Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2002 6:37:23 PM EDT
I don't really like dogs:

They make me sneeze (cats do not: figure that one out), and want to hump my leg, so I am far from a friend of "man's best friend".

My philosophy is that animals have no rights, but that does not give humans carte blanche to abuse or neglect animals.

So,

It's a clear sunny morning and afternoon.
Temps started high in the morning, and keep climbing.

I roll into my first town, and I see a new Suburban with a nice Wells Cargo type trailer hitched to it, about halfway under a tree just off the roadway.

The vehicle will be exposed to direct sun within a few hours.

I stop and listen for a running engine, and there was none:
No carbon monoxide deaths this morning for me.

I run the plates: Not stolen.
I move along.

I got busy with a recovered stolen vehicle on the other side of my district, and didn't make it back to the first town until about 345, and I notice the Suburban and trailer are still there:
This is weird.

I take a closer look at the Suburban:

Dark Green color: Absorbs heat
Windows cracked about 1-1/2 inches

On the passenger side seat is a Blue Heeler:
Lot's of panting, but does not seem in terrible distress, but I am concerned because it's gotten really sunny and warm

National Weather Service later tells me the high temp was 102 today in the area, and add the humidity, heat index and heat buildup inside the vehicle, and you have an uncomfortable situation that I'm sure none of us would like to find themselves in.

Windows are pretty dark (more heat absorption), and all I see is a water bottle on the front passenger side floor lying on it's side.

Can't tell if it's open, or if the dog can drink from it.

I don't see any other water available for the dog.

I'm thinking of calling our animal control guys to do a vehicle extraction, when two Harley's roll up:
Male driver and female driver.

I ask the male driver if the Suburban and trailer are theirs, and the male driver's reply is "yes".

I ask in a nice, simple and straight forward manner, if they thought it was a good idea to leave a dog in a car like today while they went out riding all morning and afternoon.

It's over 100 degrees outside, sun is pounding down on this town at 5200 feet in altitude,  and laughing boy's answer is, with emphasis:

"I can do whatever I want with my dog".

After about 5 seconds of silence (to let his own words make their way back to his brain), I told him I'd be needing his driver's license.

We don't have a "felony stupidity" or "contempt of cop" statute in Arizona, so I went with misdemeanor Cruelty To Animals.

He did later show a water bowl on the back floor, but I didn't see it when I was looking through the windows.

For all I know, he put it there while I was doing the paperwork, and I could have cared less.

Please sign on the X sir, and press hard:
You are going through 4 copies.

BTW, the dog's name is "Dog".

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#2]
It's too bad you couldn't make him wait in the Suburban with the windows up for about an hour, while you carefully check him for warrants, and sloooowly write out the ticket.

Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Stupid people abound.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice work.

Clearly a couple of complete jackasses.  

When the f@ck did dogs (and animals) become just another toy to be used and abused and tossed when you're done?
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice job!  Why do people/this guy get combative from the get go? I have never understood that. Anyways, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife is a voluteer and foster for The Emergency Animal Rescue Service (they call themselves T.E.A.R.S). I can't tell you how sickening and abusive humans can be to animals. I'm not a dog fan (she has at least 6-10 here at all times trying to find them homes), but some of the pathetic things I've seen can really yank at your heart.

I really admire her for what she does. If any of you guys ever visit [url=http://alpinetek.netfirms.com/guns/]my website[/url], please visit the "pet links" at the bottom of the page if you happen to be looking for a pet. They will transport animals to just about anywhere.. We were recently part of a "relay shuttle" for an old Cocker. That old bastard went from South Alabama all the way up to New England somewhere.

We recently fostered a WONDERFUL St. Bernard I just gave up to a permanent master. Damn.... that was a good dog! He now lives in Chattanooga, Tennesee.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

BTW, the dog's name is "Dog".

View Quote

I wanted to name my dog "Dog" (that way everybody would know it's name) but SWMBO wouldn't let me.  

:)
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Good one Jay.  I take my dog into town with me once in awhile.  I will leave him in the truck, but only for 20 minutes or so when it gets in the 80's.  100 degrees, forget it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#10]
[beer] (from Eric & Debo)

Thanks Jay!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice! Job!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#12]
If you can justify breaking this man's property because his dog might be hot, what's to prevent you from doing it if his cat is hot? Or his gerbil? Or his pet spider? Or any spider? Is it because a spider isn't "lovable" ??? Who defines "lovable" ???

The Bill of Rights applies to people, not animals.

I know, you won't be the one justifying breaking this guy's window open to save a spider. But those enviro-whackos sure will! They need to "DO SOMETHING" because their need to feel important will make them feel pretty self-righteous as they swing the crowbar: "Of course this is right, it's a logical extention of what people do for children in hot cars!!!!"

I'm a dog owner myself, and although my dog is spoiled and loved, it's not a person.

If you can justify having laws to "protect" animals you like today, what's to prevent having laws to protect "bothersome" animals 100 years from now? Won't this just lead to another federal agency: The Agency to Prevent the Abuse of Animals We Like Today and Animals Other Legislaters Will Like in the Future (APAAWLTAOLWLF)???

What's to prevent some cop who doesn't like your NRA sticker from breaking open your vehicle because he says he needs to protect the rights of an animal?

