Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2002 2:12:14 PM EDT
"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion."

"I hold it, that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical."

AND OF COURSE:

"The tree of liberty must be freshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.  It is their natural manure."

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
AND OF COURSE:

"The tree of liberty must be freshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.  It is their natural manure."

View Quote

Ah yes, my absolute favorite!

Keving67
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#2]
"Yo, Weezy!"

George Jefferson
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"Yo, Weezy!"

George Jefferson
View Quote

Damn! You beat me to it!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#4]
"Whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends (securing the unalienable rights with which men are endowed by their Creator), it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it."   Thomas Jefferson

The germ of destruction of our nation is in the power of the judiciary, an irresponsible body - working like gravity by night and by day, gaining a little today and a little tomorrow, and advancing its noiseless step like a thief over the field of jurisdiction, until all shall render powerless the checks of one branch over the other and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated."  -- Thomas Jefferson, 1821

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."   Thomas Jefferson

"On every question of construction [of the Constitution], let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson,   June 12, 1823, The Complete Jefferson, p. 322.

I know of no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the  people themselves, and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise  that control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from  them, but to inform their discretion." - Thomas Jefferson, 1820.

"Enlighten people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."--TJ

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."--TJ

"Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of  himself. Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others?" -- Thomas Jefferson
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#5]
If he were alive today, he could rightfully say, "Told ya so"......
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#6]
My favorite, I wish I could shorten this one into a sig line:
I wish it were possible to obtain a single amendment to our Constitution. I would be willing to depend on that alone for the reduction of the administration of our government; I mean an additional article taking from the Federal Government the power of borrowing.
--Thomas Jefferson to John Taylor, 1798. ME 10:64
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top