Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2002 8:38:29 PM EDT
Here is a picture of my 8yo daughter on her first time out..  notice where she's pointing.. [:D]

I may not be able to hack Camp Perry... however.. [:)]

[img]http://www.ar15.com/members/albums/7IDL%2F1st%5Ftime%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the kick knocked her teeth out! [;)]

Excellent shooting!!! Good for you & her.  I bet you are a proud papa.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice going, Dad!
I hope to have pictures like that real soon.
My daughter is going to be 7 and shooting her 1st rifle, a Marlin 15YS...and, I just got my Dad's .22, a Marlin 81!  We'll both be shooting the .22's our Dad's gave us.  Ironic, huh?
Glad for ya.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats to your daughter and you, 7IDL! Your daughter looks like a real sweetheart, and I am sure that you are a great father [:)]

Eric/Tyler
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#6]
So how do you get the girls interested? I'd love to get my nieces shooting too. One likes it - if her girl cousins aren't around. The others aren't   interested in the least.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Great shot! So......I assume from the smile on her face you [b]didn't[/b] have to twist her arm to get her to go shooting?
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So how do you get the girls interested? I'd love to get my nieces shooting too. One likes it - if her girl cousins aren't around. The others aren't   interested in the least.
View Quote
Try the "one-upmanship" ploy: save a target on which she scored really well, and let her show it to her cousins. Soon, they'll be trying to out-do her.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Absolutely priceless!!! [0:)]
What was she shooting??

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Keep a collection of her targets, showing increasing proficiency. Show it to the boys she dates. Growl slightly and glare at them as you do so. Explain that she learned from you. Display shovel. Repeat as necessary.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 3:21:04 AM EDT
[#11]
thanks guys.[:I]

I've had her exposed for a long time. I gave her a Daisy Red Ryder (50'th aniv, commem.)for Christmas 2000, that I bought back in the 80's.  She'd actually been bugging me to go [:)]

She used up over 200 bb's in that, plus I let her put some rounds down range with one of my AR's (I held on my thigh while she emptied) [:)]

She also shot my 2206 (.22 pistol) (with my help) she put all shots on target (except the AR, which was just me holding...while trying to hit a can @ 40m or so (we finally did)[:)]

She's still a bit "small" for a proper fit, I'll guess I'll look for a 'chipmunk'(?) or one of those other "jr sized" .22's.

She paid attention to the rules and understands iron sights (still have to work on the Peep type though(AR's))

She started drawing a picture, I'll post it when it's finished.  [:)]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 3:39:27 AM EDT
[#12]
let us know if she becomes an instructor, i've always wanted to hit the 10-ring. [:(]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 3:40:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
thanks guys.[:I]

I've had her exposed for a long time. I gave her a Daisy Red Ryder (50'th aniv, commem.)for Christmas 2000, that I bought back in the 80's.  She'd actually been bugging me to go [:)]

She used up over 200 bb's in that, plus I let her put some rounds down range with one of my AR's (I held on my thigh while she emptied) [:)]

She also shot my 2206 (.22 pistol) (with my help) she put all shots on target (except the AR, which was just me holding...while trying to hit a can @ 40m or so (we finally did)[:)]

She's still a bit "small" for a proper fit, I'll guess I'll look for a 'chipmunk'(?) or one of those other "jr sized" .22's.

She paid attention to the rules and understands iron sights (still have to work on the Peep type though(AR's))

She started drawing a picture, I'll post it when it's finished.  [:)]
View Quote

When instructing young shooters, I find the concepts of sight alignment and sight picture more complicated than most are able to handle until over ten years.

A simple red dot sight mounted on a Chipmunk or Cricket rifle gives a young shooter an easier package to manage.  Just put the dot on the target and squeeze the trigger.

It lets them concentrate on more basic things like holding the rifle correctly and being steady.

Reactive targets like balloons make more interesting things to shoot if the range will allow them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 4:51:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Now you have to give her more than one round to shoot .
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:05:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey 7IDL, would you mind giving up the location on where you were shooting? I'm getting tired of Lefthand Canyon. That looks like a nice open area where I could zero the scope on my sons .22! He turned 10 this past April and I bought him his first rifle, a used bolt action Western Field made by Mossberg. Cleaned up very nice, I'll have to post pics too!
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:28:21 AM EDT
[#16]
That ear-to-ear grin on her face says it all.

Congrats, 7IDL.  [:)]

Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:35:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 6:06:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Fantastic, no, absolutely fantastic. I am stuck waiting on the grandkids' to grow some more. Hope you framed that picture and set it out in the living room, and a copy on the refrigerator.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 6:29:29 AM EDT
[#19]
 I can heartily recommend the Davy Crickett 22.  the only stamped parts are the trigger guard and rear peep sight.  It's already drilled & tapped for a propriety Weaver rail, and is phenominally accurate.
 Another little girl who will never be a victim.  Congrats and keep it up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:34:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top