Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2002 10:16:35 PM EDT
By now you've seen the movie and maybe even the documentary "The True Story of Blackhawk Down", but what most of you probably didn't know was those were NOT the first US soldiers killed in Somalia. Marines as part of the UN peacekeeping effort were a favorite target of snipers. But there is more...

In fact the US Embassy in Mogadishu was raided and lost to the same assholes who need food but seem to be able to afford AKs just fine.

[url]http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/eastern_exit.htm[/url]

On 01 January 1991, the US Ambassador to Somalia requested military assistance to evacuate the Embassy. Americans and other foreign nationals had sought shelter in the Embassy compound that day as the reign of Somali dictator Siad Barre disintegrated into a confused battle for control of Mogadishu. The next day, Operation EASTERN EXIT was initiated. Conducted between 2 -11 January 1991, participating units included USS Guam, USS Trenton, 4th Marine Expeditionary Bde, Air Force AC-130 (intelligence gathering and fire support, and 9-man Navy SEAL team), and other elements.

Responding to the deteriorating situation, Operation Eastern Exit involved the evacuation of 281 noncombatants from the US Embassy in Mogadishu, Somalia. Despite the priorities of the Gulf War, special operations forces helicopters were put on alert, Air Force C-130 transport aircraft were deployed to Kenya, and two Navy amphibious ships with elements of a Marine expeditionary brigade embarked were sent south from the North Arabian Sea toward Somalia.

The US Navy SEALs had to be sent in to assist the Marines in an effort to evacuate the Embassy which had come under seige very much like the Saigon Embassy in Viet Nam.

[url]http://www.newdominion.com/nsepisode3.html[/url]

January 1991: Civil wars tear apart the African country of Somalia. Along with American nationals, foreign diplomats and civilians take shelter in the U.S. Embassy in Mogadishu. The American Ambassador makes a frantic call to Washington, DC for rescue. The warlords of Somalia have little regard for civilians or diplomatic privilege.

The SEAL team, along with a contingent of Marines, leaves the USS Guam in a troop transport helicopter. To reach Mogadishu, the chopper flies over the Indian Ocean in the dead of night.

Screaming in at 170 knots, the chopper swoops in only feet above rooftop levels in the African city, avoiding anti-aircraft repellents. As the rescue team reaches the U.S. Embassy they are greeted with rifle fire and rocket-propelled grenades. They see armed rebels climbing the walls of the embassy. The chopper is positioned to sweep the assault away, the rotor wash blowing the men and their ladders as if they were paper.

The helicopter lands on the embassy lawn. While the Marines secure the compound perimeter, the SEALs enter the embassy and kill two invading rebels. For one harrowing night, under enemy fire and with no hope of reinforcements, the SEAL team maintains a fierce vigil on the embassy roof, holding back rebel forces until all the hostages are evacuated. The SEALs leave what little protection the embassy offered to rescue an American family trapped outside the compound. They overcame attacks from the warring rebels and get the family safely back to the embassy. In the end, when the last helicopter safely lifts off the embassy grounds, 281 diplomats and civilians are airlifted to freedom. Not one life - hostage or soldier - has been lost.

Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Moving on to the BHD fiasco, wanna know WHO'S fault that was?

[url]http://www.lofman.com/lofman_ar_body02.htm[/url]

Surprise, surprise...

Thirdly, despite two requests from the American military commander in Somalia, the Clinton administration refused to provide the tanks and armored vehicles that could have rescued our beleaguered soldiers shortly after they radioed for help.

And as a final F*CK YOU to the military from Billy "I'm An Asshole" Clinton...

Two months after the shootout the Clinton administration flew the once-targeted warlord on an American military aircraft to a peace conference in Ethiopia. For obvious reasons, U.S. Marines rather than U.S. Rangers were assigned to provide armed protection for Adid.

So the US military was assigned as a security detail for the warlord Adid because the Clinton Administration deemed hims a "buddy" now and friend of the UN. The word is elements of Delta did comprise part of the security detail, but no source is available.

This in light of the fact that US Marines were lost at the US Embassy raid.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The Entire BHD Fiasco...

BLACK HAWK DOWN…THE BLOODY SHOOTOUT IN SOMALIA

With the recent release of the box office hit movie, "Black Hawk Down," I thought it would be an appropriate time to discuss what is still the bloodiest single day of combat for American soldiers since the Vietnam War.

On the afternoon of October 3, 1993, an elite force of 100 Rangers and special operations personnel dispatched to the East African country of Somalia was sent into the capital city of Mogadishu to apprehend the Somalian warlord, Mohammed Farah Adid, and some of his lieutenants who were said to be meeting at a downtown building. Adid was believed to be responsible for the deaths of four American peacekeepers and the wounding of six others.

After being airlifted by helicopters to their destination, the force became involved in an extremely intense firefight lasting some 12 hours. When it was over, 19 of America’s finest were dead and another 76 were wounded.

