BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2002 7:18:17 PM EDT
Your opinion here.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I like it.  But I still think in English measurements. A kilometer is about the only metric measure I can reckon in my head with any accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#3]
No real complaints here - have to deal with it everyday at work.  My only one nitpick with the metric system is that the temperature scale seems a little too compressed when it comes to  things like daily temperature ranges.  I guess the saying goes:

"When it's zero it's freezing,
when it's 10 it's not,
when it's 20 it's warm,
when it's 30 it's hot!"

I'd like a litle bit more spread there....

Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:40:50 PM EDT
[#4]
were you guys taught in school that the metric system was "it" and we better learn it cause our measurement system would be history by the time we were adults?
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Royale with cheese.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell with the metric system. I use it when necessary, but no way am I ever going to think in meters.
Is celius part of the metric system?
I can't imagine saying, Yeah, it's a hot one today, it going to hit 28.

Let the rest of the world adapt to us.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I grew up with STD, so it's what I know.

OTOH, I grew up with LAT/LON. now, I'm liking the use of UTM for use with the GPS and USGS 7.5' topo maps... very easy to find/calculate postitions.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I've gotta go with P.J. O'Rourke on this one....

Even if it hasn't accomplished anything else, at least the war on drugs has taught an entire generation the metric system.

Not an exact quote, but pretty close.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Acceptance of the metric system as the standard in the United States is just one more step towards the enslavement of the world by the United Nations, in preparation for the New World Order! Just say no to World Government!

[WHACKO]

The AR is .223, not 5.56!!!

Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I think it's ironic that Napolean devised the entire metric system as a means of confusing the enemy.  He wanted a system of measurements which would be unknown to the enemy for use by his armies.  Thus his troops could freely exchange vital information with little fear of the enemy gleaning useful information from uncoded messages.

I totally agree that the Celsius system should have established 200 deg. C as the boiling point of water, but that would have too closely matched the English standard and it's usefulness as military code would have been lost.

"On the other hand, all my oil drain plugs have been 3/8s size."  Funny, I just changed my oil and I could have sworn that I used a 5/8 wrench.  Besides, 10mm socket is nearly an exact match for a 3/8.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
They have a cure for a lot of those now...[:D]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#12]
The reason the United States is a great country is because there are 12 inches in a foot.

NMSight
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Royale with cheese.
View Quote

"... A "Royale" with cheese! What do they call a Big Mac?

... A Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it "le Big-Mac"

... "Le Big-Mac"! Ha! What do they call a Whopper?

"... I dunno, I didn't go into Burger King."
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 11:25:01 PM EDT
[#15]
If God had intended us to use the metric system,  there would have been 10 apostles not 12.[o:)]  
(the only clean joke I know)
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Frankly, I still think in Cubic INCHES!  Old hot-rodder, I guess...

There are some smal advantages to Centigrade, but I'd like to see it corrupted by making the freezing/boiling span closer to 200 units, instead of 100.  I agree with Engineer on this one - Zero is frozen water, but body temperature is only 37?  Don't quite sound right yet...

Of course, being a mechanic requires having inch AND metric tools now, but I can still spot the size of inch bolts and bolt heads far quicker than I can metric (I have to measure metric, but I can eyeball inch bolts when I hold them in my hand.)

Royale with cheese.

FFZ
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 1:59:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Being Aussie I grew up with the metric system but work with a lot of older blokes who still use feet and imperial inches. It depends on what you are used to, metric is a piece of cake to me but I have to stop and think if an old drawing comes into the workshop that's feet/ inch. As for temperature, its logic that 0 degC is freezing point, 100 degC is boiling point. You just think in smaller increments compared to farenheit.Its heaps easier and quicker to work in tens as opposed to twelves
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 2:03:59 AM EDT
[#18]
The English system breaks down when you go beyond 16th's.  It's just too much mental gymnastics, and decimals become easier.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 2:20:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
were you guys taught in school that the metric system was "it" and we better learn it cause our measurement system would be history by the time we were adults?
View Quote

Yup.

Just goes to show how full of shit teachers are.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 4:03:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Agree with the others, it easier to convert stuff in the metric system.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 4:24:52 AM EDT
[#21]
I fucking hate the metric system. I don't see WHY we should change just becuase other countries have. Fuck them. We are the richest and most powerfull country in the world. Other countries should be adapting to what WE use. When I was taugh (sp) the metric system in school they made it seem like the US was definately going to switch to it. I hope the hell we don't. I don't want to see kilometer speed limits and signs. Fuck that pussy measurement system.

Christ I don't know why the metric system pisses me off so much but it does.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 5:31:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 5:40:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Gov thug.......please tell me that this was a joke.  Otherwise you are one messed up dude.

