Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/25/2012 7:06:12 AM EDT
I just ordered this , will be here next week  .Basically a portable android tablet with ICS that uses your own HDMI capable LCD for a screen , and a wifi/USB kb/mouse and wifi internet for 90$ . I see alot of uses , good for kids on the big screen with no virus issues. good for on the go presentations , ill report back once i get it and test it for a couple days.

Might be a POS , but I put it on the IT dept credit card

http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-PC-On-A-Stick-Computer-Processor-Internal/dp/B009A80ADA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348584090&sr=8-1&keywords=mk808+dongle

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Arrived this morning !  Well , it looks just like the photos , smaller than a pack of smokes, and like the video shows its full ICS . The google play store works fine , so does gmail and skype ! i added a few apps from the Play store and it also had a apk installer app on it already . Hooked it up to the hdmi on a visio 32 inch and it works great , video is smooth at 1080P !  netflix ran great , so did youtube and it did not get too hot at all even after 3 hours of use. KB and Mouse worked great and i hooked up a 2 TB usb drive to it , worked fine and played movies,photos and mp3s i had  i had on it.  It is a full Google TV  /ICS 4.1 , buy and be happy! just ordered a 32gig SD for it .
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 7:11:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats pretty cool, let us know how well it works
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 7:22:35 AM EDT
[#2]
That looks pretty badass if it works as advertised
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#3]
reveiws are very good , could run netflix on it for a set top box , support 32 gig sd plus USB storage i think plus android games  . in office for presentations or guest use machine off the internal network.

we are heading to an entire electronic self updating store catalog that you can order directly from , just plug into your TV is what i see as a cool idea.

http://www.sainsmart.com/review/product/list/id/179/category/32/#customer-reviews
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 7:25:01 AM EDT
[#4]
This is not a tag.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 7:25:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks pretty similar to the Rasberry Pi.  And I too can think of a ton of uses.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 7:28:46 AM EDT
[#6]
That does look kinda nifty. Should be awesome for the kids. Not having to provide a display allows them to focus on the rest of the hardware, and cheap.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 7:30:26 AM EDT
[#7]
ost

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Now that is a cool product.

Added to the short list, thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#9]
video of it in use added in op.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
video of it in use added in op.

Yup, top of the short list now. Time to order one, Im impressed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm going to guess it does not have direct access to the Android Market/Google Play.  That's been the hang up with the inexpensive tablet I bought my wife earlier this year.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'm going to guess it does not have direct access to the Android Market/Google Play.  That's been the hang up with the inexpensive tablet I bought my wife earlier this year.

I was wondering about that, myself.

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I see the Play store icon in the video , i will let you know if it works once i get it . Not so important to me as i can load apps via SD if i have to .
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#14]
i have the last gen of one and it works great. mine is a 1gig processor with 1 gig of ram and 4 gigs internal storage. mine has a mini HDMI-HDMI cable an can be powered via USB or the included power adapter. i have used it to watch "the walking dead" in HD. it rocks and i am waiting a little while for a newer version. the only problem is over heating which i fixed by modding the case and installing a couple of heat sinks. playing angry birds on a 32" vizio kicks ass. LOL.

guess i should have mentioned, the one i have is sold as a MK802. there is a newer version that has a HDMI plug so all you do it plug it right into the HDMI slot on your TV, no cable needed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

it most certainly does. i can install any apps i can install on my phone. i can even link a CC to the account so i can buy apps through the market. you can DL an app to "fool" the market into thinking its a samsung tab or even the moto xoom tablet.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
i have the last gen of one and it works great. mine is a 1gig processor with 1 gig of ram and 4 gigs internal storage. mine has a mini HDMI-HDMI cable an can be powered via USB or the included power adapter. i have used it to watch "the walking dead" in HD. it rocks and i am waiting a little while for a newer version. the only problem is over heating which i fixed by modding the case and installing a couple of heat sinks. playing angry birds on a 32" vizio kicks ass. LOL.

guess i should have mentioned, the one i have is sold as a MK802. there is a newer version that has a HDMI plug so all you do it plug it right into the HDMI slot on your TV, no cable needed.

