Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/27/2002 12:46:36 PM EDT
I think I might be the first one who has made it back home after today's shoot.

I'm pretty sure everyone attending had a great time.  Now some of us are able to put faces to screen names - screen names to real names is a totally different story!

I'm going to download some pics off of my digital camera after this post, and then post 'em up here in this thread.  [b]ByteTheBullet[/b] has a ton of pictures as well - I think he shot more with his camera than anything else!  [;)]

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks, can't wait to see them. My cousin's husband to be is from Stone Mt. and was just up shooting with us two weeks ago. It was the first time he shot an AR, and felt it was the best thing he had done. Hope my cousin is not listening!  [:D]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll look forward to seeing some pictures!

I'll have my digital camera handy at the Central Texas Summer Shoot, and another guy is going to bring his, too.  I'm trying to see if I can find a digital video camera, or someone that can bring one, then digitize some footage for us.... since we'll have some Tannerite, and a couple full auto weapons.  :)  

Seems like this year is the 'get together' year, huh?  [:)]

Link Posted: 7/27/2002 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]
[b]Note: If any of you guys from the meet object to a photo, lemme know and I will remove it.[/b]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/the%5Freject%2Fpic2%2Ejpg[/img]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/the%5Freject%2Fpic4%2Ejpg[/img]

It probably took us a half hour or more just to pack in all the toys - and the heat and humidity made it a tiring ordeal.

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/the%5Freject%2Fpic1%2Ejpg[/img]

Here is [b]LARRYG[/b] and [b]Sweep[/b] - note [b]Sweep[/b] trying to suck it in for all the hotties that might see this picture.  [;)]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/the%5Freject%2Fpic3%2Ejpg[/img]

Here's [b]shamayim[/b] running a few rounds through his M4gery...

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/the%5Freject%2Fpic5%2Ejpg[/img]

This used to be a nice monitor box before [b]lostwildcat[/b] and myself began going to town on it with 12 gauges.  [b]DUDE!  YOU'RE GETTIN' A SHELL!!![/b]  [:D]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/the%5Freject%2Fpic7%2Ejpg[/img]

Here is [b]LARRYG[/b] and [b]lostwildcat[/b] trying a scientific experiment.  [b]LARRYG[/b] posted [url=http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/072002/new_20020720060.shtml]this article[/url] where a reporter claims that an AR15 can fire 30 round in 4 seconds.  We countered that A) it couldn't be done and B) you wouldn't hit much if you could.  [b]Sweep[/b], [b]lostwildcat[/b] and myself all tried just a standard rapid fire mag dump - none of us beat the 4 second mark - [b]Sweep[/b] did come closest at around 5-6 seconds.  This picture is of a second attempt by [b]lostwildcat[/b] while aiming at a target.  30 rounds, 4 hits, 6.8 seconds if my memory serves me correct.

I attempted it afterwards, and [b]ByteTheBullet[/b] has those pics.  They aren't pretty.  I did get 3 additional hits though ([b]lostwildcat[/b] and [b]ByteTheBullet[/b], I pulled a fast one on you guys - the other 10 were from my Ruger 10/22 [:D]).

All in all, I know I had a fun time, despite the heat and the humidity that sucked the life right out of you.

I know [b]ByteThebullet[/b] has tons of pics, but these will have to do for now.

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep them coming, they are great!
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I object to the picture of Sweep!  He's no prettier now than he was when he was in Dallas with us last year. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I object to the picture of Sweep!  He's no prettier now than he was when he was in Dallas with us last year. [:D]
View Quote

Hey now, first of all, you weren't there today, so you can't object to begin with!  [;D]

And second of all, I don't [b]MAKE[/b] the faces, I just take a picture of 'em.  Not my fault he's no prettier...  [;)]  This wasn't a modelling photo-op, there was no face powdering - consider it [b]Sweep - au naturale[/b].  [:D]

Oh wait, I guess there was.  But not with make-up!

...and be thankful I took the picture that early in the day - we were all dirty and ragged-looking by 3pm!

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#7]
What range did you shoot at?  I've recently moved to the Douglasville area and am looking for a public or private range to use.

I mainly shoot pistols now but have been known to break out my AR.  So I'm looking for a range that allows shooting both.  From the pics the range you were at looks like a nice one.

Thanks,
Rob
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#8]
double tap
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What range did you shoot at?  I've recently moved to the Douglasville area and am looking for a public or private range to use.

I mainly shoot pistols now but have been known to break out my AR.  So I'm looking for a range that allows shooting both.  From the pics the range you were at looks like a nice one.

Thanks,
Rob
View Quote

Rob - We were at the Charlie Elliot DNR range.  It's on the east side of Atlanta, off I-20 past Conyers and Covington.  The range has a pistol side and a rifle side, not that it really matters all that much as people were shooting either at both.

Rifle side is 100yrd range, pistol I [i]think[/i] (yeah, I know, that's dangerous) went to 50 yards.  Might have been only 25.  Not positive.

