Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2002 5:30:17 PM EDT
Just thought y'all would like to know that the documentary "Making Marines" is on tonight on the Discovery Channel.

Three hour condensed version of present day training. It's actually not too bad. This began filming prior to 9/11/01. WTC occured during filming. Interesting twist.

Discovery Channel 2000 - 2300 hrs.

Repeated at 2300 - 0200 hrs.

One of my buddies at work has a kid in USMC boot right now. He is doing very well. Physically fit and very smart. His parents are sh***ing bricks. They are both proud of him and scared to death that their boy is someday not gonna' come home.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
The little blonde girl is a cutie, even if she is a whiner. "They treat us like animals here!!"[>(] What did she expect USMC basic to be like?
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking about all the spy photos on the news today and went and looked for this..

[url=mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?mapdata=jZ2g%252b%252fXW8V%252bJbLpAUXsNd0zfEvJ4ULT1S0TZdOUnCxKsR70dOvEgnAmQREwY5dRFHgiKcLY5nu%252fl%252fUOaRXZUZW45b%252f5%252f21E2q1k3XjodyL%252f03uHB6cV7EkYZrwKH5mOSxIVx7OJ%252bJQ5N7pab09Eq5%252flyZUd%252bdu0tQOnWHMaqLPsrWCt38J%252bcxye2h93zpUFPu4xEUL%252f1phOgdoeRiDjkcvunMh6muqkHzV%252f%252f1rkGJjU8IzBDB3mohKbwFHc%252bg1oaNuM5yTS%252b5fUUbU%252fHsXumFlT47Uso4TStRirnGgmkhS7Rh9t3OzvM7YieK%252bBUfDcFGHfapJt9v2GcpdULx8E3s6bu%252bOLjU2ck%252flpqo0VJq9uk759m0GfPkdVKaGDkMs5h1mCISB3zi1q1iiWd7VtFgg%253d%253d&click=center&map.x=119&map.y=168]Click here[/url]

any one remember that little happy getaway?
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#3]
[%|]  hollywood Marines
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw part of it early tonight and enjoyed watching.

The little bleach blondie is cute, but she gets sent home after dyeing her hair brown.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 3:49:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I saw part of it early tonight and enjoyed watching.

The little bleach blondie is cute, but she gets sent home after dyeing her hair brown.
View Quote
WTF you mean they are allowed to have hair now??Must be the "new" military.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:48:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[%|]  hollywood Marines
View Quote

Yeah.....And they are being made at PISC![shiteatngrin]

D(TheSanDiegoCanIPlayWithMySurfBoardNowSergeantDude)Peacher
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 5:10:42 AM EDT
[#7]
(slight pause in topic, but I'm gonna share anyway!)

I've met many Marines, but one always stands out in my mind.  A dear lady friend of mine, whom I had worked with was a Marine.  She was pregnant and close to her due date when She was killed in a house fire about 10 years ago. (her husband lived, and very suspiciously I might add).  anyway, she was a great person with a strong(sound) personality.
Kim V.  you are missed. [:|]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 5:45:30 AM EDT
[#8]
If I remember correctly she was told to dye her hair back to its original color. She was kicked out because her piss test came up positive with marijuana. She had a party before she left for boot and got high. Never considered the consequences.  [shock]

To bad though she was starting to get her act together. [heavy]

Yes, she's a cutie. [sex]

I was a Hollywood Marine. Oh, excuse me. I am a Hollywood Marine. Summer of 1977. [marines]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw all three episodes a couple months ago, and was watching it again last evening.  It struck me about the one male recruit who said that he LOVED the AWESOME food.  I couldn't help but wonder what he was accustomed to eating back home?

From what I recall of Parris in 1972, these recruits in the documentary are simply not getting the quality and quantity of training with regard to needed profanity and scatalogical conversational skills,(one-way may they be).   My own finely-honed profanity abilities were learned at Parris.  Possibly the DIs cleaned it up for TV.

The most trouble I had as a recruit was remembering to scream responses as I am by nature soft spoken.  I was quarterdecked a couple times and did a bazillion push-ups but got with the program.  

A did notice a slight shift in attitude of our DIs and our Sr. DI towards me when we began rifle training and I consistently out-shot everyone else in the platoon.  I qualified Expert with the M14 and M16, and when the time came for firing the .45 for qualification, the Sr. DI quietly handed me a 1911A1 and said "use this one, Smith, and make sure I get it back immediately after you clean it."  I shot Expert with it.  Shortly after that, I was informed late one afternoon by the Series Commander and the Sr. DI that after Basic, I would be reassigned to Small Arms Repairman training instead of Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic training.  All of those $3.95 bricks of .22 shells that I shot up as a kid sorta paid off.  Spent the rest of the hitch in Quantico.

Noah
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I can assure you that "Making Marines" doesn't reflect the way PI really is.  That series DI's must have been given "the word" to keep it clean so that Mothers of America wouldn't get all pissy.  While I went through before the Crucible was instituted, the younger Marines that I talked to said that they have received their fair share of verbal and physical abuse.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I would be reassigned to Small Arms Repairman training [quote/]

Ahhhhh...Aberdump MD, God I hated that place.  I was fortunate enough to be stationed at both MCRD's and that Hollywood Marine crap never did fly with me.  Training the same, different terrain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top