Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2002 11:12:32 AM EDT
This happened Sunday night and left me seriously pissed for a little while.

I merged onto the freeway behind another car that kept merging- onto the shoulder, into the other lane, back again...

I got the plate, called 911 and settled back to follow.

Because of the route this guy took, dispatchers tried to hand me off between chp and city and back again. Dropped call, called back. I'm in CHP territory when He enters his driveway.  I pull over and wait. And wait. Finally I get the idea and decide I'm going to hang around for a little while and see if anyone even rolled on it. I drove down the street and pulled over under a street light at an intersection and waited some more. Nobody ever showed.

I've seen some people on this board who think its ok to drink and drive. Lets you and I never cross paths. I watched this particular driver (who didn't look Canadian) completely cross the oncoming lane onto the opposite shoulder and back again, I'd say less than a second from colliding with an oncoming car. I was on the phone with the dispatcher when this occurred and was very specific about locations and directions.

Sometimes I feel like I'm pissing up a rope.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#1]
DUI, too much of a bother.. easier to write citations for doing 43 in a 40 and rake in the cash for the town/city...whatever.[BD]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Just wait a half hour "he should be passed out by then" and go to work on his car with a Baseball bat/Baton whatever you got. That way he wont be able to afford Beer for awhile.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I've called 911 4 different times from the highway and was disgusted with the way I was treated, like I was bothering them or something so I've vowed to never call them again for any reason other than being the first on the scene of an accident.  Then they come on tv and the radio and wonder why no one helps the police catch suspects anymore.  Totally clueless.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It is extremely hard to locate a moving car that somebody has called in and reported.  Almost literally a million different places they could be by the time the police respond to the original location travelling the right direction.
It sucks when you discover they often don't even bother heading that way for "lip-service and a pencil-whip".
View Quote

Yeah, but when someone is giving the play by play?

To be fair, I have had calls result in success, but this one was by far the most dangerous.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I was following a drunk on I-30 one night and called 911. We went through 4 cities and ended up in a fifth before a cop from the fourth city caught up to us. The dispatcher told me to keep up with the drunk and he was driving 85-90mph.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I watched this particular driver (who didn't look Canadian) completely cross the oncoming lane onto the opposite shoulder and back again,
View Quote
First, what does a Canadian look like?

Second, if this is because you think they drive on the left, think again.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I watched this particular driver (who didn't look Canadian) completely cross the oncoming lane onto the opposite shoulder and back again,
View Quote

View Quote

Think in terms of borders.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

That's what i took it to mean, too.....

Scott

Link Posted: 7/13/2002 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

That's what i took it to mean, too.....

Scott

View Quote

I've driven in Canada. Hmm, maybe thats why they were honking and swerving all around me. [BD]

Just kidding. I was trying to make an obtuse reference to the likely hood that he came from a country that doesn't keep its problems to itself. Baseball  cap, POS car with punched out trunk lock etc...

No offense to Canadians.

edited to answer the first question secondly;

As much as they hate it, [;)] a Canadian looks American. Thats why I thought my comment would be a little more obvious.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#14]
 We were nearly hit by a guy in a truck chugging silver bullets, so we called 911 and started tailing this idiot.  He was ALL over the road, bouncing off off the guardrail a couple of times and nearly hitting two other motorists.  We called 911 three times and followed this ass for about 15 miles.  The lady that he ended up rear ending was just completing physical therapy for a previous run in with another DUII.  We called 911 again (this time a little PO'd) to report the accident.  We then rushed the drunk (with open 12 pack on front seat) and told him to hold still (snagged his keys). In the end I was so damned pissed off, the cop let this guy go. The cop said the guy had just recently had Lasik eye surgery.  How the hell does that dismiss all of the other facts, including the open container in the vehicle??  If you have the answer I would love to hear it
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I've made lots of DWI arrests based off a motorist's call. It isn't always possible to catch up to the drunk before the caller loses sight of them or gets out of our jurisdiction, however. For everyone one I have caught up to, there were probably three or four I never even got close to. But we do try hard.

If you do get one these folks, and call it in, here are the things we really need (just from my own experience):
-License plate and vehicle description;
-Direction of travel/location;
-And stay on the phone as long as possible, updating the call-taker with your location;
-Don't do anything dangerous or get too close. Getting a drunk off the road is a good thing, but don't get yourself killed.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#18]
You followed this guy all the way to his house??

Dont you have anything better to do?
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Reaming Axel for doing what was right?  wtf?
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#20]
once he gets to his house...or anywhere else for that matter...you might as well quit wasting your time.  They cannot prosecute a DUI at that point because they cannot prove that the drinking wasn't done AFTER they stopped driving the vehicle.  He got home, started chugging, you know.  Technicality my friend.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 10:05:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not when I watch him almost take someone out  I don't. I suppose you do?

I know that when they get home the situation changes. Usually that is the end of the matter. In this case, the only reason I stayed in the area was to meet an officer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top