Posted: 8/7/2002 4:53:00 PM EDT
[url]http://www.newsmax.com/showinsidecover.shtml?a=2002/8/6/141920[/url]

interesting

i wonder where famine is?
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Tuesday, Aug. 6, 2002 3:21 p.m. EDT
West Nile Virus: The First Bioweapon

Back in June of 2000, pundit John LeBoutillier first raised concerns on NewsMax that the West Nile virus may have been the first bioweapon used by Iraq against the U.S.

LeBoutillier wrote: "Never before had this Middle Eastern virus been seen in the United States. Then it suddenly is found in people and in birds in the borough of Queens and then in other areas around New York City. Several elderly people died from West Nile; many others were severely ill and hospitalized because of this mysterious disease.

"Again the media and the Congress were - and remain - lax in linking up two related facts. U.N. weapons inspector Scott Ritter has revealed that Saddam Hussein's Iraqi scientists were working on West Nile virus!

"Why were Ritter and the United Nations inspecting Iraq at all? Because of evidence that Saddam was developing weapons of mass destruction and biological agents, as well. Thus the United Nations kept severe sanctions on Iraq until Saddam was proven to be in compliance with U.N. mandates on his government. ...

"Do you believe it is a "coincidence" that this virus suddenly then appeared directly across the East River from U.N. headquarters?"

With the announcement that four people in Louisiana have died as a result of the disease, it is becoming clear that West Nile may be a plague upon America for years to come.

West Nile virus, the mosquito-borne disease once completely foreign to the Western Hemisphere, has now spread from New York to Florida, Louisiana and Wisconsin.

The pathogen was first discovered in the United States in 1999 when it appeared in New York's Long Island City, the Queens community LeBoutillier notes is just across New York's East River from the United Nations.

It killed seven people and caused serious illness in 62 others in New York and New Jersey.

Though the disease has all but disappeared from media scopes since the anthrax scare, it has not gone away, and its possible terrorist origins have never been definitively ruled out.

And why has the disease broken out in the United States, Israel and Saudi Arabia - all primary targets for Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein since the end of the Gulf War?

Experts agree that Saddam's bioweapons people might be brewing up God knows what in a French-built virology facility near Baghdad that has been closed to United Nations inspectors since Saddam threw them out years ago.

The facility, called the Foot and Mouth Vaccine Plant, was used for making botulinum toxin, or BTX - one of the most lethal biotoxins known.

In 1992, the United Nations tore down the buildings in which the BTX was made and destroyed equipment, but left standing the bulk of the facility, part of which was used for virus research. (In 1985 the CDC sent samples of West Nile virus to a researcher in Iraq, stirring controversy in the media five years later, on the eve of the Gulf War, when reports came out that Iraq had a significant biowarfare program.)

All but missing in action on the front lines of the anthrax attacks, controversial former U.S. Surgeon General David Satcher told the Jerusalem Post last year that the genetic strain of the West Nile virus found in Israel is the same as the one found in New York.

And, of course, there remains the sinister shadow of "In the Shadow of Saddam," the infamous book by Saddam's reputed former bodyguard and look-alike, Mikhael Ramadan. Published by a small press in the United Kingdom in 1999, the author's sensational allegations about Saddam's plans to wreak bioterror on the U.S. were featured that same year in the New Yorker magazine's "West Nile Mystery" by Richard Preston.

Preston quoted from the Ramadan account:

"In 1997, on almost the last occasion we met, Saddam summoned me to his study. Seldom had I seen him so elated. Unlocking the top right-hand drawer of his desk, he produced a bulky, leather-bound dossier and read extracts from it. ... The dossier holds details of his ultimate weapon, developed in secret laboratories outside Iraq. ... Free of U.N. inspection, the laboratories would develop the SV1417 strain of the West Nile virus - capable of destroying 97 pc [percent] of all life in an urban environment. ... He said SV1417 was to be "operationally tested" on a Third World population centre. ..." The target had been selected, Saddam said, "but that is not for your innocent ears."

Author Preston questioned: "Why would a man presenting himself as an Iraqi defector predict that Saddam would unleash a virus just months before the same one broke out unexpectedly in New York? And, of all the thousands of viruses in the world, why West Nile?"

