Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2012 5:13:30 PM EDT
Anyone own a youth bow for a child around 10 years old?

I went and looked at a few at pawn shops, and they were really heavy pulls.

Like in the 40 or 50 range.

I'm pretty sure my boy can't pull that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Mathews, Bowtech, Bear and Hoyt all make youth bows.

I would go with Bowtech and Bear for the 10 year old models.  They are more the early youth models.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Genesis bows would be perfect

This also
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This also

Not sure if it will match your price range, though. But the things are great with growing kids.

Or you could do it right and get him a longbow :)
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This also

Not sure if it will match your price range, though. But the things are great with growing kids.

Or you could do it right and get him a longbow :)

The problem is that he is 10, if it was young teens the major bow manufacturers have top quality bows designed around 20-40 pound draws and draw length.  For the 10 year old's I do not see them physically pulling back a 20 pound draw.  So I would go with the Genesis model.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Man, I've got a really old youth model Bear compound bow around here somewhere.  It was given to me back when I was around 9ish-10ish by a retired game warden friend of the family.  It needs a new sight and arrow knock and I still have a few short arrows that may fit.  If I can dig it out from under whatever pile of stuff I have it under you are welcome to it.  You want it?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#7]
big +1 to OP getting his child into archery.  A very good sport
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#8]

This, because you or the wife can use it also. I've even seen a lot of guys use them for bow fishing
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Our conservation club has a youth bow shooting session after the new years, and the most common bow they furnish is the Genesis. It should be just about perfect for a 10 year old.
My kids have been doing it 3 years now.

My 14yo daughter however, doesn't like the genesis bows anymore, and the few non-genesis bows are about the same size, so I guess I'll have to take her bow shopping to see what fits her, what she can pull, draw length, etc.

IIRC, The Genesis bows, even the packages, do no include sights or arrow rests.

If you have a archery shop somewhere in your area, check it out.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Man, I've got a really old youth model Bear compound bow around here somewhere.  It was given to me back when I was around 9ish-10ish by a retired game warden friend of the family.  It needs a new sight and arrow knock and I still have a few short arrows that may fit.  If I can dig it out from under whatever pile of stuff I have it under you are welcome to it.  You want it?

Sure man! I don't mind paying for it.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

He actually won an archery contest at camp this summer, and so he has a knack for it apparently.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

He actually won an archery contest at camp this summer, and so he has a knack for it apparently.

That is awesome.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a Hoyt.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool Story:  I remember not so long ago, they used to have archery contests at Dollywood. (It's like Six Flags, or a hillbilly Disney World).  They actually had a few booths set up where you could fling arrows at a hay stack.  They also had axe-throwing too.    They replaced it with a resturant where a lady likes to dance with a chicken on her head.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool Story:  I remember not so long ago, they used to have archery contests at Dollywood. (It's like Six Flags, or a hillbilly Disney World).  They actually had a few booths set up where you could fling arrows at a hay stack.  They also had axe-throwing too.    They replaced it with a resturant where a lady likes to dance with a chicken on her head.

Pussification of America...

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I had a Hoyt.

$$$$$$$

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Look at diamond bows if its his first. Can be had for a low price and made by bowtech. My wife shoots the razor edge i think they make a boys version
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Than he can upgrade to a bowtech assasin witch also comes as a R.A.K model that is alittle nicer and one of the best entrybows for the price
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Do you think he will want to hunt with it?

Some states have minimum draw weights allowable for hunting.

Texas used to be 45 pounds.  Though I think that requirement has since been lowered or removed.

Also - drawing a compound bow used muscles differently than normal.  I wouldn't be surprised if he can't draw a 30 lb bow, but is up to 40 pounds after a surprisingly short time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Do you think he will want to hunt with it?

Some states have minimum draw weights allowable for hunting.
Texas used to be 45 pounds.  Though I think that requirement has since been lowered or removed.
Also - drawing a compound bow used muscles differently than normal.  I wouldn't be surprised if he can't draw a 30 lb bow, but is up to 40 pounds after a surprisingly short time.

He will most certainly want to hunt eventually. The bows I'm looking at now are adjustable between 15 and 25 lbs.

I don't think anything in that range is suitable for hunting, so I would expect that I have to buy him a larger bow before I take him hunting.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I just bought my son a Mission Craze. 15-70lbs draw weight and 19-30" draw length. Most adjustment of any bow I have seen, and a smooth shooter. It will still work for him even when he is an adult.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Look at diamond bows if its his first. Can be had for a low price and made by bowtech. My wife shoots the razor edge i think they make a boys version

I will check it out!

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#23]
FWIW - I have a Diamond Rock 2.0 and really like it.

It's not the "best" or "newest" bow out there, but it works and works well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top