Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2002 2:16:42 PM EDT
[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=keving67&album_id=85680&image_id=1&courtesy=1[/img]

I was out cutting down some trees this afternoon and this ugly ass thing started to chase me for a while.  I got him good with half a can of wasp spray and tossed him in a bag to show you guys.  I have lived here all my life and never seen anything like this.  It measures about 6" from head to the tip of its tail.  

Keving67
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 2:31:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Mosquito eater??
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Osprey, its pretty close but the one I have has one set of wings and has feelers on its head.  Its also like tiger stripped.  I doused the little bastard with wasp spray and I thought he was dead but he is moving again.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=keving67&album_id=85680&image_id=1&courtesy=1[/url]

I was out cutting down some trees this afternoon and this ugly ass thing started to chase me for a while.  I got him good with half a can of wasp spray and tossed him in a bag to show you guys.  I have lived here all my life and never seen anything like this.  It measures about 6" from head to the tip of its tail.  

Keving67
View Quote

5 words.

"West-nile Oscilating Mutant Evil Nanothingy"

Or Women. [):)]  I have one that has drained most of my time and energy for along time.  Handle with care.

My vote it for mayfly but it could be a mosquito hawk.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#6]
It looks like a mosquito hawk to me.

PONY_DRIVER
------------------------------------------------
In order to be a liberal Democrat,

1. You have to believe the AIDS virus is spread by a lack of federal funding.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mosquito Eater is what we call them here.

Totally harmless, just annoying cuz they're so friggin big.
View Quote

Then this isn't one.  It bit me, not stung, but bit.  Drew blood.

Keving67
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#9]
West Nile.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#10]
This is easy. The picture(what i can see of it) looks to be a parasitic wasp. The long thing that looks like a giant stinger is an ovipositor(which is what the stinger on a regular wasp is, in a modified form). these animals use the long ovipositor to bore down into trees to lay their eggs on the larvae of beetles that are parasites on trees. Believe it or not, that long "stinger" can bore through wood! That long "stinger" can also get you if you're not careful with them--beware. If you have a real interest, i can probably get you the binomial nominclature(scientific name) for this thing if you can get a little clearer picture.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mosquito Eater is what we call them here.

Totally harmless, just annoying cuz they're so friggin big.
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#12]
if thats a mos. hawk dont kill it they eat mos. larvae i also heard on paul harvey (i think it was harvey) that the government gave a big grant to a college that was studying these things and they were trying to breed a more aggressive one to eat adult mosquitoes
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is easy. The picture(what i can see of it) looks to be a parasitic wasp. The long thing that looks like a giant stinger is an ovipositor(which is what the stinger on a regular wasp is, in a modified form). these animals use the long ovipositor to bore down into trees to lay their eggs on the larvae of beetles that are parasites on trees. Believe it or not, that long "stinger" can bore through wood! That long "stinger" can also get you if you're not careful with them--beware. If you have a real interest, i can probably get you the binomial nominclature(scientific name) for this thing if you can get a little clearer picture.
View Quote

I would appreciate it.  I will try my hardest tommorrow mornign to get a decent shot of it.  That would sure explain all the holes in the trees.  tiny little ones

Keving67
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like a big red "X" to me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
if thats a mos. hawk dont kill it they eat mos. larvae i also heard on paul harvey (i think it was harvey) that the government gave a big grant to a college that was studying these things and they were trying to breed a more aggressive one to eat adult mosquitoes
View Quote

Well, the little bastard tried to eat me.  Looks like they may have made him a tad bit too aggressive.  He's still alive if he is a mosquito eater, he's going home to the yard tommorrow

Keving67
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#16]
As awful as these things are they do have an upside. The holes you see are probably damage from the beetles not the wasps. The wasp larvae feed on on the beetle larvae. This is how beetles are kept somewhat in check.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top