Adding another twist to the bizarre story, it turns out that, said Preston, "the fatality rate for West Nile is not remotely near 97 percent, and "SV1417" is not a standard designation for any known strain of West Nile virus."

At the same time that Ramadan was being discussed in the CIA, Dr. Ken Alibek, a defector and the former deputy chief of research for Biopreparat, the Soviet Union's main biowarfare program, spoke to lawmakers on Capitol Hill, voicing his concern that the West Nile outbreak was "suspicious."

In his article, Preston reported a conversation with an anonymous FBI agent, who told him that West Nile might be a good choice for a terrorist. He said: "If I was planning a bioterror event, I'd do things with subtle finesse, to make it look like a natural outbreak. That would delay the response and lock up the decision-making process."

An Army expert interviewed by Preston in the article told him that the military knew that Soviet biologists working for the Soviet Union's biowarfare program had evaluated the West Nile virus for use as a biological weapon.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/7/2002 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Isn't it strange how this this bug just "appeared" out of nowhere 3 years ago?

Things that make you go hmmmmm......and gas mask shopping.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#3]
This was/has been/will continue to be on people's minds...it's a logical avenue of inquiry.

While not saying that I'm 100 percent right, I find it hard to believe that it's a bioweapon. The consequences would be so horrifically high if it ever got out for Iraq or whoever was behind it. If you're going to try to do this, do it with something that is going to sting. This kills the very old, the very young, and the very weak. It only spreads during warm months. It is not person-to-person communicable. A horrible bioweap, given the choices out there.

A trial balloon? Again, very very dangerous for whoever was sending it up. If it got out, game over.

I think it's more likely that some folks from another country immigrated here, were infected, got bitten by our nice, local mosquitos, and off it went. I think it is even MORE likely that some sort of livestock (chickens, whatever) brought it over, simply because shit spreads like wildfire among domestic animals, and for it to break out this bad it had to be more than a few guys who came over with a badass head cold.

Vass
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#4]
"The virus was first found in an adult woman in the West Nile District of Uganda in 1937. It is now commonly detected in humans, birds and other vertebrates in Africa, Eastern Europe, West Asia and the Middle East."

from: [url]http://www.avma.org/press/piwestnilevirus01.asp[/url]

if wnv is a bio-weapon...it dates to the time of phosgene gas...a much more effective agent of death.

me thinks my tinfoil hat needs needs another layer.now...is it shiney side in, or out???

Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh shit! I just realized I'm out of Reynold's Wrap!
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"The virus was first found in an adult woman in the West Nile District of Uganda in 1937. It is now commonly detected in humans, birds and other vertebrates in Africa, Eastern Europe, West Asia and the Middle East."

if wnv is a bio-weapon...it dates to the time of phosgene gas...a much more effective agent of death.

me thinks my tinfoil hat needs needs another layer.now...is it shiney side in, or out???

View Quote

Heh, couldnt have said it any better
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll bet those skeeters are responsible for the
whole crop circle thing too.

More people will die this year from complications brought on by the common cold than from WNV. Actually, I just made that up,
but I'll bet you two ufo's and a yetti it's a fact.[;D]

G1X
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Those crop circles are Texas Skeeter nests.

Everything is bigger in Texas.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#10]
[shock] Damn, a skeeter just flew by wearing a little turban!!! [shock]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#11]
West Nile Virus a Bilogical Weapon? I seriously doubt it.

For one thing, I don't see the bastards being smart enough to do that.

Secondly, they would be announcing their responsibility for it and claiming more is to come.

Just my thoughts.

Ow!!! I was bit by a mosquito and it gave me a bad virus, Im a TERRORISTS VICTIM and I'm entitled to $3,000,000...
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Wasn't there a rumor a little while back that this was started by iraq?  

Keving67
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I guess I'm on the front lines of the fight against terrorism. My `skeeter zapper kills them by the hundreds....

Yes, it's a pre-ban!

Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pretty poor choice for a bio weapon if it is. It only kills those with poor health and is hard to transmit.
View Quote

Exactly. Something spread along the lines of the common cold or influenza is much more dangerous.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Secondly, they would be announcing their responsibility for it and claiming more is to come.