I was reading about the heat issue , looks like this case has some cooling vents . I got it to test at the office for a guest box to check email and such but ill be using one for a movie watching/surf box next to my PC so i can do things on the internet while im gaming on the internet  The one above is the mk808 with a mini hdmi plug.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Sweet, an android appletv
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Even if it didn't that problem can be easily remedied by downloading the Google Play .apk from the internet and installing it.  It's pretty easy to adjust the Android OS to fit pretty much anything.  I used to make ROMs and put them on XDA a couple of years ago for folks with cheaper phones that came without official Google apps.  It's not necessary anymore especially since I can't even compare to the current batch of 15-25 year olds who cook roms now.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was reading about the heat issue , looks like this case has some cooling vents . I got it to test at the office for a guest box to check email and such but ill be using one for a movie watching/surf box next to my PC so i can do things on the internet while im gaming on the internet  The one above is the mk808 with a mini hdmi plug.

the only problems i see with the mk808 is it isnt rooted and it is actually only running 1.2, not 1.6 mhz. it being rooted would fix the overclocking but until then you are still at 1.2mhz. the 802 had a second version that had "cooling vents" that still wasnt enough to cure all the heat issues but it helped. the 808 has cooling plates which should help with the heat a lot better than just holes in the case. i may pick up an 808 to play with once we are in the new house since i will have an even bigger tv to test it with.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I don't think they're quite comparable with each other (different purpose).

Though I do have to say, Airplay from a MBP, iPhone or iPad is pretty slick.

You can do the same with a PC and the appropriate settop box, but Apple made it brain dead easy. My grandmother could figure it out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Tagscribe
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 1:22:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think they're quite comparable with each other (different purpose).    

Though I do have to say, Airplay from a MBP, iPhone or iPad is pretty slick.

You can do the same with a PC and the appropriate settop box, but Apple made it brain dead easy. My grandmother could figure it out.

I love AirPlay. It's the only reason I use any Apple products. I have an Airport Express in my bedroom and an AppleTV for my home theater. I can control the whole works from an iPod or my Windows PC using iTunes and an application call AirFoil that can send the audio stream from anything on my PC to AirPlay devices. AirFoil actually makes a PC work with AirPlay devices better than a MacBook.

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I run airfoil and remote and I can send playlist change requests from my iPod touch and have the main computer change songs playing to my remoted speakers in the backyard.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#24]
am I missing something?

my droid bionic does this with the dock it came with.
I just run a HDMI cable from it to the TV.

webtop I think its called.

I would think its more common than to just my phone
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

am I missing something?

my droid bionic does this with the dock it came with.

I just run a HDMI cable from it to the TV.

webtop I think its called.
I would think its more common than to just my phone

Yes, it's expensive as fuck, by comparison.

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Pretty cool.

Let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Usually when you install an android system you have to find the gapps.zip to install as well. That will install the google market.

I rooted a Kindle Fire and installed Jelly Bean on it. It had no android market. After looking around I found a gapps.zip file that had all the google stuff. I installed it like I did the original Android OS and when the device came back on all was well. Google Market was up and running.

Same thing with the Nook. I installed Cyanogen Mod 7 on it and had to get the google apps install file for it too.

If this is ICS on this device, all you have to do is root it and install it. You could easily install TWRP on it then have the interface you need to install whatever you want.

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#28]
updated in op, works great !
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Hook to a spare monitor and make a large digital picture frame?
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

yes if the monitor has a HDMI port.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes if the monitor has a HDMI port.

Or a dvi.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#32]
OP thanks for posting this thread, I had no idea such things existed (and I'm in IT and carry and android phone). one of those sounds liek just the ticket for someone who just needs to surf the web and email etc without the hassle of a pc.

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OP thanks for posting this thread, I had no idea such things existed (and I'm in IT and carry and android phone). one of those sounds liek just the ticket for someone who just needs to surf the web and email etc without the hassle of a pc.  

I'm going to order a few for guest email and web access  , and to run some looping video and photos in the lobby area .
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's got to be an improvement over my western digital media player. In.

I have one of those too , there are some DLNA android apps if you are using a NAS for media storage so should be an ok replacement , or just use direct USB.

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one of those too , there are some DLNA android apps if you are using a NAS for media storage so should be an ok replacement , or just use direct USB.

Will it plug in a USB HDD?

