Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2002 9:50:35 PM EDT

AT&T is no help. While I commend the young lady for trying, she couldnt find my computer if I shoved it....in her trash can. Reading is fundamental....

I have never had much trouble, but today something weird started...10 minutes online and the connection goes dead. Like clockwork. They also said I had low speeds. It doesnt seem slow, but the difference between 80 & 100 mph is hard to see I guess.

Any clue as to where I need to look. No new software changes...I usually am online constant, but this is bumming me out....10 minutes coming fast, Ill be back......[b]THANKS![/b]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Did the lady check the network status on their end?
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:54:06 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind o cable modem do you have?
Single 'puter or on a  network?
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Sea- I dont know what she did or didnt do. Half our conversation was in Spanish, and I am from Ohio, my Spanglish sux!.

jt- RCA, single PC.....

It just started suddenly. Is there a logoff virus????

Thanks fellas.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Should've asked for someone else when they couldn't help you and when you couldn't understand the person.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:58:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:56:21 AM EDT
[#6]
reboot your computer

while doing the above, push the reset button on the back of the RCA modem (small recessed hole) for about 5 seconds. (I'm sure they've already asked you to do this.)

If that doesnt resolve anything, check the coaxial connectors, EVERYWHERE that the cable runs.  You should also NOT have any cable NOT hooked up to something. An 'open' connector is not good for system performance, let alone interference problems.

all that being done and you still have a problem, call AT&T.  Have them send someone out to check the condition of the signal at your modem.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:46:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I will call 'em back 2nite.......

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:56:26 AM EDT
[#8]
You check email now.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:59:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I've also had problems in the past.  Sometimes even the tech was baffled.  He blamed it on an outdated infrastructure.

Can you eliminate your household cabling as a potential source of the problem?  I tried that by running a cable directly from my modem to the splitter outside the house.  If it still doesn't work, this will prevent the techs from erroneously blaming your in-house cabling.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top