Since that fateful day in Somalia, there have been many questions raised as to why the operation was so costly. Well, if one studies the shootout and the events leading up to it, there seems to be four factors contributing to the tragic results:

First of all, military intelligence appears to have seriously underestimated (by the hundreds) the number of "bad guys" our troops would encounter.

Secondly, rules of engagement initially restricted the helicopter gunships orbiting above from shooting many of the bad guys since they were intermixed with civilians in the streets.

Thirdly, despite two requests from the American military commander in Somalia, the Clinton administration refused to provide the tanks and armored vehicles that could have rescued our beleaguered soldiers shortly after they radioed for help.

And fourthly, by launching a raid in broad daylight rather than at night under the cover of darkness, the operations security (OPSEC) of the mission was compromised and thus the element of surprise was lost as soon as the mission began. As the force was lifting off the tarmac from the international airport, Adid’s agents on the scene were hastily warning their compatriots downtown via cellular phones that the Americans were on their way.

Footnote: It’s estimated that over 1,000 Somalis (civilian and military) were killed or wounded in the shootout. Adid was not at the hotel when the rangers arrived and thus was not apprehended. Two months after the shootout the Clinton administration flew the once-targeted warlord on an American military aircraft to a peace conference in Ethiopia. For obvious reasons, U.S. Marines rather than U.S. Rangers were assigned to provide armed protection for Adid.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:19:53 PM EDT
[#3]
And now the icing on the cake...

Adid'd own son was a US Marine serving in Somalia.

[url]http://attack22.com/archives/000682.shtml[/url]

Perhaps the most troubling fact of all this is that Mohammed Farah Aidid's son, Hussein Mohammed Aidid, who was in Somalia in 1993 serving active duty with the U.S. Marines, has now returned to Mogadishu to take his father's place as local warlord.

So we trained him and showed him how we would fight in Somailia. And surprise surprise he is the CURRENT warlord and just as vicious and hostile to the US (despite his oath [rolleyes] )as his father was, if not more.

Wanna bet if we ever go there again he will have the US Military Playbook down cold?

The events in the movie are mostly accurate but certain details were omitted such as the above.

And you thought you were pissed off before.

Next time some "We Are The World" asshole demand the US must do something to help these parts of the world beat the shit out of them. Or better yet, let THEM go help. Next time some third world shithole demands the US DO SOMETHING for them, nuke 'em. Problem solved. Seems if they can afford to put a AK in the hands of everyone over 10 years old, they could instead feed their people. But they prefer war as they have no repect for life and should be treated accordingly.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 1:09:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome Back !
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 5:30:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:07:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
[:(!]

This makes me sick that slick willie is
just walking around like nothing happen!
View Quote

Yeah, for those who missed it among the other stupifying facts.

AFTER the situation went to hell TWO requests for tanks and armor support were DENIED because of the Clinton Admin. Not before in the planning stages, but AFTER the first BH had gone down.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Bill Clinton and Les Aspin will suck Satan's ball sweat for all eternity for their moral and political cowardice.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Who would have dreamed the day would come when a DRAFT DODGER would be Commander In Chief and homeless vets would sleep in cardboard boxes in our nations Capitol.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Wanna [i]really[/i] get pissed off? Ol' Slick had the audacity to tell some of the [i]family members[/i] of those brave men who died that it was their [i]own fault[/i] because they were [b]"too aggressive."[/b] I kid you not. [pissed]
View Quote

WHAT!?!!???
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Unbelievable...

"In a another incident, the author said that weeks later family members of many of the dead were called to Washington, D.C., to testify at congressional hearings into the debacle.

"When Clinton heard they were in town, he called them into his office for a meeting and told them that part of the reason they were dead was their own fault," McKenny said. "He said they may have been responsible for their own deaths because they were 'too aggressive' in Mogadishu." "
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#15]
There are two x presidents that should have been tried for treason.
The first i am talking about is LBJ for recalling the air support for the USS Liberty and allowing them to be attacked for an extended period of time and all the lives lost in that time frame.
The next is slick willie for the above crimes against the United States of America.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#16]
And if THAT doesn't piss you off:
Adid's son returned to Somalia to take his father's place as Warlord.  On the latest anniversary of the Mogadishu shootout, Adid's son led the party that commemorated the Somali's "victory" over the US forces, and applauded as they cheered and laughed at a "screening" of BHD, whenever US Rangers were shown dead and dying.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Wanna [i]really[/i] get pissed off? Ol' Slick had the audacity to tell some of the [i]family members[/i] of those brave men who died that it was their [i]own fault[/i] because they were [b]"too aggressive."[/b] I kid you not. [pissed]
View Quote

He would have seen "too agressive" at that point!

I'd probalby be dead or in prison after the S.S. (Secret Service) pulled me off of him.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
And if THAT doesn't piss you off:
Adid's son returned to Somalia to take his father's place as Warlord.  On the latest anniversary of the Mogadishu shootout, Adid's son led the party that commemorated the Somali's "victory" over the US forces, and applauded as they cheered and laughed at a "screening" of BHD, whenever US Rangers were shown dead and dying.
View Quote

[pissed][pissed][pissed]!!!!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top