Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2002 7:15:01 PM EDT
whats a good source for a block? does anybody cast them anymore? my dad just got a 49 ford with one in it but it is cracked
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#1]
He he he. They are ALL cracked. Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a crate motor small block Chevy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:55:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Any of the 239 inch Fords or 256 inch Mercury blocks will work.

What a boat anchor.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#4]
he wants it original so none of this smartass stuff! okay?[;D]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#5]
If its cracked in the right place have it welded.find someone who knows his stuff.Ask around town in welding shops.If they need to heat the whole block it wont be worth it.If its a cylinder wall you could have it sleveed.I had a 9N tractor with a sleeve been in there since the 50's.Car engine would be a little more rpm's but not much.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#6]
its already been sleeved so the block is an anchor weight
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
he wants it original so none of this smartass stuff! okay?
View Quote

Oh, one of [i]those[/i] guys.

Seriously, if you want to find one quick, Hemmings motor news is going to be your best bet. They have listings for almost anything. Just be prepared $$$.

I don't know if anyone is making an aftermarket flathead block or not. I'm not real up on my flatheads. A lot of the streetrod guys are using them, so you might look through the back of Streetrodder magazine or an equivalent.

The bad thing about a flathead is that they are so damn old, cores are drying up, and they are so prone to cracking, most of the ones you find are in the same condition as the one you got.

Good luck.

P.S.
Not to be a smartass, but tell your old man a 502 BB chevy crate motor will run a lot better and be cheaper than a rebuilt flathead.[:)][:)]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Hemmings Motor News.

Duh.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah,

I've heard these things are gettin real hard too find and command some serious dollars.Hemmings will surely have what you need.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Go buy a copy of Street Rodder, or Rod and Custom.

or,   www.Halibrand.com
or,   www.FlatHeadJack.com

There are enough parts out there that you could build up a new 49 Ford from all new parts.

Now if you have something like the Hudson that I want, restoring it would be a challenge.

Ben  The(HotRod Dreams)Emu
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:59:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Now if you have something like the Hudson that I want, restoring it would be a challenge.

Ben  The(HotRod Dreams)Emu
View Quote

You gonna build a hotrod Hudson Hornet??  Or a Jet?

Must be forty years ago I remember watching a blue Hornet dragrace in some class at Green Valley in Texas.  Six cylinder won its share.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You gonna build a hotrod Hudson Hornet??  Or a Jet?
View Quote

I fell in love with the lines of the '49 Super Six.  yes, its a four door, but it just looks sooo smooth.  Unfortunately, it will be a while before I can take on a big project like that.  too many guns to buy first.

Ben The_Emu
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top