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Great pics, thanks. [:D]
View Quote

You are welcome - I'm just waiting for the inevitable: the [b]AR15.com Photoshopping Squad!!![/b]

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 2:15:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the pics, looks as if it's as hot in Central GA as it is in Central TN.....
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks,
Rob
View Quote

I graduated from Douglas County in 1966, we shot down at Dog River.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for the pics, looks as if it's as hot in Central GA as it is in Central TN.....
View Quote

It was so hot and humid today that humping in all my toys sapped all my energy - dunno how I managed to hump it all out (big thanks to [b]Sweep[/b] and [b]lostwildcat[/b] for grabbing the improvised "trash bin" for me - I doubt I could have managed one last trip back and forth).  For the next 4 hours, my strength was gone - couldn't hold a rifle steady even while resting my elbows on the table!  Granted, I'm no sharpshooter by any stretch of the imagination, but I resorted to destroying the monitor box with my scattergun because I couldn't aim and shoot a decent group to save my life.

I weighed 240lbs this morning before I left.

After breakfast, a gallon of liquids, and 5 hours of shooting, I now weigh 236.  It was a sweat box today at the range.  Tons of fun, but I think maybe we should hold the next one when it cools down some.  [;)]

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#15]
OUTSTANDING day of shooting. lots of comraderie and fellowship enjoying our hobby. it was nice to see a diverse turnout. everyone exhibited good safety practices, and i'd like to say right now that id happily shoot with any of you. i'd like to thank Sweep for putting it together and i'd also like to thank LarryG for letting me molest his Garands, made my day! although larry, you tipped the girlfriend off on what lies ahead. she took one look at youre  collection and said "THATS why you ordered a Safe 3 times bigger than you need isnt it"

count us in for next time.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
...i'd also like to thank LarryG for letting me molest his Garands, made my day!...
View Quote

Quote of the day:  "You're limp-wristing it; it's a Garand for God's sake!"

I wish I could attribute that quote to someone in regards to someone else, but I was on the complete opposite side of the firing line...  [b]DvlDog[/b], maybe you can help me out with this one...

I'd also like to say a big thanks to all for sharing toys, ammo, and whatever else I might fail to mention.

Can't wait for the next shoot...

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
AHH YOU BASTAGE!  Here I thought you were Rambo and you bamboozeled us!
View Quote

Well, I did hit it 3 times...  That's 10%, isn't it?  [:D]

Glad you made it home safely.

the_reject, anytime you want to do some shotgun mulching, you let me know!
View Quote

Roger, wilco - next time you need some mulch, give me a call.  [:D]

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#19]
[b]lostwildcat[/b] - check your mail.

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Hold on folks, I found another picture on the memory card:

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/the%5Freject%2Fpic6%2Ejpg[/img]

This is shot of the firing line.  [b]lostwildcat[/b] is up front, and in the distance you can see [b]LARRYG[/b] (all the way in the back), [b]ByteThebullet[/b] (back turned, blue and white striped shirt), and I think that might be [b]DvlDog[/b] seated at the second-to-last firing station.

I think [b]Sweep[/b] must've been on break when I snapped this one, but his table is just past [b]lostwildcat[/b].

We introduced a few of the other folks in this pic to the toys we had brought with us, including a group from Georgia Tech that came out today.  One guy was particularly good with [b]lostwildcat's[/b] shotgun and helped in the demolition of the monitor box.

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Oh yeah, reject, get that damn camera fixed. That thing must have added 25 lbs to me and LarryG both![:)]
View Quote

Just because you work around chimneys for a living, do you really think you need to look like Santa???? [:D]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That HAD to have been LarryG![:D]
View Quote

Said by or said to?

Oh yeah, reject, get that damn camera fixed. That thing must have added 25 lbs to me and LarryG both![:)]
View Quote

Naw man, see, cameras only add 5 pounds.  The other 20?  Well, that's all you.  [;)]

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Ditto on the great time.  Heat, humidity and all it was still great fun.  Showed wife and 4 yr. old son the shot of me.  He thought the pic of daddy was great. All the wife would say was  "When are you going to retire that old ZAHAL (Israeli Army) hat you always wear shooting." Oh well, guess wives are like that, especially after you've been out having fun, and they've had to take the kid to a Disney movie.

Sweep did a super job setting this thing up and I think we all owe him a big THANK YOU.  I'm already looking forward to the next one. [:D] [:D]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
[b]Note: If any of you guys from the meet object to a photo, lemme know and I will remove it.[/b]

It probably took us a half hour or more just to pack in all the toys - and the heat and humidity made it a tiring ordeal.
View Quote
Damn, you got that right, I was sweating like crazy.

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/the%5Freject%2Fpic1%2Ejpg[/img]

Here is [b]LARRYG[/b] and [b]Sweep[/b] - note [b]Sweep[/b] trying to suck it in for all the hotties that might see this picture.  [;)]
View Quote
I didn't even bother trying, too much to suck in.  I love how the humidity and the sweat makes my hair so curly....NOT!