Yes, the guy who left his dogs in the hot car is a dumbass neanderthal. But it bugs me that government gets involved in protecting the "rights" of non-humans.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Good going.Too bad you couldn't put the idiot in there for a couple hours.His response is what amazes me about people when dealing with a LEO.Instead of being respectful to you and probably not getting a ticket,he gives a smartass answear and gets a ticket for his trouble.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:30:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you can justify breaking this man's property because his dog might be hot, what's to prevent you from doing it if his cat is hot? Or his gerbil? Or his pet spider? Or any spider? Is it because a spider isn't "lovable" ??? Who defines "lovable" ???

The Bill of Rights applies to people, not animals.

I know, you won't be the one justifying breaking this guy's window open to save a spider. But those enviro-whackos sure will! They need to "DO SOMETHING" because their need to feel important will make them feel pretty self-righteous as they swing the crowbar: "Of course this is right, it's a logical extention of what people do for children in hot cars!!!!"

I'm a dog owner myself, and although my dog is spoiled and loved, it's not a person.

If you can justify having laws to "protect" animals you like today, what's to prevent having laws to protect "bothersome" animals 100 years from now? Won't this just lead to another federal agency: The Agency to Prevent the Abuse of Animals We Like Today and Animals Other Legislaters Will Like in the Future (APAAWLTAOLWLF)???

What's to prevent some cop who doesn't like your NRA sticker from breaking open your vehicle because he says he needs to protect the rights of an animal?

Yes, the guy who left his dogs in the hot car is a dumbass neanderthal. But it bugs me that government gets involved in protecting the "rights" of non-humans.
View Quote

There's always one, isn't there:

Did everyone else catch the part in my original post about the fact that I don't like dogs, and my belief that "ANIMALS HAVE NO RIGHTS", but that it does not give humans carte blanche to abuse or neglect them.

Let me say it again:
ANIMALS HAVE NO RIGHTS, but that does not give humans carte blanche to abuse or neglect them.

Maybe it's the "carte blanche" thing that is confusing him. [>:/]

Jay
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:34:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks and GOOD WORK, Jay.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:43:04 AM EDT
[#16]
We can break into cars to retreive people or animals in distress that have been left there by their stupid parents or owners. Usually the offending party is more apologetic and realise the error of their ways once we point them out to their dumb asses.

Once you've been a cop for a little while, you realise that outside of criminal intent, almost everything bad that happens (probably 95%) is the direct result of someones stupidity or carelessness, Consequently, there are a lot of needless deaths and serious injuries.

It took me about a year on the road before I stopped feeling empathy for these morons which was replaced with contempt. We all pretty much get what we deserve. Obviously, the dumb ass scooter trash in this case felt they had to play tough guy with the police a then got what they deserved for their carelessness and stupidity.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:56:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you can justify breaking this man's property because his dog might be hot, what's to prevent you from doing it if his cat is hot?
View Quote

Please quote the portion of AZCOP's post where he breaks the windows of the truck in question. Please quote the portion where he advocates or justifies doing so.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:58:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#19]
AZ,
Good job man!  I understand your feelings to animals...and I for one agree entirely.  NO "RIGHTS".  They ain't human...even though I often treated our old golden retriever like one.

Too bad you couldn't charge the moron with something more substantive...but thanks for taking the time to jack up the smartass prick anyway.

A couple of years ago, the wife and I had just parked our car in the Fort Belvior PX parking lot and were headed in when I noticed a little lab puppy...maybe three months old, yapping and jumping around in a very hot, dark colored, windows-up Explorer.  We approached the driver's side window and the puppy got SO excited and happy to see what he probably thought were his rescuers that he pee'd himself all over the driver's nice new velour seat!  I LMAO and so did the missus.

I briefly thought of smashing in a window to rescue the pup...but figured that the dog would be able to hold on for a few more minutes...so we then went on in to the PX and ratted out the driver to the security folks...giving them a detailed description of the vehicle, including the tags and where it was parked.  Sure enough, quick as a flash, here come the [no doubt pooch loving] MPs just as the "I'm just too busy to take Fido home then come back..." idiot dog owner.

You should have seen the surprised look on her face when she saw the MPs and then when she noticed her car seat!  How righteous for that pup!

Stupid wench!

(Once in a while being smug feels good too...)
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Let me say it again:
ANIMALS HAVE NO RIGHTS, but that does not give humans carte blanche to abuse or neglect them.

Maybe it's the "carte blanche" thing that is confusing him. [>:/]
View Quote

Some people have a hard time understanding the kind of man who would defend the interests of someone or something they don't like.  Or maybe it comes from the term "vehicle extraction" and some people not realizing that there are ways to open a car without breaking a window.  You did the honorable thing, don't worry about what people here say without the benefit of reading more than the subject line.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks Jay...!
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Good job Jay. Any chance that they'll take "Dog" away from this vermin? Maybe as part of a plea bargain or something? I shudder at the life that poor animal is going to have.
View Quote

That was an option, but I chose not to.

When they left, I was under the impression that "Dog" would be getting the royal treatment.

Jay
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Good Job Bud...[beer]

on your left.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:28:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks Jay

To those who leave  pets in any similar inhumane situation.----   [spank]

Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:24:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks, Jay.  Dogs are human, too.  I'm not sure about all Harley owners, though. [:)]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:27:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:32:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Good for you AZCOP....

Like someone else pointed out....maybe the dumbass biker would like 8 hours locked in an SUV in 105 degree heat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top