Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2002 9:52:17 PM EDT
My best friend got a call yesterday from st.louis the main military personel station. the guy told him to go get a physical. he didnt and the guy called him back today and told him he was still in the army and he could have charges filed against him if he didnt. the conversation was much longer than that but this is the gist of it he said the guy was a real ass and would not tell him anything. he got out in 98 and has another year on inactive reserve. does anyone know if this is normal or does it look like a call up? he was a 11c which isnt a realy special mos so i wouldnt think they would be calling him up.i've never heard of them calling anyone wanting them to go get a physical.

thanks for any help
tnrifleman.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I would insist on official written orders.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a callup - I've been inactive and didn't have to take a physical for it.

If he's being recalled, there MUST be written orders somewhere.  Get them.  A callup will uproot his civ life, and there must be paper to do that (except in times of domestic need - troops fending off an invasion on OUR shores!)

More information should be somewhere (I don't recall where at the moment...) in 10USC.

FFZ
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replys guys. im going to tell him ask for some offical orders. But im afraid its looking like a call up.

thanks again tnrifleman.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 12:22:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Thinking back, there were a couple times I did get called up from inactive status...

Both times, they sent a captain and a couple BIG NCOs, with paperwork, to pick me up in corpus.  No phone calls - these dudes just showed up.

Pulled me out of a class once and out of the sack the other time.  Problem was - I WASN'T SLEEPING at the time...  Damn, but I was pissed.  Only had five minutes to get dressed...

FFZ
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 5:49:29 AM EDT
[#5]
There is a requirement to have a physical while on Inactive Reserve.  I think it is once every 2-3 years.  The only penalty, as I remember was being separated from service unwillingly.  I had no commitment remaining when I went inactive so my situation could be different than you buddies.

Regardless of remaining commitment, your friend should get written orders for one day ADT to travel to the nearest military medical facility to get the physical.  I seem to remember they included a form had a block you could check if you were outside your commitment, and wanted to be discharged.

I got orders to get a physical twice while on inactive reserve and never went mdue to real life work commitments.  After the 3rd time, I checked the block requesting discharge and some months later got the certificate for an honorable discharge.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:00:38 AM EDT
[#6]
There is no inactive callup.  Whether your buddy gets a physical is  simply dependant on the date of his last physical, and his age.  Even the active reserve callups have tapered off. They're sending reserve units home at this point.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#7]
When I was still in the IRR I received orders to proceed to the MEPS station and present myself for my Quadrennial (sp?) physical.  I was never activated.

I think that the IRR is mandated to maintain active and accurate 201 files at all times in the event of a call-up.

Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the help, i had never heard of them calling anyone after you were out like that. Im glad its no big deal. I figured you guys would know what was going on.

thanks
tnrifleman.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i used to get letters telling me the same thing. Report to such and such for a physical. I trashed them all. Never went never got anything more than a letter. I figured when they wanted to pay me to take off work and go i would do it. Otherwise they could kiss my ass. Never got more than a letter requesting i show up. No orders, no phone calls.

mike
View Quote

You sound like a true American patriot.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I did my time for uncle sugar. If they want me back they will have to clear the welfare rolls and people that haven't served yet first. When our government pardoned the draft doggers that went to Canada in the 60s and 70s, they lost their chance at getting me back. If a foreign or domestic threat is present I'll serve but I aint going nowhere otherwise. Patriot? Never bet against my patriotism. You will lose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top