Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2012 5:46:06 AM EDT
...and the police chief puts the officer on leave, apologizes to the family, and offers to pay for damages.  
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55032396-78/burbank-police-search-lake.html.csp

Narcotics detectives in Salt Lake City
on Wednesday used a battering ram to knock down a door and execute a
search warrant on the wrong house, frightening the home’s 76-year-old
resident.

"This was a mistake," Police Chief Chris Burbank said Friday. "It should not have happened."

The woman living at the home near 200 E. Hubbard Ave. (935 South) was
not injured, though a police officer pointed a gun at her as officers
entered the home. Burbank said he has placed one officer on
administrative leave while the police department investigates how the
mistake was made.

I know that neighborhood, and I'm not surprised.  Overall SLCPD is a good agency, so I'm not surprised about the apology, either.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:53:42 AM EDT
[#1]
If more departments admitted their mistakes and took corrective action like SLCs we would have fewer locked threads in GD.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:55:23 AM EDT
[#2]
$5 says they were supposed to hit 936
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:56:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If more departments admitted their mistakes and took corrective action like SLCs we would have fewer locked threads in GD.

I agree with them taking corrective measures.  Good on them to step it up.

But less locked threads in GD.........doubt it.  Posters will be along soon saying how these cops should all recieve the death sentence.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

935 S. is the street coordinate.  They didn't give the exact address.

I drive through that neighborhood regularly.  It's made up of row houses from 90-100 years ago that are starting to get trashy and run down.  In the dark it's not surprising someone would get the wrong location.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:05:32 AM EDT
[#5]
See now this is the way its supposed to be handled, take ownenace for your cock ups.  Now realistically could it have been prevented with a drive through from each direction by UC's to confirm exact house location from either of the nearest cross streets sure, but they are making the best of a bad situation.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:23:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

935 S. is the street coordinate.  They didn't give the exact address.

I drive through that neighborhood regularly.  It's made up of row houses from 90-100 years ago that are starting to get trashy and run down.  In the dark it's not surprising someone would get the wrong location.

Ahhh.....I see.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:28:14 AM EDT
[#7]
..Oopsie.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Burbank said his department was taking responsibility for the error.

This, my GD friends, is most definitely an isolated incident.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:50:15 AM EDT
[#10]
hut hut hut hut hut hut hut hut hut hut
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with them taking corrective measures.  Good on them to step it up.

But less locked threads in GD.........doubt it.  Posters will be along soon saying how these cops should all recieve the death sentence.

Go ahead and show me any post where someone has made a case for such action when nobody was hurt.

Now that being said somebody needs to be accountable for mistakes, and it looks like the chief agrees.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Somebody fumbled the ball...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top