Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/26/2012 3:22:23 PM EDT
A Cambridge professor has tackled the issue of spontaneous combustion – using belly pork.

Prof Brian J Ford is a research biologist and author of more than 30 books, most about cell biology and microscopy but he has turned his attention to the mechanisms behind why people ‘explode’.

He said in an article in New Scientist: “One minute they may be relaxing in a chair, the next they erupt into a fireball.

“Jets of blue fire shoot from their bodies like flames from a blowtorch, and within half an hour they are reduced to a pile of ash.
The body creates acetone, which is highly flammable.

He added: “A range of conditions can produce ketosis, in which acetone is formed, including alcoholism, fat-free dieting, diabetes and even teething.

“So we marinated pork tissue in acetone, rather than ethanol.

“This was used to make scale models of humans, which we clothed and set alight.

“They burned to ash within half an hour.

“For the first time a feasible cause of human combustion has been experimentally demonstrated.”

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21528786.500-big-burn-theory-why-humans-spontaneously-combust.html

http://www.missfidget.com/?p=9548
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

A Cambridge professor has tackled the issue of spontaneous combustion – using belly pork.

Prof Brian J Ford is a research biologist and author of more than 30 books, most about cell biology and microscopy but he has turned his attention to the mechanisms behind why people ‘explode’.

He said in an article in New Scientist: "One minute they may be relaxing in a chair, the next they erupt into a fireball.

"Jets of blue fire shoot from their bodies like flames from a blowtorch, and within half an hour they are reduced to a pile of ash.

He added: "A range of conditions can produce ketosis, in which acetone is formed, including alcoholism, fat-free dieting, diabetes and even teething.

"So we marinated pork tissue in acetone, rather than ethanol.

"This was used to make scale models of humans, which we clothed and set alight.

"They burned to ash within half an hour.

"For the first time a feasible cause of human combustion has been experimentally demonstrated.”

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21528786.500-big-burn-theory-why-humans-spontaneously-combust.html

I would be more surprised if by soaking something in acetone it didn't burn

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Wait, that's real?
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Mick Shrimpton, RIP

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
While it's cool, if the body ever achieved that percentage of acetone in solution the person would already be dead.

Exactly.  The "researcher" is a dumbass.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Wait, that's real?

Google "spontaneous human combustion" and look at the images.  People sitting in chairs at home just erupt into flames and are consumed except for their lower legs and feet.

I don't think this guy has the whole answer.  Other researchers have been able to burn up pig carcasses and maybe human cadavers by setting up an initial condition where a small fire triggered melting of fat, causing a candle wick kind of thing that gradually burned up the whole thing.

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Wait, that's real?

Google "spontaneous human combustion" and look at the images.  People sitting in chairs at home just erupt into flames and are consumed except for their lower legs and feet.

I don't think this guy has the whole answer.  Other researchers have been able to burn up pig carcasses and maybe human cadavers by setting up an initial condition where a small fire triggered melting of fat, causing a candle wick kind of thing that gradually burned up the whole thing.

spontaneous human combustion
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#11]
So he's saying that something "marinated in acetone" accurately replicates the combustibility of living human tissue?

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#12]
That's how I wanna go.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#13]

thread makes me hungry

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's how I wanna go.

you want the world to know you were a complete flamer?
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's how I wanna go.

you want the world to know you were a complete flamer?

they already know.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
While it's cool, if the body ever achieved that percentage of acetone in solution the person would already be dead.

And he deliberately ignited the pork using some outside source of flame/energy - whereas the cases of alleged "spontaneous human combustion" supposedly involve no external source of ignition.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#17]

At least he didn't choke to death on someone else's vomit.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Wait, that's real?

I will guarantee you no human has, or ever will, "just erupt into flames."  

