Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2002 11:16:58 AM EDT
[url]http://dailynews.attbi.com/cgi-bin/news?e=pri&dt=020805&cat=news&st=newsgunsdc[/url]

How could they keep track of ours when they can't even keep track of their own?  BTW, how many do they actually [b]have[/b] if they lost 775 of them?

Oops, found it:
The FBI and the INS have a total of
about 100,000 weapons, the report found.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I need to start following some of these types around.  

mmmm...free MP-5

Link Posted: 8/5/2002 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Just a note: a lot of those weapons were kept by retired agents, or the families of dead agents, it is a bennie thing as far as I am concerned, they served and they are owed it. F*** the gov. and there dumbsh** accountants.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
damn, if they lost that many you'd think i could have found 1 or 2.

mike
View Quote

Funny, that's exactly what I was thinking!
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just a note: a lot of those weapons were kept by retired agents, or the families of dead agents, it is a bennie thing as far as I am concerned, they served and they are owed it. F*** the gov. and there dumbsh** accountants.
View Quote

I served.  15 years, 4 months, 1 day.  Where is my bennie weapon?
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#7]
The FBI could not account for 225 weapons, for at least a two-year period. Consider that they have about 10,000 agents, and this figure may also includes weapons missing from years past. 225 is still an excessive number, but it isn't grossly so. My experience is that any LE agency will have a about a .5% loss or theft rate per year on agency-owned weapons. A lot of that is just the normal "background hum" of crime that impacts everyone. You shouldn't leave your issued MP-5/10 in the trunk of your issued car, but you may lose a duty gun to burglars (which is I locked all my guns in the Evidence vault at work last time I went on vacation, but I digress).

Missing 225 firearms is a lot, but having done a firearms audit on an LE agency that spanned over a decade, I know that there is usually a lot more than meets the eye when it comes to "missing" weapons. Many, if not most, of the weapons that were "missing" had most likely been destroyed, but I had no affirmative records trails to prove it, so they had to go down as not accounted for. Several months after I finished my audit, I found several missing (and since reported stolen) weapons in a solvent tank in my own office. The tank was in a corner and appeared to be part of the A/C unit for the building (I have a really, really crappy "office"). I was moving boxes of crap that were being stored in my office one day (did I mention that I have a really, really crappy office?) and the lid fell off this parts washer, and I could just barely make out the outline of several old wheelguns through the muck and congealed grease. Bang, just like that I cleared up a major part of the mystery surrounding where the heck all of these weapons went. My bet is that about half of the "missing" weapons are in a chest on a range or sitting in the bottom of someone's file cabinet, forgotten. That's how it was around here, at least.

BTW, we have a lot tighter inventory controls, now.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I served.  15 years, 4 months, 1 day.  Where is my bennie weapon?
View Quote

Your's was the cased MP5 that fell of the car trunk that osprey21 was telling us about.

Heck, I would've made sure I turned in a dirty...okay, very dirty MP5 if I'd have found it. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#9]
No JonnieGTyler, it was not my MP5.  I did the USMC thing and got my fill of Uncle Sam......For the time being anyways.  Sure would have been nice to receive the following letter from from the CMC.

On behalf of the President of the United States of America, it is my honor and privledge to present to Staff Sergeant David Peacher, USMC 6354/6494, service rifle M16A2 serial number 6044320 as a modest token of appreaciation for his loyal and honorable service in the Armed Forces of the United States of America.

C.G.Krulak
Commandant, United States Marine Corps
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Excuse me?? They are "owed" it?? Weren't they drawing a pay check? Medical and retirement benefits? Job security, (when was the last time you heard of a fed getting "laid off?). We the tax payer BOUGHT those weapons. If they are sittin' in some retired agents home, it's called theft, and failure to pay the transfer tax. Probably good for some time at "club fed" for you and me if we did it.....
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#11]
bountyhunter, it was a job, they drew the check.  They were not 'owed' anything beyond what they were supposed to get.  If the gov't wants to give badges and weapons to you for your service, fine, but it should be handled legally and according to the same rules as civilians.  There should not be a special class of citizen.

DPeacher - I think that the gov't giving you your weapons when you leave, if you want them,  is also a good idea, subject to same as above.

It is also my belief that too many bureaucrats are armed at the public's expense.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Heck,
the cook county Seriffs around here have M14's, with the selector blocked off. One came into the shop I go too.  Put it in the back of the trunk of his unmarked........

Takes the car home with him...........
Sits in the driveway...........

If you really want a weapon, you just must have the stones to pull something like that off.

c-rock
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#13]
You're right DPreacher. A letter and gift like that would be better than an MP5. Thanks for your service.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top