All in all, I know I had a fun time, despite the heat and the humidity that sucked the life right out of you.
View Quote
You got that right.  Man, I feel like a damn dish rag.  When I left for the day, I was soaking wet.  I just got home about 2115.  I stayed around until 1900 when the range closed, then policed the area for awhile, then drove home, about an hour.  Man, I am bushed, but it was fun.  I learned one thing today.  [b]Limit the number of guns you take![/b]  I was going to try to get all my guns sighted in and wound up accomplishing nothing.  It's going to take about three trips on weekdays, when it is not crowded.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
[Quote of the day:  "You're limp-wristing it; it's a Garand for God's sake!"
View Quote
If I said, it was to DvlDog.  I don't remember saying it, but that means nothing.  I suffer badly from CRS.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

That HAD to have been LarryG![:D]
[:)]
View Quote

Yea, The garand had a problem, larry and sweep cleared it then it happened again.  Larry told (i think it was 1mangang) it wasnt the rifle it had to be because he limp wristed it!!

LMAO..

View Quote
Turns out it is apparently an ammo problem.  In two of my Garands, the casing apparently swelled to the point of not coming out, even with a cleaning rod pushing on it.  I am going to get it to the gunsmith on Tuesday and see if it is the ammo for sure and then the ammo maker will get a visit from me.

It was said it jest.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, the problem happened on the first shot by DvlDog with each of the two Garands.  I loaded the third Garand with surplus AP rounds and let DvlDog run an 8 round clip through with no problem using the surplus.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:01:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Is that range open year around?  I dont know about you guys, but I'd rather bundle up and let the heat from my gun keep me warm!!

View Quote
As far as I know, it is open year round.  I agree with the bundling up.  It had to be in the 90s today.  Watching Baseball Tonight on ESPN, they said Andruw Jones came out of the game in Atlanta today due to heat.  He is from Curacao (sp??) and is a young guy, so you know the heat was oppressive.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#35]
And it rained after you guys left!
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And it rained after you guys left!
View Quote

Did you leave and then come back?

I didnt see your truck when we left and I thought you left without saying goodbye?  :(

I hope you didnt have to clean up too much by yourself.

Me and sweep and the_reject did a pretty good job cleaning before we left and there was only a couple people there.  Hope you didnt have to clean up their mess.
View Quote
I had moved the truck closer when we were unloading when the guy with the trailer who was taking up 4 or 5 spots left.  You know, they guy who could have parked along the trees on the other side of the parking area since he was pulling a trailer.  Most of the people that came after y'all left made a mess and didn't clean up.  I have, in the past, talked to a couple of the DNR guys.  They have been nice and pointed out they don't have the resources to keep the place policed and they need everybody's help in doing so.  Since I was the last person there today, I policed the area pretty well just to try to keep the place up.  It is free and if some of the other people (assholes) who use it don't keep it clean, I guess those of us who give a hoot have to do their part as well.  I have got to remember to bring a broom and dustpan when I go there, dang it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 5:27:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I learned one thing today.  [b]Limit the number of guns you take![/b]
View Quote

No doubt!  Next time it will be "pick and choose" rather than "bring the entire family".

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 5:29:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
BTW, the_reject or an any one else have a nice hickey on their shoulder from shooting?  

I think those 3"magnums did it to me :P
View Quote

Both shoulders are a little sore - the left (my "shotgun" shoulder) a little moreso than the right.  I actually have more of a hickey on the top of my right shoulder from packing out ammo in my back pack!

...it's all about conditioning...  [:D]

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 5:33:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is that range open year around?  I dont know about you guys, but I'd rather bundle up and let the heat from my gun keep me warm!!
View Quote

No kidding!  I think when winter comes, we could have a great time...  The barrel of my shotgun was hot!  And taking the bayo off of the Mosin was a PITA with as hot as it was...

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:10:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Where are the pictures from Byte the Bullet?
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:30:17 AM EDT
[#42]
I have finally gotten some computer time and I am resizing the pics and adding 10 lbs to all of you.[;)] I should have something for you guys in a few!!

btw, [b]I[/b] was the one who made the 'limp wrist' crack at dvldog. The heat must have fried yer brains. I know it fried mine.[%|] What exactly does heat stroke feel like, anyway?

Posting pics in a few...

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for the pics guys! [:)]

Damn... I really need to get out more often.

Thay is, if THEY would let me out...

Tyler
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Sweep - you've got mail.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#46]
[b]ByteTheBullet[/b] - you can send them to me.  I have no problems with Acrobat...

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I learned one thing today.  [b]Limit the number of guns you take![/b]
View Quote

That actually should depend on if you're shooting bad ammo. Which if you are, you should bring 3 of each gun![:D] Hehehehe!
View Quote

...or just don't limp-wrist it...  [;D]

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The heat must have fried yer brains. I know it fried mine.[%|] What exactly does heat stroke feel like, anyway?
View Quote

Well, if it was anything like what I was feeling yesterday, it was nausea, headache, lightheadedness, shortness of breath, ringing in the ears...

...oh wait, that last one was because of the shooting.  Nevermind that one.  [;)]

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#50]
I mailed a zipped file...hmmm. I will send it to the-reject right now.

Hey Reject...you've got mail.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top