Phil gunman......So because the USA is "ALL POWERFUL" they can do anything no matter HOW STUIPD??

The Metric system is the best way to complete ANY measurement.  ANY!

It is standardized across the board.  Even an American I assume can mulitply and divide by 10.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 5:53:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I like driving in metric...  It feels like I'm going faster than when I drive in english units.

In the Netherlands the speed limit on the highway is 120 KPH.  You count off two kilometers every minute.  It makes it encouraging to look at the mileage (kilometer) signs.  It is also handy because they mark all the exits with "EXIT XX - 1000M".  When you see that sign you know you have 30 seconds to get into the correct lane (if you are going the speed limit).

I'm an engineer also, so I end up converting on a daily basis and can function in both modes until I start talking small increments such as when I'm talking to machinists about alterations measured in thousandths.  But I haven't yet met a machinist that operates exclusively in metric.  They all take the metric drawing and convert to english.  What do they do in Canada where the change to metric was recent and they have such close ties to the U.S.?  Are their machine tools in metric or english?

Kent
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 6:06:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I too hate the metric system. Fine to use on foriegn cars and such but the "inch" is OURS. It sucks when you can buy a liter of soda but not a quart.[soapbox]
BrenLover
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 6:16:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Sorry to break it to you but every part that goes into american cars is measured in metric.  Sometimes it is apparent the designers were thinking in english, but all the prints are in metric.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 6:25:34 AM EDT
[#27]
For being all metric my current as well as my last ford had alot of inch parts.
Brenlover
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 6:30:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Ummm

The "Inch" is not yours!

You just borrowed it from England....they on the other hand had the sense to realize that it was an antiquated system and went forth into the LIGHT of the metric system.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Being a physicist, I give thanks every day for the metric system.  We use various incarnations with different base units of length, force, etc., but never english.  When you're dealing with really small stuff, it's a royal PITA to measure in units of 1/4294967296 inches.  Don't even get me started on volume...

Even on a normal scale, cm & mm are much easier to use than inches & 1/32 or 1/16, if you're willing to take all of 10 or 15 minutes familiarizing yourself with the system.

Temperature is a bit harder to get used to, but I don't think it's beyond the mental ability of anyone on this board.  I mean, c'mon, who here can really feel the difference between 83 & 84 degrees F?
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 6:43:15 AM EDT
[#30]
If you're a mechanic, you already use the metric system..A lot of fractional tools cross over, but the majority of vehicles use metric sizings..

If you want real fun, try working on any old British vehicles, using Whitworth fasteners..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Nearly all scientific measurements are based on the metric system, and it is superior/easier. Really.

Prepare 115 ml of 50 micromolar Reagent from a 1M stock solution. Easy typical problem in a chem lab. Not so simple without the metric sytem.

Another example, which any nurse or pharmacist should be able to do. Prepare 10 ml of a 10 microgram/ml solution of Drug B from a 20 mg/ml stock.

The metric system is already firmly entrenched in our society, has been for years, and does have value.

That said, outside of the lab, I still think in inches, yards, gallons, and miles.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#32]
We were supposed to be completely on the Metric System by 1984, I recall being taught in the '60s.

This must become a top priority for our government.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#33]
You all know that we use the metric system just a little each day . It amazes me that the country hasn't converted over decades ago .It is so much easier .But people are resistant to change . And I guess that's ok too . But if you study the 2 systems from maps to measuring cups , the metric system has it all over us . But I'll be happy to use what ever system THE REST OF ALL OF YOU DECIDED TO USE or we won't have a system at all !

Jeese , I didn't realise that there were so many grumpy old farts on this site ! And I am older .
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#34]
One reason we haven't converted completely is that we still have lots of perfectly good machine tools, fasteners, and manufactured stuff using the SAE system.  Metrification of machine tools would be cool - .01 mm is less than .001 inch, so measuring tools calibrated in metric units can be more precise.

But the Metric System is actually a big Communist plot.  They want us to buy Soviet and Chinese stuff.

I say we convert everything to the Whitworth system just to piss them off.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#35]
My opinion?

1 Mile=5,280 ft.  

Huh?

Seriously, I'm a traditional kind of guy and I like SAE because that's what I grew up with.  

But, metric is way easier to convert.  For scientific applications, there really is no other way.

But a few things should never change.  

I have no idea about the goofy centigrade scale.  I HATE it.  Also, I can live with meters (pretty close to yards) but have no idea what a kilometer actually [i]feels[/i] like.  Same goes for mph.  Kph?  Get real.

I think I have come to prefer the smaller metric length units.  Much easier to measure in mm and centimeters than "5 3/4".  

