Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/17/2012 3:53:54 AM EDT
So my parents have about 5 acres around there house that the local apple orchard leased and put trees on.  The orchard has just recently decided to go out of business and are cutting down all the trees and leaving the land vacant. They have said my parents can keep whatever trees they want.  My parents can't take care of hundreds of trees so they are going to let them remove most of them.

Any Ideas on what to do with land that was rows of trees.

Only thing that I heard was try and get a landscaping business to Grow saplings there, but don't know if any will.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:04:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally I'd have them leave them. What is there to taking care of a tree? It either grows or not, unless these are something special, or they don't want to pay to remove them later if they die?

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:08:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So my parents have about 5 acres around there house that the local apple orchard leased and put trees on.  The orchard has just recently decided to go out of business and are cutting down all the trees and leaving the land vacant. They have said my parents can keep whatever trees they want.  My parents can't take care of hundreds of trees so they are going to let them remove most of them.

Any Ideas on what to do with land that was rows of trees.
Only thing that I heard was try and get a landscaping business to Grow saplings there, but don't know if any will.

Leave all the trees.  Eat lots of apples.  Spend the rest of your free time shooting deer and ground hogs.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:14:10 AM EDT
[#3]

You can sell apple wood for a good price to anyone/place that smokes meats. You don't have to cut them down, just keep them trimmed. Or grow apples and sell them to a cider mill.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:16:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Some of the biggest molly moochers (morels) I ever found was under apple tress.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:22:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Keep the trees.

You can always sell the wood for good money to smoke houses.

I lost two apple trees to the drought last year.
I put the wood on craigslist and had people calling from Dallas (4 hrs away) for the little bit of wood that i had.

Quoted:

You can sell apple wood for a good price to anyone/place that smokes meats. You don't have to cut them down, just keep them trimmed. Or grow apples and sell them to a cider mill.

I see you beat me to it.

+1 to this.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:39:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Hate to see a productive orchard just taken out.  Any other orchards in the area or persons who might want to take on a lease?  There has to be some way of continuing to make some $$$ of the trees.  If they have no other use for the land, why not just leave the trees?  They will continue to produce albeit not as well as if they are pruned/sprayed.  They may be a good selling point if your parents ever decide to sell.  Even if the trees are not maintained for a while, someone in the future may be able to revitalize them.  

If you/they are in the S.E. MI area send me a pm.  I have an acquaintance whose family has been dealing with apple tree for almost 100 years.  He may be able to give some other suggestions on uses as opposed to clearing them out.

ETA:  As mentioned the wood may be worth something to someone.  Maybe just take out some trees for wood and leave some in production.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:44:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Id do a Pick Your Own deal.
profit
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:48:48 AM EDT
[#8]
That's a tough decision.  I find it hard to believe that taking care of 5 acres of trees would be easy.  I have friends with an acre of peach trees and know that they hae to keep them sprayed religously to keep the bugs from destroying them.

I say if you want to keep them, try to make a side business out of it understanding what a commitment it will be.  Otherwise, remove most of them.

ETA:  Before I just had them removed, I would check in to the market for the wood like others have said.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:05:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That's a tough decision.  I find it hard to believe that taking care of 5 acres of trees would be easy.  I have friends with an acre of peach trees and know that they hae to keep them sprayed religously to keep the bugs from destroying them.

I say if you want to keep them, try to make a side business out of it understanding what a commitment it will be.  Otherwise, remove most of them.

ETA:  Before I just had them removed, I would check in to the market for the wood like others have said.

I wouldn't let them cut a single tree. You have just been gifted a large sum of assets. They will probably need pruned once per year in the winter but that is really all you would have to do. You could sell the adult trees to homeowners for pretty good amounts I would guess. That and sell apples galore. It would be nice to find a guy to do all the work for say 50% of the apples, he cuts you a check for your share. If the trees get cut you have no asset. Don't do it.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:08:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Another keep the trees vote.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:09:35 AM EDT
[#11]
and if worst comes to worst:

FOR SALE: fully furnished apple orchard, ready to produce apples for your own profit
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:12:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Some of the best deer hunting I've ever had was on a property that bordered a long abandoned apple orchard. Walking through the apple trees, there were beds and sign EVERYWHERE.

Leave all the trees and let nature take it over.

Worst case? Someone pays you to come in and take the apple wood.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:13:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Have them leave all the trees.  Sell apples in the fall.  Get a cider press and sell "unpasteurized cider".  When the trees start to die off cut them up, dry the wood, and sell it as apple wood chunks for smoking.  

Unless you need the land available to do something else I don't see any reason to cut the trees down.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:05:03 AM EDT
[#14]
The orchard has been for sale for a year or two and they couldn't get any takers.  Our part is across the road from where the original orchard was.  

My parents can't keep them all because its too much upkeep and would have to buy alot of stuff to run some kind of apple hustle.

They are going to keep some trees.

