Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2002 6:09:55 PM EDT
I've been fighting a leaky roof for a couple of years now and I'm tired of patching it.  Time to get it redone.

I've phoned several of the local roofing companies that do residential work and I've only received one quote so far.  My home is approximately 50 squares (my understanding is one square is 100 square feet).

The quote I received was 12,000.00 to tear off and reshingle.  That's 240/square and seems high to me.

My father had his roof done about 4 years ago and it was about 6000 for a little less roof area.  I was thinking things should be in the 175/square area which would put me in the $9,000 ball park.

Anyone know what roofing contractors are getting in the south for a single layer tear off, disposal and reshingle with a decent architectural shingle?

Thanks,

Ryan
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I could never pay someone to do my roof...

Do it yourself...its simple work.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Stormbringer,

Been there done that ... I do almost all of my own Home Improvement type work including tile, painting, masonry, trim and detail woodwork.  I don't have time to do my roof or I would, I know the work is easy, we roofed a buddies stable a year or so ago ... easier when there's no tear off.

Ryan
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#3]
The 12k is NUTS!  Tab shingles cost about 30 bucks a square.  Fancy is a bit more.  $150 a square is a plenty IMHO.  Keep checking as there are a lot of shady people in roofing!!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a quote for my house; about 35 square, and it was $3,400. That's remove and haul off the old shingles, replace tar paper, and install new shingles. I thought that was high but my second estimate was $4,500. $5,500 for metal.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#5]
We have a 1800sqft. one story, not sure how many squares.  For 40yr. shingles it was about 9 grand with gutters.  For tile shingles it was fourteen.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Just moved into a large old house that needs a roof.  I received about 12 bids.  Tear off of all 3 layers and lay down 1/2 inch cdx plywood, flashing around chimney/skylights/gables, new vents, stormguard, 30lb felt, high profile ridges, 30 squares 30 year architectural shingles etc...  The bid I'm excepting is from a good company that's been around several years and a middle of the road bid.  About 8200 dollars.  I checked out several of their completed roofing jobs and they were all outstanding.  I have a weakness for quality.

The cheapest bids were the idiots who wanted to remove one layer and pound a new one on top of the remaining two and cedar shingle.  I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.  The cedar was worn out 50 years ago and they want to pound another set of nails through it.  Not my roof.

I wouldn't do a large roofing job myself.  It'd take me forever and the last thing I need is to replace my sheetrock because it rained on everything when the tarps blew off.  These guys will get it done in 2 days.

Get a lot of bids.  Check into the company you decide on and make sure they will back their work.  Spend your time shooting, drinking and chasing women, not worrying about your roof.

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I buy houses,fix them up and resell for a living. The three things I don't do on houses are roofs, gutters, carpet/congoleum. The average roof including tearoff is around  $3750.00 here. I'd keep getting estimates if I were you.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Outside of Pittsburgh, PA, have bids from $100 to over $200 per square.  34 square house with simple gentle pitch. Remove old, add ridge vents, replace gutters, add gutter covers.

Friends tell me to pick a weekend, and they'll show up to help, insisting it's an easy 1 day job.

Although have done 2 other houses, don't want to see friends or self, fall off.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#9]
BTT
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top