Metric volume still sucks.  What the hell is a litre?  I know what a gallon is though--"about a milk jug full" and everyone understands.

Also, WTF is a hectacre?  I can visualize 69.6 yardsx69.6 yards for an acre though.  

Here's where I go if I have trouble though

[url]www.admiralmetals.com/metric_conv.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hee hee.  I wasn't exposed until I joined the service.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Metric is OK, but not the "be all - end all".

Are all the fasteners in even metric thread
diameters?  Seems I've seen a number that are decimals - 5.7 mm is not an example but illustrates the concept.  I may be mistaken about that.  So do the engineers do all that in their heads?

It seems to me that the Standard system keeps you on your mental toes and mathematically astute.  I used to be able to tell you the decimal equivalent of all the Standard fractions down to the 32's. How many feet and yards in a 1/8 mi., 1/4, 1/2, and mile

And there's some cultural significance, too.  To me, an acre or a bushel brings to mind farms, etc.  Rods connect to surveying.  Imperial gallons take me to Canada.  Barrels and hogsheads, now THAT's colorful.

Sorry, but the metric system is sterile and dull. No wonder the French got going on it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My opinion?

1 Mile=5,280 ft.  
View Quote

Really?  I thought  1 Mile= 6,075ft

Oh wait, thats a Nautical Mile.  5,280ft is a statute mile.  IIRC there are other kinds of "miles" besides these.  As far as I know there is only one kind of Kilometer.

Ben, The Emu
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#39]
If I'm working on my truck and I come across a metric bolt, I just bust out the "adjustable Metric wrench."
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Stormbringer,

I thought the googly-eyed smiley would make it apparent that I was joking. I couldn't find a tin foil hat smiley.

Although, there probably were some members here reading that, taking it seriously, and AGREEING. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Phil gunman......So because the USA is "ALL POWERFUL" they can do anything no matter HOW STUIPD??
View Quote

God damn right we can.

And if we like it, it is not stupid.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I mean, c'mon, who here can really feel the difference between 83 & 84 degrees F?
View Quote

I know it when the gosh darn secretary bumps the thermostat up 'just one degree' down the hall from me.  It becomes unbearable in the entire building.  71 is ok, 72 is bad disaster for underarm deodorant...

And my '94 ford is almost COMPLETELY put together using english sized fasteners...

Link Posted: 8/9/2002 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#43]
9mm that's the only metric I know or need to know. [smoke]
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Royale with cheese.
View Quote

Ha, great movie.  I was just gonna post that but you beat me to it.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Hows the air up there Philly?
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#46]
I didn't say I couldn't WORK in metric - just that I still THINK in inches.  Going back and forth is like translating from Italian or Greek to English and back...

My engine is in inches, my tranmission in Metric, by trnafer case in inches, my front axle in metric and my rear axle in inches.  Go figure.

Yes, I have both sets of tools, and have mikes and calipers in both scales as well.  Damn, that gets tiresome when I grab the wrong set while changing projects...

FFZ
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Man, I can't wait for the US to finally drop the english system and go metric.

I grew up in the 70's, and all through my grade school we were all taught using metric. Because we were going to convert sometime soon. I remember in the 2'nd grade, the teacher standing up in front of the class reading a memo from someone saying that the english system of measurment was out, metric was in.

It was fun in school, no mention of teaspoons, tablespoon, quarts, gallons, miles, inches in our homework. All was mm, cm, liters, kilometers, etc.

Then my family moved... new school in the midwest. I swear they never heard of the metric system. I was at a complete loss trying to do homework with teaspoons to tablespoons, to quarts, etc. I would give my homework to my parents and cry. "What is this?? I was never taught this!!!" I would struggle on tests, because I didn't have any backup from my parents for assistance.

To this day, I cringe at the english system. When working on cars and bikes, I can just look at a nut or bolt and tell what socket to use, in metric. But english... forget it. Complete loss.

English tape measure???? AAaaarrrggghhh!!! Takes me forever to look at it and work out the 1/16 and 1/8'ths. I have to measure, get a pencil and start counting the tick marks. Everyone looks at me funny when I do this. They think I am a retard. Till I break out my metric tape measure... WHAM I rattle off the measurement in no time flat.

If you want an exercise in frustration, try shopping for a set of metric drill bits in the US!!! It took me a month of calling around to various shops to find a set. I finally found a set from a machine shop, where someone ordered a set and changed their mind and didn't pay for it. Whereas, if I was in any other country, I could walk into any home improvement store and pick up a set.

Although, I do have to agree on the temperature scale. I am still stuck on Fahrenheit over centigrade (damn local news).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top