Just my thoughts.

Ow!!! I was bit by a mosquito and it gave me a bad virus, Im a TERRORISTS VICTIM and I'm entitled to $3,000,000...
View Quote

I'm curious what your comments might have been  after the first WTC attack?
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I doubt that WNV is I bio weapon, and if it is it's a poor choice, but when it was discovered has nothing to do with it's use. Smallpox and anthrax have been around a lot longer and can be very effective bio weapons.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#17]
The interesting coincidences abound...  I read on a couple of news sources that the genetic code if the virus here is identical to the ones in Saudi Arabia and Israel.  Things that make you go hmmmm.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Oh shit! I just realized I'm out of Reynold's Wrap!
View Quote

beat me too it.

only tin foil can stop west nile
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#19]

actually in 2000, i attended a FBI/Oklahoma State Health Department training seminar for terrorism (bio-chem-nuke) for medical teams.

in 2001, i attended a Bio-terrorism seminar put on by very HIGH ranking individuals both current and formerly posted at Ft Detrick.

in every one of these, it was brought to light that west nile COULD very well be a biological attack that was most likely a test for other pathogens, in their opinion.

nothing in proof, other than the realization that it would be capable of being manipulated and the fact it had never really been inside the U.S. before affecting humans.

a curious thing though...

at one seminar..

the presenter, said..our bio terrorism crews should pay close attention to our livestock.( cattle, horses.etc..)

the reason being we sustain ourselved agriculturally..and if some one wanted to shove something in the backdoor...

this would be the perfect opportunity.

PS..

the W.N.V. is very virulent to horses..and a vaccine is in place but very $$...

the Pros who have been giving these seminars have been dead serious about the accusations and possiblities of the W.N.V.

save the tin foil for the ham sandwiches for this one...

they will test their bugs on us before they hit us...

its only a matter of time..

be safe...

M-dog
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my thoughts.

View Quote

View Quote

They were a little more subdued. This is tongue-in-cheek for the families of the WNV deaths (not that death is funny) who will probably try to get ahold of some money for being a terrorist victim.

BTW...As far as giving pantloads of money to REAL victims of terrorism, its obscene at how much free (govrnment) cash they were given...It averages to about $1,750,000 per victim.

Hopefully it won't happen again, but what happens when the next true act of terrorism happens and takes out 20,000? Do we give them more money?

I think about $400,000 per victim is almost too much.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 1:13:54 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't buy the bio-weapon story.  Why go to the expense and effort of development.  Small pox and anthrax are so much cheaper, all ready developed, spread faster, and are more deadly to humans. So what if it popped up all of a sudden, so did Ebola.  No telling what kind of stuff is sitting out in nature that we have not seen yet.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:14:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Article in the Atlanta Journal- Constitution within the past couple of days mentioned that the two areas first hit by the virus, in New York and Washington, both have research facilities that were working on the virus, and had live mosquitos infected with it, on site. Have no idea how accurate the report was, but it does seem to make more sense that somebody at a lab screwed up then that Saddam sent it over.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:26:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Pretty poor choice for a bio weapon if it is. It only kills those with poor health and is hard to transmit.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:57:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my thoughts.

View Quote

View Quote

They were a little more subdued. This is tongue-in-cheek for the families of the WNV deaths (not that death is funny) who will probably try to get ahold of some money for being a terrorist victim.

BTW...As far as giving pantloads of money to REAL victims of terrorism, its obscene at how much free (govrnment) cash they were given...It averages to about $1,750,000 per victim.

Hopefully it won't happen again, but what happens when the next true act of terrorism happens and takes out 20,000? Do we give them more money?

I think about $400,000 per victim is almost too much.
View Quote

Alright. It didn't look like you were doing much dot-connecting there. The CDC website itself says the WNV strain was middle-eastern and it first showed up across in NY area (where UN is located). I think it is unreasonable to NOT conclude it is a minor bioweapon release/experiment.

