.  They didn't go over there, sling machine gun fire at each other, then shrug it off, come home, and pick up life, reminiscing once in a while in a bar.  The people who returned from WW2 still gave their lives for that war, bearing it to the day they died.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I read (it was in a book written by a Vietnam war vet––and not an anti-Vietnam book).
That something like 70% if the soldiers in WWII were drafted, only something like 30% were drafted in Vietnam (not exact numbers, but something like that). And yes many WWII waited to be drafted so that the military would put them where they were needed.
That in WWII the average infantry man saw 100 days of combat, in Vietnam is was like 220 days (again, not hard numbers, but the jist of what he was saying).

My Dad was a WWII draftee........just as soon as he got out of High School in '43.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Dad was a WWII draftee........just as soon as he got out of High School in '43.
My dad tried to join, so that he could use the GI bill to pay for med school. They rejected him because he was blind in one eye.

He put himself through med school, and when he graduated (and did his residency), they drafted him for Korea.

Once you are a doctor, the blind eye is not such a problem.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thatguy,

You?

Oh snap! That's a call out.

dc306, Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#32]
"smashing into each others lines"

WTF is this shit?

It wasn't the charge of the Light Brigade, it was small unit actions which were very similar to today.   Fire and maneuver, overwatch, suppressive fire, etc.

That being said, there's not a DAMNED thing COOL or FUN about combat.   It's loud and dirty, and mentally and physically demanding, and there's a good chance either you or a close friend will end up maimed or dead.

My advice is to stick to FPS games.

/edit IF you are vet, I'm still surprised you posted this shit.   Fobbit?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Then they came home and had children.  After suffering the Great Depression then a world war they insulated their children to the ills of society and turned them into weak minded liberals.  

The Greatest Generation is up to interpretation.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My Papa was on Iwo Jima.  He personally killed many soldiers.  You would never have known.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#35]
While WWII was tough, especially if you were on the Eastern Front, I would much prefer to have served in WWII than WWI or the American Civil War, where you did actually still have bayonet charges and were more likely to die from disease than a bullet. Or the horrorshows they called hospitals.

But like others have said, a firefight in the modern age is probably even more traumatic.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

WTF is this shit?

It wasn't the charge of the Light Brigade, it was small unit actions which were very similar to today.   Fire and maneuver, overwatch, suppressive fire, etc.

That being said, there's not a DAMNED thing COOL or FUN about combat.   It's loud and dirty, and mentally and physically demanding, and there's a good chance either you or a close friend will end up maimed or dead.

+1, my thoughts exactly.  Did not expect to hear that sort of thing from someone who's done it themselves or even has much of a clue about the reality of it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:57:36 AM EDT
[#37]
No more so than the men of any other war.

Now that you've developed an interest in WWII, you should widen your horizons to the rest of the wars in the last 25 centuries.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

WTF is this shit?

Hopefully OP will be in to explain more...
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They won the war/saved the country - then came home and sired the generation that is destroying it now.  I love that generation - both of my grandfathers fought in WW2 - but they ushered in the age of entitlements.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:00:21 AM EDT
[#40]
From memory, returning soldiers from WW2 could look forward to, a suicide rate of about 25%, and an alcoholism rate of over 50%....
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:00:55 AM EDT
[#41]
they used napoleonic tactics in WWII?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF is this shit?

OP can go fuck himself.

Dude, the military has never been a cake walk.  The OP is just pointing out the larger scale of non PC crazy war shit of our grandfather's generation.  It's kind of comparing apples to oranges, but getting mad at the OP is silly.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:07:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF is this shit?

Hopefully OP will be in to explain more...

Dude, the military has never been a cake walk.  The OP is just pointing out the larger scale of non PC crazy war shit of our grandfather's generation.  It's kind of comparing apples to oranges, but getting mad at the OP is silly.

I guess I read the nary a complain part being a stab at modern vets.

either way, I edited my post, it was a bit harsh
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Much respect to those vets...what the combat units and all of those who supported them did in WW2, both theaters, was nothing short of monumental.

WW2 was a time where big government, food rationing, nationalization of assets (or at least use of private assets for the war effort), and other "for the cause" type of shit basically defeated the most powerful military forces in modern times.

It isn't such a stretch to imagine that this generation, seeing how it worked out, set us on a course for bigger government and eventually all the nanny-state type of stuff we see today.

It will be on OUR generation to get back on track.  If we can't manage to do that, we're no better.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
From memory, returning soldiers from WW2 could look forward to, a suicide rate of about 25%, and an alcoholism rate of over 50%....

Solid for      You should really recheck your memory.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF is this shit?

OP can go fuck himself.

Calm the fuck down.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Thatguy,

You?

Yep
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Then they came home and decided they deserved social security and other entitlements, voted exclusivly for democrats and indirectly destroyed the country they fought for.    Sad really.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Are you under the impression that second world war tactics consisted of two units running at each other and then getting into a hand to hand fight once they met?

Apart from the tens of thousands who came home as completely different men than those who left, both externally and internally
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#50]
This OP is right here.

I do realize this IS the internet and you, of course, wouldn't blink at a screaming Japanese Officer with a samurai sword, or be impressed with Regimental sized bayonet charges, but I have that respect.

As for the guys who are surprised that I posted my respect for The Greatest Generation, even though I am a vet.....sorry for you, brother. I never said those things were cool or fun, I said they did it and they returned home with nary a complaint. That's my experience, both Grandfathers served.

My work partner's Grandfather was an Iwo Jima Marine. Lost one of his feet there. Just went on with life.

My respect.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top