I use alot of apple wood when I smoke food but I don't think I could keep that much wood there are hundreds of trees just on our land plus all the trees they have on their land.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:06:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Outdoor shooting range
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:10:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:17:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Christmas tree farm seems like a pretty low stress, passive way to make some cash

Speed

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:19:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd leave them as is.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:21:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Unless they need the land, there is no way I'd let them cut those trees down.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:23:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd leave them as is.

Yup, plus you would get a lot of wildlife coming to eat fallen apples. I don't see a problem with leaving them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:28:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:29:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:31:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Leave all the trees.  Eat lots of apples.  Spend the rest of your free time shooting deer and ground hogs.

This

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:32:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:32:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Christmas tree farm seems like a pretty low stress, passive way to make some cash

Speed

WRONG! There is one next to me. Labor and pesticide/fertilizer intensive. Do not do Christmas tress.
Jim

ETA: Keep the trees. remove some if you want but are getting a free orchard. No telling what that cost to get going.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:33:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Sad waste of some apple trees if they go.  I'd love the opportunity to take over such an orchard that someone paid me to set up and then left for me to have.

Are you too far away to help?
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:40:19 AM EDT
[#27]
A lot of community not for profits have work training type programs in house.
You may be able to "rent" the land to them so they can expand a program.
Lots of diffrent not for profits, so choose wisely.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:40:28 AM EDT
[#28]
keep the trees! i have a couple apple trees and wish i had more!
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:46:59 AM EDT
[#29]
I would take it as a sign I'm supposed to farm apples.........Until they nationalize it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#30]
I'd keep the trees ad let'em go to bramble before I'd cut them down
Maybe it's way more trees than I imagine but I'd like to have apples rotting on the ground more so than rows of stumps
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:00:52 AM EDT
[#31]

You gots yer apple cider, apple fritters, apple sauce, apple pie....candied apples, apple surprise....
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:06:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
http://www.speakinggump.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/ForrestListeningToBubba2.jpg

You gots yer apple cider, apple fritters, apple sauce, apple pie....candied apples, apple surprise....

Ha!

I see a nice firing lane in that one pic.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:13:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Have them take them all down except maybe an acre.  Removing trees like this are a pita!  I would leave the acre in such a way so that there can be a parking lot in front of them and a fruit stand, or pick-your-own can be set-up.  That way your parents have something to work with (if they want) and it won't kill them to take care of the trees.  Also, have them leave parts of the wood in another area of the farm and sell it alongside the fruit at the stand.

I have a buddy with about 140 acres of peach, cherry and misc other types of trees.  It is hard work and can get out of hand quickly if you are not working on it every year.

Eric  

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#35]
keep the trees

find some people that would be willing to maintain the trees for the shits and grins and all they apples they can keep

I bet you can find people interested in doing this.

I mean, there are tons of people that use "community gardens" to plant veggies and fruits in a little plot because they live in townhouse or whatever and don't otherwise have the space.

if you're out in BFE, this might not work but I bet there are still people that would love to work their green thumbs in an actual orchard

go to a farmer's market...I bet you can find people there
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:22:27 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

You can also distill apples into brandy.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:25:50 AM EDT
[#37]
They have the time and initial investment in, there is no way in hell I would let them cut one down.   Some one will surely rent those acres for more than they would without the trees. Deer like apples should be good hunting if nothing else.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Too many tree huggers here.

Cut them all down, pave the entire 5 acres and put in a Super WalMart.

Go with a Super Target.  Hotter MILFS.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:11:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Well my Mom called me a little bit ago and they have started pulling trees out at the main orchard. They are supposed to start by their house on Friday morning.  My parents are going to keep 15 trees and let the rest be pulled.  They said that they are going to burn them all after they pull them. So if you want some applewood maybe you can pick some up if your are close.  I'm going to keep some but don't have enough space to keep a ton of it and sell it.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Hell, hire a few workers to some clean and prune the trees a few times a year.

That would be enough. Keep the trees!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'd leave them as is.

+1
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Let them cut down all the trees.  Let people come in and blow up stumps for a price!

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#43]
KEEP THE TREES

or at least strategically place the trees to be left for good deer hunting and cover
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Find a share cropper.  That person would do all the work in exchange for keeping 90% of the apples they pick.  I think it is kinda silly to destroy a producing asset like that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Sorry OP.
I think you and your family really screwed the pooch on this one.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd leave them as is.

Yup, plus you would get a lot of wildlife coming to eat fallen apples. I don't see a problem with leaving them.

It takes a long time to get an orchard up and running.
I'd hate to see you throw away that resource.
The orchard may decline and stop producing but could be brought back with some effort easier than starting anew again.

I used to date a girl whose parents ran an apple orchard and it was personally bothersome to see the orchard fall into decline after they sold the property off.......
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Sorry OP.

You are getting land with a cash crop already on it.  Seems silly to me.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry OP.

We tried to tell him, but  he had his mind made up from the begining.

ETA The value of that land just went down by thousands.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry OP.

We tried to tell him, but  he had his mind made up from the begining.

ETA The value of that land just went down by thousands PER TREE.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Make hard cider..............
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top