Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2002 6:38:27 PM EDT
Let me start off by saying hello and my name is Christy. I'm 18 and looking to start shooting soon preferably with shotguns. Any suggestions on a first shotgun. Thanks.

Christy
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Hello, Christy

If you want to start with a shotgun, I would recommend a Remington 1100 in 20-gauge or a Remington 11-87 in 12 gauge.  They should come with a couple of extra screw-in choke tubes.

There are other good shotguns., of course, but I am recommending these because I'm a little familiar with them, and also they have another nice feature:  The semi-automatic action absorbs a bit of the recoil, making it a little more pleasant to shoot for someone just starting.

Before actually getting one, I'd suggest taking a hunter safety course.  There you can learn about the different kinds of firearms and most importantly, the safety rules.

It would also be good first to find out if there is a rod & gun club around with skeet or trap ranges.  There you could ask for some help, some instuction,  and a chance to try out some examples before you plunk down a bunch of money.

You are probably aware how loud guns can be and that they are powerful, too.  That's why you'll want to make sure you have protective glasses (just in case) and ear protection - either ear plug or ear-muff style hearing protectors.

To see about ranges, type "where to shoot" in an internet search engine (do it in quotes), and you should find a web page in the National Shooting Sports Foundation site (www.nssf.org) where you can put in your location and find out what's nearest you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh boy, you sure opened yourself up on your first post girl. I can see the responses now..
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
What size (ht/wt) are you?
How do you evaluate your upper body and hand/arm strength?

There are among the first things I check.

Frankly, I am partial to pumps.  I don't know if you want to shoot trap, or are after home/personal defence.  For the latter, I tend to think more along the lines of .410, as there is a decent variety of loadings (from birdshot all the way thru to slugs) available.  Also, for defence, I lean toward a pump gun.

For trap, I think more along the lines of a break-action, as there is less to think about.  For trap, also lean more toward 20 gage, as game loads are more common for the 20 ga vice the .410.

If you are of smaller stature, look for a "youth" model, as it is downsized and is geared toward younger shooters - and youth models fit smaller women very well in general.  Make sure you are able to handle and mount the firearm before you buy, so you can be certain of fit to you.  Make acquaintance with a good gunsmith in your area (ask around) so you can get any stock reduction done right the first time.

FFZ
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome Aboard Sailorette [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/pirate.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome aboard ,

suggestions as follows least expensive to most in 12 gauge

1. Remington 1100 or 1187

2. betetta 390

3. benelli super 90 or montrafeltro

[blue] All the manufactures above have sites on the web you may want to poke around in them to see what you like [/blue]

ffz good call on the youth models
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Anybody remember that woman out in Las Vegas who posted here about a year ago in the teddy with a gun and then went totally batty?  

Welcome to the shooting world.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Found the sigline feature on her first post.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#10]
lcl is from Steyr's board. She seems like a good kid. If I remember right, she's thinking of becomeing LEO.  Be nice for once guys!
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
lcl is from Steyr's board. She seems like a good kid. If I remember right, she's thinking of becomeing LEO.  Be nice for once guys!
View Quote

Steyr has a board?

Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#12]
[size=6] FIRST IBTL![/size=6]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Christy, I've seen you elsewhere.

The best thing for you to do is shoot a variety of shotguns and pick a style that fits you.

What part of the state are you in? I am part of a small group of males and females that meet at a range in Knoxville , maybe you could join us and get a feel for some guns.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#14]
18 years old?... Maybe in six or seven years.) [img]http://www.glocktalk.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=847169 [/img]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Welcome aboard!!!  I am not sure how familiar you are with weapons, so I will take this chance to elaborate a little on the gauges.  Basically, the bigger the number, the smaller the bore, and hence, less shot.  A 10 ga. would have the most shot, along with powder giving you more recoil.  This would be followed by 12 ga., then 16, 20, 28 and finally .410 {a caliber incidentally, not a gauge}.  The .410 has the least amount of recoil, but also has the least amount of shot, thereby demanding more accurate shot placement.  Personally, I would recommend either 20 or 12 ga. as the others shells are considerably more expensive.  Go 20 if recoil is a concern, it is a good trade off between power and manageability.  As stated before, your intended use for the gun will greatly influence your choice.  A single shot break will work for a straight trap shooter or deer hunter, but as your game or sport advances you will want a different gun.  Over Unders are nice for birds, trap and sporting clays.  Autos and pumps are great for rabbits and games such as skeet. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#16]
lcl, nice to see you over here too. You just can't seem to go anywhere without that picture following you can ya?

Welcome you will find quite a bit of info on this board.

Jake
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#17]
lcl, from what I know about your size you might want to look into a youth model 870 express 20 ga. IIRC it has a 5 shot tube, matte finsh, and a 20" bbl. Recoil wouldn't be that bad and its not really expensive, ~$250.

Jake
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Whoa!

Fellow Ar15.com members, don’t fall for this.

Not everybody is honest on the ‘net.

This poster has been trying out “her” act on every gun board around.

Pay attention!!

Mike
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 10:04:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Whoa!

Pay attention!!

Mike
View Quote

What "Act" would that be?
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whoa!

Pay attention!!

Mike
View Quote

What "Act" would that be?
View Quote

He said pay attention...note her in quotes, not act.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:42:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I want to start shooting for practice. I'm not really looking at self defense or hunting.
And unfortunately, some people choose to post my pic all over the web without my permission. nunthin i can do about that.

Christy
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
HI Christy !!!
Do you have nice Legs ?
View Quote

LOL! Gotta love his sense of humor [bounce]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top