I saw a thing on this where a researcher duplicated the effect described above using pig carcasses.  The idea is that somebody dies and the fat somehow gets ignited and burns very slowly at relatively low temperature.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And he deliberately ignited the pork using some outside source of flame/energy - whereas the cases of alleged "spontaneous human combustion" supposedly involve no external source of ignition.

Most are believed to be smokers, wrapped in a blanket(creating a wick effect and feeding the fire with liquefying human fat) who fell asleep with a lit cigarette.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Wait, that's real?

But those dam vampires sure the hell do....

;-)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I thought it was from holding your farts in

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

thread makes me hungry

Pork rinds anyone?
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Reminds me of the old Eddie Murphy(SNL) skit. "Bruthahs be catchin on fire."
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  The "researcher" is a dumbass.

Maybe so––but I'm stopping the acetone baths like, RIGHT NOW!  

Not me.  Sounds like a bunch of new age hippie shit.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't chance it.  Eat more fat.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most are believed to be smokers, wrapped in a blanket(creating a wick effect and feeding the fire with liquefying human fat) who fell asleep with a lit cigarette.

Pretty much this, I don't remember a case were it didn't involve a smoker.

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#30]
As usual, I've been doing it wrong.  A marinade?  I've been using all different kinds of rubs, never could achieve ignition...
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#31]
there are many things that can create an exothermic reaction that can lead to open flame.  the question is.. can the human body, in certain situations, create the environment needed for such a reaction?

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

At least he didn't choke to death on someone else's vomit.

" You can't really dust for vomit..."

Don't forget that Shrimpy's replacement, Peter James Bond, exploded at the Isle of Lucy Jazz/Blues Festival, too....
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#33]
So we are akin to pork belly soaked in acetone

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 7:42:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Wait, that's real?

No.

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Exactly. This study is such bullshit. No animal can make those concentrations.

Its been proven there is nothing spontaneous about the phenom and they recreated it with a non acetone soaked pic in a blanket. They found a murder victim who was mostly burned like a spontaneous human combustion victim adn it was determined the killer set her shirt on fire. The fat in her skin was like fuel and the cotton short was the wick. Its a wick effect and nothing spontaneous about it.

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Prior to this report, I had respect for Cambridge.

Now, I'm reconsidering that respect.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I thought that they were all fat drunk people who fell asleep with a lit cigarette.   The intoxicated sleep alllows them drop the cigarette just right and keeps them from waking up while the fat feeds the flame like an oil lamp.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#39]
People explode sometimes.  Natural causes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZjZbJuhPAo&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

He said in an article in New Scientist: "One minute they may be relaxing in a chair, the next they erupt into a fireball.

"Jets of blue fire shoot from their bodies like flames from a blowtorch, and within half an hour they are reduced to a pile of ash.

He added: "A range of conditions can produce ketosis, in which acetone is formed, including alcoholism, fat-free dieting, diabetes and even teething.

"So we marinated pork tissue in acetone, rather than ethanol.

"This was used to make scale models of humans, which we clothed and set alight.

"They burned to ash within half an hour.

"For the first time a feasible cause of human combustion has been experimentally demonstrated.”

No shit. The levels would be immense compared to someone in ketosis. I spent a year in ketosis once. Funny, I didn't burn, or ever feel like I had been "marinated in acetone"
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#41]
why would you do that to bacon......
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Beats a bizarre gardening accident.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Gonna go carbo load fuck Atkins
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Gonna go carbo load fuck Atkins

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#46]
This is news.  I hope it never happens to me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Kenny?
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Wait, that's real?

I am on MFG
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:39:10 AM EDT
[#49]
It sounds as if when all seven chakras are open, you are fucked.

POOF!
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#50]
A more plausible explanation is that someone died with a cigarette in their mouth.
Cig dropped from their mouth onto a newspaper, or a cotton shirt.
Considering how many people die every day, and how many of those were smokers, odds are a few would go up in flames.

Has anyone evaluated the number of reported human combustion cases since the mandated switch to cigs that self extinguish?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top