Because I have an old Iomega Screenplay that won't play some newer (Higher-definition) files, and it will work as a HDD.  (I have an old laptop hooked up to the same TV, so I have to fire that up if I want to watch those files... The Iomega is almost-instant-on, which I like.  The old laptop is definitely not...)
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 3:30:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because I have an old Iomega Screenplay that won't play some newer (Higher-definition) files, and it will work as a HDD.  (I have an old laptop hooked up to the same TV, so I have to fire that up if I want to watch those files... The Iomega is almost-instant-on, which I like.  The old laptop is definitely not...)

it worked with a USB key and also a 2 TB seagate USB drive , it as a file explorer app that lets you look for media on the internal storage , SD card and USB devices. should work on network storage with a DLNA app and the wifi.

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Just ordered one.  This may be the perfect solution for a TV we have in a conference room we have...
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it worked with a USB key and also a 2 TB seagate USB drive , it as a file explorer app that lets you look for media on the internal storage , SD card and USB devices. should work on network storage with a DLNA app and the wifi.

Nice.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#40]
forgot to mention, if you are a fan of older gaming systems such as the PS and SNES and even N64 you can download emulators and the "roms" along with a USB controller and you have new school old school gaming systems. you can find the controllers on ebay as well as amazon. you can buy just one and change the buttons to control what you like or buy controllers that are just like each original controler and have then setup just like the originals for the real feel.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#42]
That is cool!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Maybe that one works, but beware, some out there don't. The UG802's  work for HD material when connected to ethernet, but the wireless is very bad. The newer MK808 ( dual arm9's ) don't work over ethernet well, but will do well on wireless. They are wonderful things, this is just gen1. Should be about $45 in a few months.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Forum if you want mods - http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewforum.php?f=6  
There are others available for $65 ( plus shipping ), some with Jelly bean. When they will be wonderful is when they work with Miracast ( airplay for 'droid ).
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
forgot to mention, if you are a fan of older gaming systems such as the PS and SNES and even N64 you can download emulators and the "roms" along with a USB controller and you have new school old school gaming systems. you can find the controllers on ebay as well as amazon. you can buy just one and change the buttons to control what you like or buy controllers that are just like each original controler and have then setup just like the originals for the real feel.

I have a Retroport and an NES RetroPad from RetroUSB

They both work great, though for TV use, I find the RetroPad's cord a little short, compared to an NES controllers cord.

Tons of fun, though, a couple weeks ago Jim Beam and I sat down one night and blew through the Legend of Zelda...
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have several of the MK802II models. They're the same Cortex A8 running at 1ghz with 1 gig mem and 32 gig microsd.  The Android that came on mine was a little flaky but considering how easy it is to drop Ubuntu on them, I did that. I can run pianobar, VLC, full LXDE X interface, chromium, opera and aside from the first minute after it boots, it's very responsive. Where the RPi was too slow to really do any serious work or entertainment these models have enough ass to get the job done. I mean the Lubuntu image the Rikomagic devs put on the internet has hardware OpenGL support. I traded up from a RPi and couldn't be happier. I'm probably going to pick up a Geniatech ATV120 at some point which is the full unlocked version of what the op bought in the same form factor. Geniatech OEMs these things for various brand names. I may take a look at the ATV200 too.  The Raspberry Pi cost me $35 and $15 shipping. The MK802IIs cost me $52 shipped from ebay. Two dollars more for twice the processing power, four times the memory, OpenGL support, a smaller form factor and a nice case to keep the magic smoke in.  Not to mention that the Raspberry Pi runs an ARM11 processor which meets ARM 6 compliance while the Cortex A8 and Cortex A9 are both ARM 7 compliant. ARM 6 was cool 10 years ago but there's not really anyone but Arch linux and Debian who still support it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#47]
BTW, anyone who wants one of what the OP has can get the same hardware marketed under a different brand here for $66 shipped.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Can it handle 1080p video files and NTFS drives? If so that would be perfect for all the video apps like Netflix and ESPN, plus playing movie files
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Can it handle 1080p video files and NTFS drives? If so that would be perfect for all the video apps like Netflix and ESPN, plus playing movie files

The hardware has the ability to playback video at full 1080p for specific media types and power external USB hard drives.  If you put linux on it you get a whole computer that does everything a full blown computer does. I haven't come across any media that mine won't play and I can access any data on my network as well as almost any web media.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Too bad it doesn't have an IR or serial port.

That+ some programming= low cost control system for home AV/Automation.

Many devices have IP control these days but we are finding it less then reliable or having to fight energy star mandates (like shutting off the network port when device is powered off).

I have an Amazon gift card floating around here..... Hmmmmm.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top