Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2012 6:55:55 AM EDT
So, General discussion, was I or was I not an asshole?

I shoot at the public gun range, patterning a shotgun. As I'm about to test fire a round of buckshot, the local brass scavangers roll in. A 200+ pound wildbeast gets out of her car, and four little children start running to the line. I turn around, let her know I'm about to shoot, and she does nothing. (note, these type of people steal your brass / crawl all underneath the shooting line when you're shooting). The kids are still running towards the line, so I shrug and touch off a round. It's accompanied by her cussing, and one of the kids started crying. (Please note, I've seen her off and on the past few months, so this is a reoccurring thing. The kids never have ear pro).

So, GD, when was the last time you were an asshole?
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:01:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So, General discussion, was I or was I not an asshole?

I shoot at the public gun range, patterning a shotgun. As I'm about to test fire a round of buckshot, the local brass scavangers roll in. A 200+ pound wildbeast gets out of her car, and four little children start running to the line. I turn around, let her know I'm about to shoot, and she does nothing. (note, these type of people steal your brass / crawl all underneath the shooting line when you're shooting). The kids are still running towards the line, so I shrug and touch off a round. It's accompanied by her cussing, and one of the kids started crying.

So, GD, when was the last time you were an asshole?

Good shoot!
I was gonna suggest to shoot her in the cooter but it is too late she already polluted the gene pool.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Naw.  I'da switched to the loudest gun I had on hand though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Asshole?  You are at a shooting range, you declared your intentions to fire and they didn't heed them.  If anyone is an asshole it is the range chickens scratching for brass.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:02:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Did you maintain 3 seconds between every shot?
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:04:01 AM EDT
[#5]
good shoot

prob should have shot off 1 or 2 more
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:04:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Only issue I see is you didn't break out a Mosin Nagant...preferably M44 type.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Asshole?  You are at a shooting range, you declared your intentions to fire and they didn't heed them.  If anyone is an asshole it is the range chickens scratching for brass.

+1

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:04:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Who in the hell is policing the range?  Where's the RO when you need him?  There's a little bit of liability exposure in the scenario you described.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Too bad you weren't firing a .308 with a compensator.  My buddy fired his the other day and I could feel the muzzle blast on the tops of my feet through my deck shoes.  
You should have told her to STFU and leash her kids like any responsible parent would do at a gun range.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:06:54 AM EDT
[#10]
And that's why I dont go to public ranges..not that there are all that nay anymore here.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Who in the hell is policing the range?  Where's the RO when you need him?  There's a little bit of liability exposure in the scenario you described.

Public range.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#12]
NO, eyes & ears when the line is hot.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:08:32 AM EDT
[#13]
While I try not to be too hard on children I have no patience for brass scroungers with no manners. We had a guy here that was the same way. He would be picking up brass as we were shooting or even better he would swoop in while we were downrange checking targets

The other thing that bugs me a little is that most of these people are not shooters just scavengers
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:09:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Got anything with a compensator or muzzle brake?

Any revolvers that are out of timing? (spit lead shavings out the sides from between the cylinder and force cone)
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like a matter of time before one of those kids earns themselves a Darwin award and catches a bullet in the head, then we can all hear about it on the news and how an innocent child was needlessly cut down by some kinda evil assault revolver while chasing butterflies.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#16]
It's a public range, no range officer. I like that. Makes for sketchy times though.

It was an 18 inch cylinder bore shotgun, with magnum buckshot. It was pretty loud.

I felt bad for the kids though, because she's using them as child labor and they don't get ear pro while the range is hot. I'm all for MYOB, but if I see them again, might have to grab their plates. Plus, who the hell teaches their kids to run towards the firing line?
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:11:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Too bad you weren't firing a .308 with a compensator.  My buddy fired his the other day and I could feel the muzzle blast on the tops of my feet through my deck shoes.  

You should have told her to STFU and leash her kids like any responsible parent would do at a gun range.

Deck shoes?  Seriously?  Kind of makes you say, hmmmmm.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:12:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I usually mark my brass by taking a fat "magic marker" and smudging the back of the brass across the primers while the cartridges are still in the box (about 5 sweeps up and down the backs of the cartridges while they're still in the shell holder) so I know which ones are mine.

Theft is theft, period, and I won't stand for it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:13:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Seems alright with me, good shoot.

Brass whoring should be banned for the good of the children.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:14:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Also, I was shooting a .22lr so I really didn't care. But it chaps my ass at how they just, well, scavenge. It's like a jackal.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I did something similar once... With a 7.5" AR pistol with a Mini Y comp.

Fuck them and their hearing!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:17:21 AM EDT
[#22]
WTF?  Who the fuck has their kids scrounge around a hot firing line?  And without earpro?  I would have dumped a mag.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:19:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I bet THIS might be louder:

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:28:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Should have whipped out your SBR AR and mag dumped repeatedly.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:32:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You were not wrong, but you were an asshole, IMO.

No reason to give potential lifetime hearing damage that kids whose only "crime" is having stupid parents.

everyone pays for the sins of their parents
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

No reason to give potential lifetime hearing damage that kids whose only "crime" is having stupid parents.

Ummm.... Please excuse us while we are basking in our victory.

All of you with compassion and consideration - that way please, at the end of the hall on the left.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Deck shoes?  Seriously?  Kind of makes you say, hmmmmm.  

What are you? The shoe police?
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:33:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

DK-Proof,
The only reason I don't feel TOO bad about being an asshole, is that those kids are out there routinely. I've seen them there off and on for over a year.
One more blast isn't going to make a difference
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:34:50 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DK-Proof,

The only reason I don't feel TOO bad about being an asshole, is that those kids are out there routinely. I've seen them there off and on for over a year.