And just to rant for a moment, I think the bastards have shown they are that smart, that crazy, that motivated, and that capable.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#27]
CampyBob already posted correct info on this it is not a bio-weapon.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#28]
If this was brought over by a tourist, why didn't it happen years ago? Right before y2k it shows itself in NY. Why is it cropping up so quickly now? A terrorist group in our country could be spreading it by planting the infected dead birds in places of high mosquito population.

Terrorism is a many faceted weapon. It's goal is not always just to kill. Sometimes its goal is to wittle away at the public slowly in a protracted fashion. Just because WNV only seems to kill the young/old/weak doesn't mean its not a good bioweapon, the point is that its killing people. I don't think it would have taken much for a terrorist group to deploy and it's just another log on the fire that will soon be raging in the US.

Save your money on tin foil and buy Deet, it may not be terrorism, but this time next year we could have a serious epidemic at the rate it is currently spreading.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#29]
This is classic misdirection. The US developed West Nile, as well as AIDS, Ebola, Pnemonia, you name it. Name any "disease/virus" and the good folks at Fort Detrick/USAMRID/Joseph Gallo and his Special Virus research are behind it.

This is classic for the would be controllers, though. They develop these abominations, then they hype several bad-guys (Iraq/Osama/North Korea, etc.) to blame when they release/test them on the unsuspecting public.

This is how they work--they blow up buildings and blame it on militants (WTC1/OKC/WTC2). They develop these despicable biological warfare agents and blame it on the "Muslims/Koreans/Iraqis, etc). Then they can swoop in on the heels of these planned disasters and reap the benefits (obliteration of the Constitution/BOR/Posse Comitatus).

Buckle up folks, these are the end times, and we are fast approaching the home stretch.

"All your freedoms are belong to us."
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This is classic misdirection. The US developed West Nile, as well as AIDS, Ebola, Pnemonia, you name it. Name any "disease/virus" and the good folks at Fort Detrick/USAMRID/Joseph Gallo and his Special Virus research are behind it.

This is classic for the would be controllers, though. They develop these abominations, then they hype several bad-guys (Iraq/Osama/North Korea, etc.) to blame when they release/test them on the unsuspecting public.

This is how they work--they blow up buildings and blame it on militants (WTC1/OKC/WTC2). They develop these despicable biological warfare agents and blame it on the "Muslims/Koreans/Iraqis, etc). Then they can swoop in on the heels of these planned disasters and reap the benefits (obliteration of the Constitution/BOR/Posse Comitatus).

Buckle up folks, these are the end times, and we are fast approaching the home stretch.

"All your freedoms are belong to us."
View Quote

Oh no, DJBump is off his meds again. Poor DJBump. [whacko]
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Interesting but hardly parctical unless this is a test to check epidemic patterns when a more virulent strain is released. Using the bird resovior and the mosquito vehicle to the human host. I seriously doubt it, seems to Tom Clancy.  Most Moslem nations are backwards illeterate mud hut hand to mouth feudal societies. It would not take much to realy obliterate the enemy if we were serious about it. Infect them with  the gospel of Jesus Christ. Of course we couldn't just drop arabic bibles , since most foreign moslems can read. A little missionary work as a condition of feedin their sorry asses............Lebrew
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Oh no, DJBump is off his meds again. Poor DJBump. [whacko]
View Quote

shooter69--

I realize that in pooh-poohing everything that you haven't heard on CNN and MSNBC leaves you little time to do things like read, so I'll help you out. Check out Emerging Viruses--

[url]http://www.tetrahedron.org/[/url]

Dr. Horowitz is only one of the voices out there brave enough to say it, and the documentation is out there as well. You could always do the digging to find this out, but c'mon, you and I both know that won't happen. Such is the world.

"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish."--Euripides
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I realize that in pooh-poohing everything that you haven't heard on CNN and MSNBC leaves you little time to do things like read, so I'll help you out.

"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish."--Euripides
View Quote

IIRC my ancient greek quoting friend, you were the guy who postulated after 9-11 that the war in Afghanistan was over securing a pipeline for the oil in the former soviet asian republics, which was to be pumped down to the gulf and eventually transported to places like China.

You were quoting famous thinkers of the past then too. Seek help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top