Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2012 6:54:11 AM EDT
Was reading Reddit, where a poster mentioned his guns were seized by police after his apartment was raided by the police on suspicion on drugs.  There was a post on how to get the guns back, but it centered around receipts.

What happens if you don't have a receipt (i.e., the guns were a gift from a deceased relative who may have in turn bought them in a private sale, or you bought the gun in a private party sale)?
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:56:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Take photos of the gun with a closeup of the serial  number and your driver's license.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:01:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui decat
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:05:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui decat

Do you really think that shit flys now a days?

Have you not seen any of the stupid shit in the news.

You cansream this all day long but you won' be getting your shit back. I went throught a 1 yr ordeal with the ATF fuck nozzels and I had paperwork, id's and all kinds of shit, didn't matter.

Good luck with your fantasy
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:14:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Prove Ownership?????     Prove they ARE NOT mine.  

I have lots of tools in my shed that I cannot show proof of ownership....other than they are in MY shed.  

That question always drives me crazy....  What ever happened to the old saying possession was 9/10ths of the law.  

AR15-SBR

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:18:21 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have these associated with your firearms, you shouldn't have a problem... nobody is going to argue with that.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you have these associated with your firearms, you shouldn't have a problem... nobody is going to argue with that.

http://asjewelers.com/FRstuff/16/Transfer_Tax.jpg

Unfortunately, none of them are NFA goodies.

Should also note:

None of my guns have been seized, nor am I planning on having them seized any time soon.  It was just a random question that popped into my head after reading a story.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What ever happened to the old saying possession was 9/10ths of the law.

That's the thing, it's just a saying.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:23:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Prove Ownership?????     Prove they ARE NOT mine.  

I have lots of tools in my shed that I cannot show proof of ownership....other than they are in MY shed.  

That question always drives me crazy....  What ever happened to the old saying possession was 9/10ths of the law.  

AR15-SBR

The US Constitution is the supreme law of the land we have a president who ignores it, a fast majority of congress that ignores it, and now a majority of the Supreme Court that ignores it.
Law what fucking law?
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:25:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fuck that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck that.

That's about the only thing that's 100% secure. Even if you have a receipt, or a dated photo with the firearm, that doesn't prove it wasn't subsequently sold, does it?
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Was reading Reddit, where a poster mentioned his guns were seized by police after his apartment was raided by the police on suspicion on drugs.  There was a post on how to get the guns back, but it centered around receipts.

What happens if you don't have a receipt (i.e., the guns were a gift from a deceased relative who may have in turn bought them in a private sale, or you bought the gun in a private party sale)?

You do have a receipt (or should) if the police take property from you. They give it to you. It will also be on the return/inventory prepared for a search warrant which details everything they took.

If that happened to me, I'd file a warrant in detinue and name the individual officer(s) and the city/county as defendants, set a date, and make them come explain to a judge why they took my property and won't return it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Take photos of the gun with a closeup of the serial  number and your driver's license.

Yup , I keep saying I'm going to do it , but keep putting it off . . . . I need to stop procrastinating .

I think I'll use my passport though , or maybe both .

Put all the pictures on a few discs , and stash them in a few different places . . . probably give a copy to my parents as well .

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:32:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck that.

That's about the only thing that's 100% secure. Even if you have a receipt, or a dated photo with the firearm, that doesn't prove it wasn't subsequently sold, does it?

Bingo

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck that.

Bingo

Not a practical solution for 90% of the guns I own.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Whatever happened "possession is 9/10s of the law?"

Since the victim is trying to get his guns back I guess the police didn't find any drugs.
Had OP linked us up we would have more info
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck that.

Bingo

Or 90% of the rest of the "little" people on this site.

So pretty much cops can do whatever they want, take whatever they desire, and get away with it. Is that what people are trying to say?
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck that.

Bingo

So pretty much cops can do whatever they want, take whatever they desire, and get away with it. Is that what people are trying to say?

Yes.
If you want a good story involving the ATF and local police, IM "bluelogo"...
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:02:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck that.

Bingo

Yes.
If you want a good story involving the ATF and local police, IM "bluelogo"...

So what's the point in even owning a gun then?

The Registration leads to confiscation crowd may disagree, but I'd gladly register everything I own if it meant not dealing with bullshit like this. They're going to take it either way,  so what's the point?
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

yes even with one I had problems, from the ATF.

That is not a get out of jail card

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nothing 'happened' to it- it was never a legal concept, just some drivel mumbled by people who know very little about anything.

Who says this? You know any lawyers who say it? Where is it codified?
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the thing, it's just a saying.  

That's also the other thing... THEY would have them in this situation, not OP.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

yes even with one I had problems, from the ATF.

That is not a get out of jail card

What were your problems?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:36:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

What were your problems?

LSS

Dealer was thrown in jail during F4 processing, ATF took all his stuff. I had a form 4 and receipt for MG. They jerked me around saying I could not get it. After threats of a lawyer they just found enough time out of there busy schedule to give it back.

Fuck the ATF.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:45:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

AR15-SBR

has anyone heard this line being used on "baitcar"?

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:59:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What were your problems?

LSS

Dealer was thrown in jail during F4 processing, ATF took all his stuff. I had a form 4 and receipt for MG. They jerked me around saying I could not get it. After threats of a lawyer they just found enough time out of there busy schedule to give it back.

Fuck the ATF.

Wow. Glad you got your machine gun. Fuck that noise.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:03:05 AM EDT
[#26]
I thought the police were supposed to give a receipt when they take them

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:11:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Many departments refuse to issue receipts for contraband.  When they seize guns, they claim they are contraband.  Nice trick, huh?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many departments refuse to issue receipts for contraband.  When they seize guns, they claim they are contraband.  Nice trick, huh?

Crooked fucking gestapo cocksuckers . That aint the first time I've heard of that either , not by a long shot .

One day there'll be a reckoning for douchebags like that , they'll reap what they've sown .
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:24:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is still a paper trail, and there is still a return/inventory if it's seized pursuant to a court order (like a search warrant or a levy) that you'll get a copy of.

They can claim whatever they want. File a detinue action, name the officer(s) personally along with the locality. Go on offense, make them defend their seizure and explain why it's "contraband."
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

What were your problems?

LSS

Fuck the ATF.

Wow. Glad you got your machine gun. Fuck that noise.

yep, what he said.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Since the victim is trying to get his guns back I guess the police didn't find any drugs.
Had OP linked us up we would have more info

Article is irrelevant to the question.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top