One more blast isn't going to make a difference

With parents that dumb, those kids are fucked no matter what.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:34:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:35:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#34]
You would only be an asshole if you posted a picture of the wildebeast
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I agree with this. You could have tried a little harder to convince her to call off the kids.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Pics?  
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Hands down one of the loudest rifles I have ever had the dipleasure of shooting next to. Left ear thudded through my Howard Leights and ear plugs. Got him back with my Battlecomp though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:53:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:53:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I agree with this. You could have tried a little harder to convince her to call off the kids.

You missed my next post. The wildbeast brings the kids to the range reoccuringly without giving them ear pro. Hence why I didn't feel TOO bad about touching off a few shotgun rounds. I've seen them four times in the past five months. (Try to avoid crowded range time)

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#40]
I was walking my dag from the dag park to my truck when she decided to make a #2. I had a bag, so I picked it up and went over to the trash can. Some people were in the trash collecting bottles and cans. I dumped the bag o shit right in front of them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:55:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Pics?  

I'll try to take pictures next time I see her.

Enjoy a picture of the bathroom at the range
I think those are ventilation holes because bubbah was taking a dump
]NOTE This is the Springhill range in Tallahassee. They've fixed the doors. They get shotup often.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#42]
A few weeks back I was at a range. A family six was sitting around talking on the rifle range about five feet from the benches. I courteously let them know that I was about to shoot, and they might want to wear some earpro at the very least. They said I was fine to shoot, but didn't put on any protection. I go to the line and pull out my AR with SJC Titan muzzle brake on. I fire off a string of five well aimed shots. I look at the family when I am done and they all have their fingers in their ears and their mouths open. Did I mention the range has a metal roof?

To their credit, they told me I had a badass gun and compensator and asked about ammo and reloads and such.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:58:40 AM EDT
[#43]
It costs me like 2 bucks to shoot at our nice public indoor range, so I usually stop by quite often instead of driving much farther out if i only have a free hour or two. I shoot everything there up to 30 cal with a big ass brake.

Its a hot range that's broken into bays of like 8 stations each, depending on season is usually a decent mix of mainly pistol and then prolly half and half ebr and non. When I have a long gun I always knock on the bench and signal to see if they have ears on even if I see them on just to let them know that Im going to start shooting. For reasons I will never ever understand, people continue to assume that on a hot range with other shooters when their not shooting they can take off their ears, then if I start to shoot im now the asshole because they cant follow directions. I mean there only guns who cares about the rules? Thats not a fight im looking to have ever because ive seen people go apeshit over it with other shooters. WTF else do you think the guy who just walked in with a gun on his hip and a rifle case on the bench with ammo and a hanging target is about to start doing?

A 30 cal with a brake in this kinda indoor setup will almost definitely cause some type of real hearing damage if I start shooting and they are not near their ear protection at the moment. I prefer foamies and havent worn muffs in years so this is onmy my assumption, but I guess some people think its cooler or it looks cool to have your muffs around your neck when you pulling targets or changing out ammo or whatever? They stop looking so cool when someone squeezes off a 12 gauge and the entire room shakes with concussion and they dive for the floor bleeding from the ears.

You are also required to police your own brass there. I always offer mine to everyone there but will stop the brass rats from getting all up in my shit while im physically shooting, again where do these idiots come from? Stand right next to me while my FAL while is spraying brass 400 feet  away at 400 degrees cause im trying get the gas setting dialed in and then wonder whose fault they will think it is when they catch one right in the eye. I tell them to f off I then offer my brass to everyone but them.

I also call people out when they try to pack up and leave without policing up the 6 thousand rounds of .22 they have coated the floor with after 4 hours. Im sure this might get on some jackass looking to skirt the 3 minutes of work it takes nerves, but I know the guys who work there and are all very cool with us and again its a public range which is always tricky, so their problem can easily become my problem when someone takes a fall over their minefield of empty casings. Plus it just makes the staff pick up after these lazy jackasses if they mange to sneak out in time to not get stopped.

whoever first said gun owners are very often their own worst enemy was correct in almost every way possible.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:59:35 AM EDT
[#44]
So, I took one look at the door and now I know which public range you're talking about.

Just go to WCSO or even subject yourself to TRPC. It's so much better than dealing with the fuckheads that run out to the public range. Personally, I never shoot until everyone on the line has ear pro in, but I don't think that makes you a jerk.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#45]
the other morning I went to the range to do some work on a bench somebody decided needed to be broke.
private range with a gate. I find the benches/tables are all moved around and then I notice somebody literally used a rake and went over every square inch.
all that was left was shotgun shells and steel case....
dedicated person to pick up .22
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pics?  

Enjoy a picture of the bathroom at the range http://oi52.tinypic.com/6fs09d.jpg

Are you kidding me? I wonder how many times the bathroom was cleared before they did that. That is why we can't have nice things.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So, I took one look at the door and now I know which public range you're talking about.

Just go to WCSO or even subject yourself to TRPC. It's so much better than dealing with the fuckheads that run out to the public range. Personally, I never shoot until everyone on the line has ear pro in, but I don't think that makes you a jerk.

Yeah, *that* range, out on springhill. I try to avoid anyone when there. It's usually not THAT bad, but can get pretty bad.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pics?  

After seeing this picture, it is clear that anyone who goes to that range is well aware of the potential health hazards.  Ear pro for the children, or no.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:59:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pics?  

Crazy irresponsible.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pics?  

haha is that an old photo at Webb??

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top